Magick's Training Log v2

Yesterday-
5x5 EMOM Armor-building complex with 8kg.

Felt easy.

Today-
5 rounds of-
5 pull-up
10 push-up
20 squat
with 15lb in backpack. Took 1:45 minute rest between sets. Took ~12:00
Felt good until the last set of pull-ups. Not able to quite make full ROM at the top.

1x15- double KB front squat with 16kg KBs
1x12- double KB OHP with 16kg KBs
Did these ‘touch and go’- no pauses between reps.

10 EMOM of-
100lb sandbag bearhug carry back and forth with 10lb in backpack.
Took round 8 off to breathe. I’d like to think it’s because of the heat. This really tired me out.

1 Like

Double KB row with 16kg- 7/6/5/5/5
Dip- 7/6/5/5/5
Cossack squat- 7/6/5/5/5
Standing ab-wheel - 7/6/5/5/5

The ab-wheels felt a bit easier.

5x5 EMOM Armor-building complex with 10kg.
This felt tougher than I expected it to.

1 Like

Today-
5 rounds of-
5 pull-up
10 push-up
20 squat
with 15lb in backpack. Took 1:45 minute rest between sets. Took ~11:52

10 double double KB front rack carry with 8kg back and forth with 20lb in my backpack.
Took ~4:43 Rested for 10 deep breathes with the bells on my sides after set 6.

10 KB farmer’s carry back and forth with 20lb in my backpack.
One 8kg KB and one 12kg KB. Alternated after 5 laps.
Took ~4:16

2 Likes

WOD Kalsu with 20 min cap.
Did 5 reps with double 16kg KB.

Rested on the following sets-
Had to take 10 quick breathes before starting the thrusters on the last set.

It’s been a while since I did a truly hard conditioning session. This fit the bill.
Right knee has been feeling a bit achy and sore since I started doing the amour-building complexes.

1 Like

Today-
5 rounds of-
5 pull-up
10 push-up
20 squat
with 15lb in backpack. Took 1:45 minute rest between sets. Took ~11:56

Superset-
Standing ab-wheel-2x5
Bent-knee inverted row- 2x7

10 EMOM-
50lb one-arm front rank sandbag carry back and forth the house with 30lb in my backpack.

Moderately challenging, not bad.

1x10 double KB RDL with 16kg
1x10 double KB row with 16kg

Let’s stop being so bloody imbalanced with the training now. I took long enough of a mental break. I’m feeling the desire to push the training again.

2 Likes

WOD Helen
Subbed 25 no jumping burpees for the 400m run.
pull-ups-
10+2
8+4
6+4+2
Took ~13:02

Didn’t feel that bad really. The burpees sucked the most. I did these as fast as I could, which ended up with me needing to take rests here and there on set 2-3. Next time I’ll do them with 2 breathes in between so that I can maintain the effort, which I think is what’s really intended.

Body is still feeling really sore and beat down (especially the upper body) from Kalsu. I felt really sore during the burpees, which surprised me since I didn’t feel that sore yesterday.

1 Like

Today-
5 rounds of-
5 pull-up
10 push-up
20 squat
with 15lb in backpack. Took 1:45 minute rest between sets. Took ~12:09

Standing ab-wheel- 1x6
1x12 double KB RDL with 16kg
1x12 double KB row with 16kg

10 EMOM-
100lb sandbag alternating shoulder carries with 10lb in my backpack.
Felt pretty good!

1 Like

WOD Grace with 50lb sandbag- ~2:04
10/1/9/2/8/3/7/4/6/5 double KB front squat with 16kg + 5 jumping burpees after each- ~10:14
WOD Isabel with 50lb sandbag- ~4:27
Total time ~16:47

I wanted to start today with Grace and spent my lunch walk thinking about what to do after. This is what I came up with.

The front squats felt fine. I simply couldn’t move back and forth without pausing on this. This feels really brutal even with light weight.

The snatches weren’t really snatches. I should try doing this with Isabel first next time to see if I can actually do snatches with a sandbag.

