T Nation

Magazine Subscription...Credit Rating

I was incredibly stupid. very stupid.
Community Reading Club called me yesterday morning, and tried to sell me a magazine subrscription. all fine and dandy. they told me i would get a free gold watch, three free monthly magazines and one magazine that I woul have to pay for. all fine and dandy.

Time magazine for 3.44 a week sounded good. I agreed. so long story short, today I figure it up, and its going to cost 28 something a month for 30 months. I decided I didn’t want that. so, I called there customer service, and they said that I could pay off the balance with a discount, extend my service for free, or change the magazines I wanted.

so I told them thank you and never mind, and called my bank. I told my bank to not honor any bank drafts.

What kind of trouble can I get myself into doing this, credit problems, or legal problems, any advice please?

anyone have any ideas please?

I would really appreciate if someone could help me on this. i know it is not the typical discussion for T-Nation, but I could really use a hand if someone can answer my questions.

It really depends on where you are. Some places have a 3 day buyer’s remorse law, some do not. You may be stuck with it. If you have a buyer’s remorse law there, you might be able to get out of it.

Check out ripoffreport.com and search for it there.

-folly

Thanks for referring me to ripoffreport.com I went there, and the Community Reading Club is really being trashed by lots of people. I told my bank not to honor any bank drafts, if the CRC finds a way to take money out, I will close out the account. Other then a blemish on my credit, is there any kind of legal trouble i could get into.

Can’t tell you that one. It depends on where you are and what kind of contract it ends up being. If they had a “supervisor” come on and verify everything, etc, then it can be construed as the same as a written contract. They record that part of the conversation also.

That’s the best I can tell you. Good luck.

-folly

[quote]BarneyFife wrote:
I was incredibly stupid. very stupid.
Community Reading Club called me yesterday morning, and tried to sell me a magazine subrscription. all fine and dandy. they told me i would get a free gold watch, three free monthly magazines and one magazine that I woul have to pay for. all fine and dandy.

Time magazine for 3.44 a week sounded good. I agreed. so long story short, today I figure it up, and its going to cost 28 something a month for 30 months. I decided I didn’t want that. so, I called there customer service, and they said that I could pay off the balance with a discount, extend my service for free, or change the magazines I wanted.

so I told them thank you and never mind, and called my bank. I told my bank to not honor any bank drafts.

What kind of trouble can I get myself into doing this, credit problems, or legal problems, any advice please?[/quote]

I agreed to that years ago when I was in High School. They get you when they break it down on a daily or weekly cost. It doesn’t seem like much. I think the grand total was $770. That was allot. I just told them I was confused and I wasn’t going to pay for them. They gave me a big SIGH and said fine. These people are the reason I don’t have a home phone anymore…they’re the only one that call me.

Just tell them to piss off.