Maher vs. Miller

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
MikeShank wrote:
I have never liked bill maher, I always found him to be arrogant douchebag who thinks he knows more than everybody else. He talks down to people on his show and just has this shitty aura about himself.

This is precisely what makes him awesome. If it seems that he is talking down to people its because they need talking down to. As far as knowing more than anyone else – maybe not, but so what? Our leaders do the same thing. At least he tells it like it is and doesn’t pander. The fact that he can be up front about being embarrassed by the way Americans voted in the last election speaks alot to his integrity and principles although I disagree with him on that. Bush is an idiot and a liar and the voting public are nothing more than sheep looking for leadership so its hard for me to feel embarrassed any more.
[/quote]

He only thinks he knows more than everyone else. He really doesn’t. This is what makes him sickening to watch.

He may know more than you on the subject material and you may be impressed with that.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
He may know more than you on the subject material and you may be impressed with that. [/quote]

I said that he may not know more than anyone else on the subject matter – but who cares. The measure taken from the average American–is that he is in fact more informed–weather you agree with his opinion or not.

I actually know both of them personally. I’ve always been a big fan of standup comedy, and when I had the opportunity to meet them socially, I did (on different multiple occasions).

Independently of his political views (which I have a problem with), Miller is a dumb clown. When he’s in an environment he has control over, and he has time to prepare, he can be funny, however he’s not naturally funny – he needs the control and the homework. He is simply not an intelligent guy – maybe a hard working one, but definitely not intelligent and naturally talented.

Maher is more intelligent, and I admire his ethics – he’s incredibly honest and ballsy. I respect that a lot. He will always tell you exactly what’s going on his mind, which can be interesting, and he seems to be a really and genuinely “nice guy”. However, I’ll admit that his general disregard for accuracy and science, while very common in the business, annoys the heck out of me.

Although well-intended, he does seem to be willing to touch subjects he has no understanding of, which, again, although common, I find obnoxious when coming from him – maybe because other than that I actually like the guy. After meeting him in person it’s impossible not to.

Still, my favorite comedian is a guy who is in slightly different business but that is so incredibly talented and intelligent that it just blows me away: Craig Ferguson.

Not only he’s capable of consistently delivering a Late Night Show that is funnier and more interesting than either Jay Leno, Dave Letterman or Conan O’Brien – or any other comedian, for that matter – this is a guy that never spent a day in college (he barely finished high-school) but knows more about just about anything – including pretty advanced science – than anyone I’ve every met that works in the Entertainment industry. And what he does not understand, he either researches it before he talks about it, or he doesn’t talk about it at all.

Plus, he IMPROVISES an 11+ minute monologue EVERY WEEKDAY for over a year now – one that is consistently funny. THAT is what I call intelligence and innate talent.

Every time I go to LA I go watch his show live in the CBS Studio.

If you haven’t watched it, you can Tivo it on weekdays at 12:30am on CBS.