T Nation

Main Concern Before Starting a New Workout?

I'm in the process of writing a fitness book for a workout program I've been fine tuning for the past 2 or so years. The program is called Dynamic Plateau Training. It's pretty simple to do once you set it up and I find that it's a lot easier for me to stick to than workouts I've done in the past.

The easier it is to stick to, the higher the probability that you're going to see good results.

I won't go into too much detail about what the program is just yet, because that's not the purpose of this blog. But I will tell you that you can use my method for building muscle, dropping weight and cardio. Use can use my method to do pretty much anything you want to do to get and stay fit.

That's the beauty of it, you decide what you want to do based on your goals. I've always had a problem with choosing just a few exercises to do; I wanted to do so much. With this program you can do as many exercises as you want! Don't let yourself get bored.

I'm curious what kind of questions you guys have before you start a new workout program. What would be your main question or concern you have before starting a new workout? It can be any question, but please make it a serious question.

I'm going to be finishing up my book hopefully before the year's out and I want to be sure that I can focus on what you would really want out of a new workout. I want my book to be as complete as possible and to be able to answer as many of your questions as I can.

All I ask of you is one main question. I'll tell you what the first 30-50 people that ask a question I will send you a free copy of my book whenever I finish it. That is if you want it. Yes, completely free!

Your questions will help me make my program more complete and in turn I want to reward you with being able to read my program and try my workout for free. I would love to hear back from you with how well it worked and if you any other questions before trying it.

If you want a free copy of the book then send me your question and email address you want me to send it to in a private message on here. If you don't care to have the book and just want to tell me your question anyway then I'd love to hear them here in the forum. I look forward to reading all your questions!

People tend to select exercises/motions they like and toss out ones they don?t leading to imbalances in their physique and performance.

Example, the guy who only curls in the squat rack, no leg work except walking into the gym.

Anyone could be given a rep scheme (5x5, 3x5, HIT, ext.) but if left to choose their own exercises without guidance would be left with sub-optimal results.

?With this program you can do as many exercises as you want! Don’t let yourself get bored?

I am also interested in how you would address recovery. Again my concern is for the newb. Who thinks it requires 20 sets of curls to get ?the gunz?.

I know this may not exactly be what you?re looking for but how is this addressed?

I focus on full body… I stress that you should do full body. All I’m saying is that there’s a variety of different exercises that you can do for the same body part… you pick those and will be picking more than one.

And this isn’t set up so that you’re exhausted. When I first did it I would only do 4 exercises a day (2 supersets). You’ll have plenty of recovery time. All the newb has to do is learn the correct form and movements and they should be fine.

I’ll show my exact workouts in the book and they can be modified to your needs or you can copy me if you like. Or just look at them to get an idea of the skeleton of the program and modify the reps, the sets, how often you lift, the exercises you do, how many exercises each workout.

Believe me when I did this I wasn’t in the gym that long (most of the time not even an hour) and depending on the workout I was only in there 3 times a week.

It’s all based on your goals. Do you want to pack on the muscle, well then you’ll have to set it up for that. Do you want to drop fat, then it’ll have to be different than the muscle building one.

So I’m going to guess that it would be helpful that I break down a few basic goals and how you could change the workout to achieve those goals. I’ve even used the same method to increase my speed when running.

I know what you mean about people not wanting to lift legs, because they’re hard. But everytime I’ve done this I make sure that my whole body gets worked and each part will get worked in more way than one.

There’s a simple twist that I don’t want to reveal yet. But you definitely don’t workout everyday doing tons of exercises. Thank you for your questions though, this will help me address these concerns better. If you want a free copy, let me know how I can get it to you when I finish the book.

-Ben

[quote]RAGDE wrote:

I am also interested in how you would address recovery.
[/quote]

For the recovery issue you won’t be doing the same exercises all the time. You won’t be working just one body part a day or focusing on a certain body part too much during that week. There should be ample recovery time. I always seemed to progress as long as I kept up on my sleep.

I would want to know why I should do your program instead of the several dozen I’ve already tried and know the strengths and weaknesses of.

Granted, I would probably classify myself as an ‘intermediate’ lifter, and your program is probably targeted towards newbs who don’t know anything at all. So that may not be the feedback you’re looking for. Good luck.

[quote]Otep wrote:
I would want to know why I should do your program instead of the several dozen I’ve already tried and know the strengths and weaknesses of.

Granted, I would probably classify myself as an ‘intermediate’ lifter, and your program is probably targeted towards newbs who don’t know anything at all. So that may not be the feedback you’re looking for. Good luck.[/quote]

That’s a great question and I’d hope people would ask that before hopping into something. I will be sure to show the strengths and weaknesses of my program and even compare it to some I’ve done in the past.

This program isn’t just for beginners though, I think it could work for anyone. But your question sparks questions from me.

Have you ever done a program where you’ll have days, maybe even weeks where you make no progress at all? You hit plateau and seem to be going no where? Well, with my program, unless you’re dropping fat too fast, you shouldn’t have that problem.

Do you have days where you go into the gym and it’s like pulling fingernails to get you to even be there? You’re doing the same thing over and over and you happen to hate this day because it’s “legs day”? With my program there’s a lot of variety that should not only keep you interested in going to the gym but it’ll also keep your body guessing so it can’t adapt as quickly (plateau) and most times you go in you’ll be able to see your progress once you put it on paper.

I know it’s hard right now to come up with just general questions when I’m not revealing my whole program just yet. But these are great questions, keep them coming!

I always look for the “why” behind the program design. For example, Destroying Fat by Thibs is one of favorite programs, because it’s more of a templete then a set in stone program. I’ve always found that knowing the thought process behind a program makes it much easier to tweak, which in turn allows me to get more milage out of it, as well as adding tools to my toolbox for designing my own programs.

[quote]ninjaboy wrote:
I always look for the “why” behind the program design. For example, Destroying Fat by Thibs is one of favorite programs, because it’s more of a templete then a set in stone program. I’ve always found that knowing the thought process behind a program makes it much easier to tweak, which in turn allows me to get more milage out of it, as well as adding tools to my toolbox for designing my own programs.[/quote]

Great point and that’s exactly how my program is… it’s more of an idea, a backbone that you can modify to fit your needs and I’ll go over why I chose to create it. I’m actually using my program mixed with EDT right now, that’s how “tweakable” it is. Thanks for the questions guys. That’s about all the questions I’ll really need for now, I’m going to put the finishing touches on it and I’ll try to post back on here whenever I’m finished with it.