Magick's Training Log v2

Superset-
Squat- 45/115/135/165/195lbx5, 225lb, 3x7, 1x4 (fast tempo)
NG pull-upx6, Toe to bar- 1x6, 3x5
Dip-2x8, 2x6
Alternated between toe to bar and dip.

Back felt sore on the pull-ups so I switched over to the toe to bar. Dip felt… ok. Squat felt fine.

Power clean- 95/115/135lbx3, 160lbx5 (30 sec rest between each rep of 160lb)
Rep 1-2 felt difficult, rep 3-5 felt fine.

Clean grip reverse lunge- 45lbx5, 85lb, 10/10/8/5/5
Something came close to exhaustion on the third set, so I took it easy.

Lat pull-down- 115lb, 9/9/9/6/6
Incline bench- 45/95lbx5, 115lb, 12/8, 95lb, 12/8

Incline treadmill walk yesterday at a very low incline. Felt exhausted due to self-inflicted pointless late night sleep.

And… I inflicted myself with more pointless late night sleep today. I think I inadvertently changed my sleep cycle when I was working till 1-2AM every night a couple of months ago, and now I’m having a hard time getting out of it. The dumb part is that I keep pushing it later and later…

Today-
DB bench- 30/40/50/60/70lbx5, 80lb, 2x6, 1x5, 1x4 (90 second rest on 80lb)
DB row- 60/70lbx10, 80lb, 3x10
RFESS- 4x10
Alternated between row and RFESS

The DB bench felt about the same as last week until the last set. I am exhausted so I don’t mind.

BTN press- 45lbx5, 75lb, 5x10
Push-pressed the last rep of set 4. Push-pressed rep 6-10 on set 5.

BB row- 45/95/115/155/175lbx5, 135lb, 18/12

175lb felt fine. I find it interesting that I’m getting stronger at lifts that I do rarely or the assistance stuff in general. I’m assuming that means I am getting stronger overall.

COVID-19 update cause that’s the rage these days- The gym only had about a quarter compared to what I regularly see. It was nice. Ordinarily I’d have to wait 5-10 min to get a bench for DB bench if I got to the gym at the time I arrived. No wait at all today.

Squat- 45/115/155/185/215lbx5, 245x10, 185lb, 2x10 (90 second rest from 245lb onwards)
Kneeling ab-wheel-4x8
Push-up-4x10
Alternated between push-up and ab-wheel.
Did 45lb-245lb with regular tempo, 185lb with fast tempo. No exaggerated soreness today. 245lb felt good.

Deadlift-
135/225lbx5, 265lb, 10x5 (Hook-grip, TnG, with chalk)
I really didn’t want to do these, but they felt fine.

Incline BB bench-
45lbx5, 95lb, 5x10

Last set got a bit tough.

Lat pull-down-
115lb, 4x9, 1x7

Tried jogging yesterday but side-stitches killed that idea. I ate dinner about an hour and a half before this, so I blame it on that. Incline walked for 30 minutes instead.

My county has officially declared that they don’t want to see anyone outside for anything other than “essential” travel for the next month. I consider going to the gym essential at this point for burning off energy and saving water at home, but I don’t think the county will agree with my assessment, so I’m going to be stuck at home and the apartment gym until the apartment decides to shut down the apartment gym too.

Going to use this time to do some GMB programs. I’ve been wanting to do them for a long time but couldn’t figure out how to fit them in. I’m stuck at home working anyways, so I might as well figure out how to fit these things in throughout the day. I may go the apartment gym so that I can do pull-ups on the smith machine every other day or so and jog on the treadmills.

Hey man, you still around?

Yes!

I’ve decided to utilize this time to get leaner, since I did get pretty heavy for my height; ~185lbish. I’d like to drop down to mid 160lbs again. I think I’d look reasonably lean if I got to that. Currently down to ~176-177lb.

Training is bare bones. I’m doing bodyweight stuff and using a jury-rigged sandbag to get some weight for squatting and overhead pressing. Said sandbag squats are actually pretty freaking hard- I got what I think is ~80lb in the bag. It’s difficult to powerclean and I can only get about 10 reps in before I feel like I’m going to collapse, so clearly it is good enough for now.

I haven’t been logging since I’m not lifting at the gym right now, and since I’m not logging I don’t visit the forum all that often.

How’re you doing? Have you been able to train?

I guess I’ll update this.

My parents wanted me to move back in since I don’t need to commute for work right now.

My brother went on an every other day fast to lose weight. I decided that I have a couple spare pounds to lose too, so I decided to do it with him.

I may drink a fruit shake in the morning and eat some nuts and eggs at night, but it is inconsistent and not really planned. The point is that I eat very little every other day. IDGAF what I eat on my eating days; am not hitting 1gram/lb of protein either. I eat just when my mom prepares lunch and dinner. It’s free rent and free food; I don’t want to make things difficult by asking for specific meals or taking up the kitchen and fridge space to cook for myself.

