Magic One Arm Chins

Theres a great book coming out on one-arm chinsAlso how to do a unassisted GHR. MIDKNIGHTVEGAS

A great book on the subject,along with unassisted GHR.Theres about 7 exercises on display.Its like coach Somners and Charles Poinquin stuff.

Its a skill.Theres a certain trick to doing it.Its like learning how to do handstands or pistols.Your 2 arm pullups mean nothing.Its like rideing a bike .Its different from riding a unicycle . SAMSON AKA

I’ll give some some help

Just wondering. Could you use CT’s Keep Your Chin Up for one-arm chins?

An old thread, but I’ll bite.

CT’s program is designed to help people increase the number of chins they can do. For people whose ultimate goal is a one-arm chin-up (1ACU), but who can’t currently do many standard chins, it seems a decent place to start. However, I don’t think it offers much for those already proficient at standard chins (say, 15-20 reps) who want to get a one-armer.

The 1ACU is all about relative strength, so the first step is to develop a very strong weighted chin-up while beginning to learn the 1ACU technique by introducing negatives and isometric holds. Once you can complete a couple good chins with about 70% of your bodyweight attached, it’s time to focus on 1ACU variations to really groove your technique and get used to the whole-body tension that the movement requires. Start using partials, jumping 1ACUs, and 1ACUs with your off-hand on your bicep or shoulder to assist you.

It takes a long time and not everyone can do it, but it’s worth a shot if you ask me.

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:
There was a guy who used to work out at the gym where I work who was a professional rock climber and could do real 1 arm chins while holding a 45 lb plate in his free hand. He could also rifle off sets of 1 arms with either hand at the drop of a hat. Best chinner I’ve ever seen in person.

Anyway, he actually showed me a progression from the one handed chin that you are describing to a real one arm chin.

Basically the progression goes like this:

1. start with free hand on wrist (like you mentioned),

2. as strength increases move free hand further down forearm until eventually you can do chins with the free hand on your working arm’s bicep.

3. once that’s mastered move on to keeping your free hand on the working arm’s shoulder.

Once you’ve got that mastered, you should have the ability to do a real one arm chin.

Hope this helps.

Sentoguy[/quote]

This sounds like it could work. I might have to actually try this, de-amn son. Have you tried it? Does it work? Has anyone tried something like this?

It’s one of the methods I used to get mine.

[quote]qiezi wrote:
CT’s program is designed to help people increase the number of chins they can do. For people whose ultimate goal is a one-arm chin-up (1ACU), but who can’t currently do many standard chins, it seems a decent place to start. However, I don’t think it offers much for those already proficient at standard chins (say, 15-20 reps) who want to get a one-armer.

The 1ACU is all about relative strength, so the first step is to develop a very strong weighted chin-up while beginning to learn the 1ACU technique by introducing negatives and isometric holds. Once you can complete a couple good chins with about 70% of your bodyweight attached, it’s time to focus on 1ACU variations to really groove your technique and get used to the whole-body tension that the movement requires. Start using partials, jumping 1ACUs, and 1ACUs with your off-hand on your bicep or shoulder to assist you.[/quote]

What I meant by asking was if you could use OACs (One Arm Chins) instead of regular chins in doing CT’s program. My 1RM is 1.5xBW, after all. Maybe doing Level 1 could help me achieve the OAC.

But do you think I still need to reach 1.7xBW before trying OACs?

[quote]blazindave wrote:
This sounds like it could work. I might have to actually try this, de-amn son. Have you tried it? Does it work? Has anyone tried something like this?
[/quote]

WOW many threads are coming back to life.

Being a former marine in the time when kipping was being phased out as being a corect pull up. I got paid more money by how many pulls you can do. So with that said I trained this way to impove the pull up. so yes the plan described works very well.

[quote]undeadlift wrote:

But do you think I still need to reach 1.7xBW before trying OACs?[/quote]

Definitely not. Start performing 1ACU negatives and isometric holds as soon as you can. These will help you get a feel for the movement.

One of my favorite methods is to combine a standard negative with 3 isometric holds (at the three sticking points) at the top with your chin even with the bar, at about 90 degrees, and at the bottom just before your arm is completely straight.

The 1.7XBW is just to give you a sense of when you’re getting close and should start focusing on more difficult variations, like the ones I mentioned in my previous post – weighted negatives are another good one.

Good luck.

[quote]blazindave wrote:
Sentoguy wrote:
There was a guy who used to work out at the gym where I work who was a professional rock climber and could do real 1 arm chins while holding a 45 lb plate in his free hand. He could also rifle off sets of 1 arms with either hand at the drop of a hat. Best chinner I’ve ever seen in person.

Anyway, he actually showed me a progression from the one handed chin that you are describing to a real one arm chin.

Basically the progression goes like this:

1. start with free hand on wrist (like you mentioned),

2. as strength increases move free hand further down forearm until eventually you can do chins with the free hand on your working arm’s bicep.

3. once that’s mastered move on to keeping your free hand on the working arm’s shoulder.

Once you’ve got that mastered, you should have the ability to do a real one arm chin.

Hope this helps.

Sentoguy

[/quote]

Combining that with 1 arm negatives and weighted chins helped me to be able to do a few one arm chins per arm.
I actually reccomended this to you in a thread before. it’s great stuff.

The part that (imo) everyone finds so difficult with 1 arm chins as opposed to be able to hold your opposite wrist is to tense the rest of your body.

Pavel calls its “irradiation”. Basically when you tense the rest of your body that tension radiates to the limb/area that is doing the most work which causes a gain in strength. The Reason why 1 hand chinup with your other arm on your wrist is so much easier is because you can squeeze something that causes a build up of tension.

Also you’re in an anatomical position that you are more accustomed to.

There is a groove you have to learn (which imo is best learned with 1 arm negatives) that your neural system will adapt to but you CAN overcome this with greater strength if you achieve a sick weighted chin #, basically something over your own bodyweight. (so if you weigh 200, you would need to attach ~220).

But this is unnecessary… the key is:

• Gain “brute” strength with 1 arm chins
  • learn the groove with 1 arm negatives
  • learn to irradiate your power.