T Nation

MAG-10 or Surge Recovery and Protein?

If I don’t have the money to pulse with MAG-10 1-3x per day on top of post workout, is it still worth the $75 per tub? Or would I be better off buying Surge Recovery and saving some money for cheap protein to have during the day in between meals (I have 1-2 shakes per day on top of peri-workout)?

I’m just trying to maximize my purchases and if I can’t get everything from the MAG-10 Pulses, is it worth the money?

Surge Recovery is a great product, I used it for a few years. I’m not going to lie though, MAG-10 is freakin incredible. My husband has got me hooked on that stuff (orange is so good). I can’t even begin to tell you how much it has helped with recovery/DOMS.

If price is your deciding factor, get whatever. I doubt you could wrong with either. My preference - MAG-10 by a landslide.

Do you only use MAG-10 Post-Workout or do you pulse with it throughout the day too? I know its a good product, I’m just wondering whether I’ll be able to fully take advantage of it.

Currently, I use it only post-workout. My situation is different from yours though as I’m currently pregnant. haha Still, even using it only once per day now, I’ll tell you that I’m impressed with it. In another three months, I plan on pulsing with it and using post-workout and am just itching to see what that does.

As I have said before, you can’t really go wrong with those two choices. My personal preferences are based on me being pregnant and hypoglycemic so, different dynamics really. The MAG-10 just works really well for me right now. Surge was the first ever “real supplement” that I had used and I would still recommend it.

[quote]gasmit2 wrote:
Do you only use MAG-10 Post-Workout or do you pulse with it throughout the day too? I know its a good product, I’m just wondering whether I’ll be able to fully take advantage of it.[/quote]

I feel that MAG-10 is a solid product that you will reap benefits from, regardless of when you use it. Personally, I would get MAG-10 over Surge Recovery, even if using it strictly for post-workout.

[quote]i_am_ketosis wrote:

[quote]gasmit2 wrote:
Do you only use MAG-10 Post-Workout or do you pulse with it throughout the day too? I know its a good product, I’m just wondering whether I’ll be able to fully take advantage of it.[/quote]

I feel that MAG-10 is a solid product that you will reap benefits from, regardless of when you use it. Personally, I would get MAG-10 over Surge Recovery, even if using it strictly for post-workout. [/quote]

I agree, and i will add that MAG-10 is probably one of Biotest’s most versatile products. There are a lot of uses for it, if you are looking to use it strictly for pulsing purposes, there are some optimal times to do so. I will note that 1-2 pulses a day can have a great impact on the body.

Some of the optimal times to pulse are upon waking, post-training, prior to bed, or between meals. So you can see you have a lot of options and like i said 1-2 a day can work wonders even with little change in the rest of your diet, given you aren’t eating nothing but fast food.

Although, i will say if you’re looking for something for training, then Anaconda is pretty hard to beat and would be the best place to start as covering the training period is pretty vital. Just something to think about.

IDK if you’re specifically looking for something post work out but I LOVED 2 scoops SWF pre workout. To save money I would probably go with 2 scoops SWF and a scoop or two of whey.

Surge Workout Fuel is so 2011…
Haha JK, I loved SWF.

But MAG-10 and Anaconda, they’re marvels of modern technology.
Worth every penny.

I do believe that Mag-10 is totally worth the money, and I’ve relied on it for the past several years with very good results.

I will also say that in my opinion, the time surrounding your workout is probably the most important time of the day to maximize nutrient delivery in terms of performance and recovery. Depending on where you are in your training (beginner, intermediate, serious competitor…), you have to assess what would serve you best.

Most people can make progress by having a ‘decent’ (not even 100% clean and good) diet the rest of the day so long as they address their peri-nutrition. SWF has served me very well, and if I were not at the level I’m currently at (competing as a WNBF Pro), and I had to make a choice between the two for financial reasons, I’d go with that, while doing my best to keep the rest of my daily intake acceptable.

Over the years, as I made more progress and improved as a competitor, I was able to rationalize adding in more supps, and Biotest hasn’t let me down in the over 10 years since I first tried their protein powder (the old ‘Grow’ powder), and that they are the only company that I’ve used their product for any extended periods at all. I say this because people frequently ask me about how many supplements I routinely use, and I certainly wouldn’t suggest every trainer to throw down as many as they can afford. Instead, add them in intelligently, and systematically so that you can truly understand how they’re contributing to your progress.

As the gains come, you’ll have a much better understanding of what each product brings to the table, and it won’t be a question of whether you can afford the product, but whether you can afford not to.

Maybe one day you too will have what has become known as my ‘Biotest Cabinet’ in the kitchen :slight_smile:
(I believe Lonnie123 coined the term! -lol)

S