Weight is down to about 172lb at the end of the fast day now. I started this weighing ~185lb so about 13lb down in about 2 monthish? I don’t remember when I started doing this exactly.

Walked quite a bit back in March-May when the weather was good. Averaged a minimum of 3 miles a day to a max of 6-7 mile a day. Stopped doing this in mid-June when it started to get hot and the Sun started to sting.

Weight loss was pretty good when I was doing all that walking. Definitely slowed down when I stopped walking.

Work outs are bare-bones. Initially it was just a bodyweight circuit with sandbag squats and sandbag OHP. Then my sister in law introduced me to a youtube fitness person named Chloe Ting. I’ve recently started doing her workouts after the circuits.

Doing those videos after the bodyweight circuit feels amazingly difficult and my core/legs feel like they’re burning.

Recently settled on doing this-
3x
chin-up close to failure
dip close to failure
~60lb sandbag squat- currently up to 17 reps per set. Could do more but I learned my lesson.
either lunges or single leg deadlift for a bunch of reps

Chloe Ting video afterwards.

Can now do 13 reps of chin-up and upwards of 15 reps of dip with pretty good form. Obviously should be better at it since I’ve lost weight. Noticed some more definition on my upper back and arms, so I figure the dip and chin-ups are good.

Didn’t do the sandbag squats for a while and so struggled to do 12 reps with the 60lb when I got back into it. Decided that it’s really pathetic to struggle with a 60lb sandbag and gritted out 2 sets of 25/30 rep about a week and a half ago. Now the 17 reps are pretty easy.

Can press the sandbag for up to 20 reps. I think I was able to do a max of 25 reps a month or so ago, so I got weaker at this. Probably because I am inconsistent at doing them.

I’m doing static strength work on fast days- crow poses, various planks, leg raise holds, back lever progressions, etc. All fun stuff.

Ran ~4 miles every other day back in April/May too. Had to put that on hold when my ankle/feet started to get what felt a lot like overuse injuries. Back to normal now when I tried a 3 mile jog a week ago. Can hold an approx. 10 minute pace for three miles with “relative” ease, so that’s also nice. I’ve never been able to do this, so it’s fun to see progress.

I’m itching to go back to the gym. Probably won’t happen for a long time, even if the gyms do re-open in this area. My parents aren’t young and healthy, so it would be utterly stupid of me to risk bringing the virus into the household.

So I’ll probably be doing the above work-out plan for the time being.

Current goals are-

Keep dropping weight until I hit 160lb. Evaluate physique then and decide if I want to drop more.
Hold a 10 minute deep squat, because I realized just how hilarious it is that my mom, who probably never did a squat workout in her life, can drop down into a deep squat to look at something on the floor/get something from the bottom cabinet and then stay there as long as it takes for her to get whatever she needs done.

Whereas I feel like my calves/lower back/hip/feet are on fire if I try to stay in a deep squat for longer than 3 minutes. Oh, and I need to do a couple second warm-up to even contemplate the thought of dropping into a deep squat.

1 Like

I’m going to start logging more frequently again.

Weight is down to ~169lb at the end of fast day, so I lost about 2lb in the last three weeks.

Jogged 3.5 miles today. Took ~40 min based on my sister-in-law. I jogged 3 miles in ~27-28min last week but I felt like I was dying by the end. I felt like I could have continued forever today. Legs started to feel a bit heavy but breathing and the general feeling of exertion felt fine.

Current goal with jogging is to be able to move for 5+ miles without feeling the need to stop. Not too concerned with time until I get this done achieved first.

Also did two separate sessions of plank holds. First session is three one minute hold with 30 second breaks in between. Second session is several hours later and one three minute hold with breaks in between where I move to a downward dog position to rest the upper body as needed.

Been doing this every other day for the last couple of days. At first my upper body would feel hammered after the two sessions. Now it feels a lot better, so I think I’m seeing improvements.

1 Like

Giant set-
Chin-up-8/9/10
“Sandbag” squat- 80lb, 1x10, 2x12
Dip-3x12
Single leg deadlift-3x6
Forward lunge-3x8

Superset-
“Sandbag” OHP- 70lb, 2x15
inverted row-2x12

Chloe Ting 20 min workout.

I thought of going easier today, then decided against it starting from set 2.
I had a hard time getting the “sandbag” into a squat position with 80lb in it for a while. I finally figured out today that I need to treat it more as bearhugging the weight than trying to power-clean it off the floor. I could power-clean it off the floor when it was 60lb but the grip simply isn’t there with 80lb.

I have no idea how I’m going to bearhug it off the floor and then press it when I get 80lb in it. I suppose that is for later.

