T Nation

Main Workout, Then Jokers, Then FSL

Hi

I've been using 531 for last 18 months (531 and boring but big) and have recently bought the new beyond 531 book.

I'm wanting to do the following workout variation:

(1) Main 531 workout
(2) Joker sets
(3) First set last

Should I be adding accessory exercises to the end of this workout also? Or adding boring but big for example?

Just wasn't sure if the joker sets and first set last were to replace the additional accessory work?

I want to make sure im following the program as jim intended.

Thanks
B

i do jokers and FSL… then ill add whatever i think is needed in terms of extras…i would not add BBB. if im doing what i usually do,
531, then joker up to a decent single or triple, then 5x8 with FSL, thats plenty- BBB would be too much in my opinion and im a volume whore.

Other than what is shown in the Beyond book, NOOOOOOOOOOOO. Just do main work, Jokers and FSL. Only LB work is abs and back raises. All other UB work is done like page 34 shows.

Everyone I personally train gets stronger like this. Amazing how it doesn’t ever work for Internet crowd.

That’s perfect Jim, thanks for clarifying that!!!

Have a great Xmas!

I’m going to copy the superset exercise suggestions you give on page 34 for both my bench day and overhead press day.

I see on page 35 that you say it’s more difficult to superset accessory lifts for lower body workouts:

What exercise would you now recommend for including on a lower body day workout for these?:

1. Warmup
  2. Main workout
  3. Joker sets
  4. First set last sets

[quote]Bingobob wrote:
I’m going to copy the superset exercise suggestions you give on page 34 for both my bench day and overhead press day.

I see on page 35 that you say it’s more difficult to superset accessory lifts for lower body workouts:

What exercise would you now recommend for including on a lower body day workout for these?:

1. Warmup
  2. Main workout
  3. Joker sets
  4. First set last sets[/quote]

Ab work, back raises- assistance work is pretty lame and pointless if you train awesome. If you don’t train awesome, it becomes your primary focus. That’s a fact. Read it in a book.

In all honesty if you feel the need to do accessory work after main joker and fsl then you probabky didnt work hard enough on the main lift that day. Thats exactly how I train and have seen great results. The only thing I do is chins inbetween my pressing sets and abs on squat and deadlift days. Its so simple but so awesome

Cheers guys, that’s great.

I made great gains using 531 with boring but big and am excited to be starting a new variant of 531.

I’m 100% sure the gains will continue! :slight_smile:

Hi Jim,

I finished the first week of my new cycle using the jokers and first set last option.

Here is how my workouts looked:

Warm ups
5 x 40%
5 x 50%
3 x 60%

Main sets
5 x 75%
5 x 80%
5+ x 85%

“Joker” sets
5 x 90%

“First set last” set
5 sets of 5 @ 75%

Accessory work
Upper body days (3 sets of 10 chin-ups and 3 sets of 10 dumbbell rows)
Lower body days (3 sets of 10 back raises and 3 sets of 10 hanging leg raises)

Each of the workouts this week took about 45 minutes or so

Does this look ok or am I missing anything?

Thanks
B.

This comment was really helpful for me. -Jim
(Since I only have the Kindle version of the book, which doesn’t have page numbers, it took a little figuring to find that page 34 is close to location 800. Maybe this nugget will save the next guy a few minutes)