1 Like

Today-
5 rounds of-
5 pull-up
10 push-up
20 squat
with 15lb in backpack. Took 1:30 minute rest between sets. Took ~11:03

The pull-ups felt really strong and stable. Squats felt weak.

5 overhead KB carry back and forth with 8kg KBs.
5 front rack KB carry back and forth with 8kg KBs.
Took ~6:12

I had the bright idea of making the overhead carries easier by resting after every back and forth in the front rack position. I gave up by the fourth set because of fatigue; I think the act of pressing them made the fatigue greater. I just don’t feel the energy to give it my all today.

1 Like

WOD Fran with double 16kg KBs and bent-knee inverted rows instead of pull-ups.
Took ~4:52

Nice and quick. Reps went like this I think-
19+2
10+5

1 Like

Yesterday-
5 rounds of-
5 pull-up
10 push-up
20 squat
with 15lb in backpack. Took 1:30 minute rest between sets.

Today-
100 burpee pull-ups. Took ~18:55
Cardio felt fine. The pull-up muscles didn’t.

2 Likes

Today-
5 rounds of-
5 pull-up
10 push-up
20 squat
with 15lb in backpack. Took 1:30 minute rest between sets. Took ~11:23. I think I lost track of time here and there. Felt a bit tougher on the push-ups.

AMRAP 100lb sandbag to alternating shoulder in 10 minutes.
Did 29 right before the timer rang, did 30 a bit afterwards.
I didn’t expect to be able to do this much. Did like 6 and realized I overpaced myself- the first couple of reps felt really easy, and then I quickly ran out of steam. Then I saw that I got to 25 reps with a little over 3:30 minutes left and decided to go for 30.

Lower back feels sore.

Left hamstring felt sore from this after the rows.

Then I did 12 hanging knee raises because I should be doing some ab workouts sometimes.

2 Likes

20 min AMRAP of bear complex with 50lb sandbag
I think I did 77 or 78 total. Lots of fatigue by the end- couldn’t do more than 2 in a row at any time.
Start felt slow because I wasn’t good at passing the sandbag over my head. Got used to it and it went a lot faster.

Paused (but didn’t stop timer) at around 5 min in when I noticed the sandbag leaking sand again… I think I’m going to need to make an actual sandbag instead of this hackjob.

2 Likes

Felt a bit drained, especially my legs.

Today-
5 rounds of-
5 pull-up
10 push-up
20 squat
with 15lb in backpack. Took 1:30 minute rest between sets. Took ~11:28
I think it’s because I went a bit slower and more deliberate on the squats today. Felt good overall.

Standing ab-wheel- 1x10
Bent-knee inverted row- 1x12
Done with a short pause at the top.
Nordic hamstring curls- practice.
I bought one of those tools that you can hook to the door to do Nordic hamstring curls and have been trying them in a manner that Al Kavadlo the bodyweight guru recommended- where you effectively bend at the hips and slowly straighten the bend out.

I can’t do this at all- my hamstrings refuse to work in this fashion. Heck, I’m not even entirely sure if my hamstrings are working sometimes, so this is good. I definitely feel my hamstrings doing something, especially the left hamstring. It just doesn’t work the way it’s supposed to.

So I’m calling this practice and would like to do it daily/whenever I remember to.

I did some very rough calculations of the distance of the ‘back and forth’ with my Apple Watch and came to ~100ft. Actually, the Apple Watch was completely all over the place, but 100ft seemed to be a good middle ground. 400meter ~= 1312.34ft, so 14 ‘back and forth’ is 400 meter to me. Good enough.

14 double KB farmer’s carry with 8kg back and forth. Took ~5:06
Didn’t need to rest. Felt pretty tiring in my traps and shoulders.
14 double KB front rack carry with 8kg back and forth. Took ~5:29
Rested after the 9th, 11th, and 13th set. This really fatigues my left shoulder.

2 Likes

WOD Nancy in ~20:32
I ran inside my house and used double 8kg KBs. Overhead squats with KBs feels really awkward; pretty sure the reps sucked. Who cares.

Wasn’t much of an ass kicker- it’s hard to jog effectively in a house. Nice little conditioning workout overall.