The ab/core portion of those Chloe Ting workouts are incredibly challenging

Yesterday-

Giant set-
Wide grip pull-up-3x8
“Sandbag” squat- 80lb, 3x15
Dip-2x12, 1x10 RP with 3 more reps after my brother’s set.
Single leg deadlift-3x6
Forward lunge-3x8

Superset-
“Sandbag” OHP- 70lb, 1x16, 1x10
Inverted row-2x12

The 16th rep “broke” me.

Chloe Ting 15 min workout

2 mile walk afterwards.

Giant Set
Chin-up-2x11, 1x10
“Sandbag” paused squat- 80lb, 3x7 (3 second pause)
Dip-2x13, 1x11 REP with 4 more reps after my brother’s set
Single leg deadlift-3x6
Forward lunge-3x8

Inverted row- 2x13, 1x8

Yesterday-
Inverted row -10x10
Push-up-10x10
Body squat-10x10

Today-
3x 80 second planks with 30 second rest in between.
Random hanging leg raises to parallel here and there while playing with the doggy.

4 mile jog. Didn’t time it, but I think I went faster simply because I’m pretty sure I was putting more force into each step. Felt easier than the 3.5 mile last week.

2 mile walk earlier in the day.

Giant set-
NG pull-up- 3x9
“Sandbag” squat- 1x7 (3 second pause), 2x10
Dip- 2x13, 1x11 RP with 3 more reps after my brother’s set
Single leg deadlift-3x6
Forward lung-3x8

Inverted row- a bunch
“Sandbag” OHP- 70lb, 1x10

Chloe Ting 20 minute workout.

The sandbag press felt pretty tough today, so didn’t do any more.

Giant set-
Wide grip pull-up-3x8
“Sandbag” squat- 80lb, 3x10
Dip- 13/12/8
Single leg deadlift-3x6
Forward lunge-3x8

“Sandbag” OHP- 70lb, 3x10
Inverted row- 2x12

Figured out why the OHP sucked so much before. It turns out that the weight shifts quite a bit depending on how the “sandbag” is orientated. I have a terrible time pressing it or even picking it up when it is faced a different way than I’m used to.

Dip strength wasn’t there today. Not sure why.

Yesterday-
Giant set-
Pullup-3x5
“Sandbag” squat- 80lb, 3x5
“Sandbag” good morning- 80lb, 3x5
Dip-3x6
Single leg deadlift-3x6
Forward lunge-3x8

Superset-
Pike push-up-2x12
Inverted row- 2x14

Took it easy.

Today-
3 mile jog.

Went a bit faster than last few times. Was definitely feeling it physically by the end of the jog but I recovered pretty quickly after I stopped.

Giant set-
Backpack chin-up-+20lb, 2x5, 2x6
Backpack squat- +20lbx10, +35lb, 2x15
Backpack push-up-+20lbx10, +35lb, 2x10
Backpack forward lunge-+35lb, 3x8

Backpack inverted row-+20lbx10
DB Z-press- 15lb, 2x20
Inverted row- 2x15

Fun day.

Giant set-
Close-grip pull-up-3x9
Modified single-leg squat-3x8
Dip-10/11/10
Single leg deadlift-3x6

DB z-press-15lb, 2x20
Inverted row-15/16

Giant set-
NG pull-up-3x10
“Sandbag” squat- 88lb, 3x10
Dip-2x13, 1x11 (failed the 12th rep)
Single leg deadlift-3x6
Lunges-3x8

Chloe Ting 15 min video
1 mile walk

Very hot today.

Didn’t lift on Saturday because the heat got to me.

Giant set-
Wide grip pull-up-2x10, 1x8 RP witih 2 more reps after my brother’s set
“Sandbag” squat- 88lb, 3x10
Dip- 2x13, 1x12
Single leg deadlift- 3x6
Lunges-3x8

Chloe Ting 20 minute workout.

DB OHP- 15lb, 2x20
Inverted row-2x16

Giant set-
Backpack chin-up-+20lb, 2x6, 2x5
DB thrusters with backpack- 15lb DB and 20lb backpack- 3x15
Backpack good morning-3x5
Backpack push-up-+20lb, 3x15

Backpack inverted row0+20lb, 3x10

Weight is down below 165lb on eating very little days, so I’ve effectively lost 20+lb since May now.

Pretty pleased with myself. I hoped I’d have six packs by now but not quite- clear visible top abs and a bit of obliques but still have flab on my lower belly. It appears I have a lot of fat to lose elsewhere.

I don’t think I lost strength anywhere besides my lower body because of the dips and chins. Fortunately the “sandbag” squats appear to be heavy enough to create a training stimulus, as I don’t seem to be losing any size on my legs after I started doing these. I think I can load my backpack to well over 100lb, and I think doing 100lb “sandbag” squats are more difficult overall than doing 225lb back squats, so I think I’m good.

Only thing I cannot train effectively right now is the hinge. Oh well, can’t have everything.

All in all- very pleased with how things are going physically. Still plan on dropping to 160lb and evaluate from there.