Then did-
4x25 KB swing with 24kg.
Alternated with 5 reps of dips and bent knee inverted row.

Edit- haha, my calves and ankles are sore because of the repeated reverses I did during the jogs. Feels a bit like how I feel after hiking. Hopefully they’re not too bad tomorrow.

2 Likes

I have a sore throat and am feeling a bit run-down.

5 rounds of-
5 pull-up
10 push-up
20 squat
with 15lb in backpack. Took 1:30 minute rest between sets. Took ~10:46

Good time. Felt fine.

KB Renegade row- total of 12 reps with 8kg KBs

I suck at these and they hit just about everything that I’m very weak at, so I feel it’s good to do them.

Nordic hamstring curls- practice.

3 Likes

Felt out of it yesterday, so no exercise.
Still feeling a bit off today. Much better than yesterday though.

30 EMOM of humane burpees
Started to feel tired around set 17. Things really started to suck starting from set 23 or so. Left hand can’t make a fist right now.

I impulse-bought a pair of Titan 12k-32kg adjustable KBs.

1 Like

On Monday-
5 rounds of-
5 pull-up
10 push-up
20 squat
with 15lb in backpack. Took 1:15 minute rest between sets.

Then 14 back and forth with the 50lb sandbag, trying my best not to put it down. I failed at some point and then had the bright idea to just carrying it on my back. that made it a lot easier.

Today-

I’m switching gears and moving onto Easy Strength. I bought the Omnibook and skimmed it. I tried opening up my Titan adjustable KBs to find that I need a wrench to actually get at the plates inside, so that will have to wait until I get a wrench.

I’ll be doing this for the next couple of weeks-

armor-building complex for warm-up (5 reps with very light weight)
Clean and press- 3x3
weighted pull-up- 3x3
one-legged RDL for now- 3x3
ab-wheel-8- 10 reps total.
Some sort of loaded carry for some distance.

I’ll probably be doing some sort of WOD or conditioning workout afterwards.

So today-
5x armor-building complex with 8kg KBs.
Clean and press with 16kg KBs.
Weighted pull-up with 20lb in my backpack.
one-legged RDL with 8kg KBs.
standing ab-wheel- 2x4
7 back and forth farmer’s walk with 16kg KBs

Everything felt easy except the farmer’s walks. We’ll see where this goes.

2 Likes

Clean and press with 16kg KBs.
Weighted pull-up with 20lb in my backpack.

Felt better with each set as it’s supposed to.

one-legged RDL with 8kg KBs.
Felt a lot better than yesterday.
standing ab-wheel- 1x5, 1x3
Note to self- don’t go pass 3 reps on the ab-wheels even when they feel great in the future.

7 back and forth KB cross carry with 8kg- 2:55

I want to work around 7 because that’s about 200m, which seems like a decent total distance. I hope to be able to do it without stopping with light weights and use EMOM for heavier weights.

10/1/9/2/8/3/7/4/6/5 goblet squat with 24kg + 5 renegade rows with 8kg KBs- ~9:50

The rows began to take a while. I wasn’t moving as fast as I could. The squats felt really easy; like I wasn’t squatting any weight at all really.

1 Like

3x3 Clean and press with 16kg KBs
3x3 Weighted pull-up with 20lb in my backpack

The clean and press felt effortless. The pull-ups felt a bit of strain in my hand, probably because of how sweaty and humid things are in my room.

3x3 one-legged RDL with 8kg KBs.
Feeling new muscles, which I assume is a good thing.

3x3 standing ab-wheel

I can do a really easy feeling standing ab-wheel up to 3 reps, hence sticking to 3x3 for the time being.

7 EMOM back and forth sandbag bearhug carry with 100lb.
Felt pretty fine. Began adding a squat after the ‘forth’ starting from the second set. I’ll keep doing that and maybe add more reps depending on how it feels.

10x10 EMOM jumping burpee
jumping burpees are always something else entirely than the non-jumping one. Completed up to set 4 with ease, started to slow down in 5-7, and had to take mini-breaks after 6 reps or so for the remainder.

Solid little conditioning. Right knee started off a little annoyed but fatigue deadened it.

2 Likes