T Nation

Mag 10 dieting

As hard as it is to use this stuff for dieting I feel I must. I would love to be 230lbs strong as an ox, but its summer and I live in cali beach+abs=women (the equation of life).I am currently 215 lbs 15-16%BF. I read on a post from bill to use 8 calories per lb of LBM with only 1 g of protein per lb of LBM and the rest from carbs and fats with at least 6 grams of epa/dha. Just to clarify I’m doing this right thats 200g of protein, 70 g Carbs 50 g From surge postworkout,and the rest from veggies and 40 g of fat total with at least 6 g epa dha. Will this method drop fat faster than steroid dieting eating more protein. How much mag 10 should I use for preservation of Lean mass. Every two weeks would it behove me to have a high carb day like 400g to bump up my thyroid levels?

i emailed TC with the same question as well as some others about Mag10 and dieting. he told me an article was “in the works” and should be out in this weeks issue. hopefully it will cover why Bill gives his recommendations that you mentioned above and why Brock gives his recomedations in steroid dieting, as well as some info on dosage. i’m sure either way the fat loss will be great though and with the mag10 muscle loss should be minimal. good luck. keep us posted on how it goes. - Nic

scratch that last post. I just got another email from TC saying that he messed up and this week there will be a myostatin roundtable, not a mag10 one. hopefully they will make a mag10 one though in the future. if i were you, i would go ahead and take normal dosage of mag10 and follow Bill’s advice. instead of having a high carb day, why don’t you just do a 2 week cycle of mag10 and then switch over to something like berardi’s “don’t diet” massive eating plan for a few weeks and then try the mag10 again with the low cal diet. the 8cal/lb thing is a very extreme diet and i think it was only meant for a short time, like 2 weeks. i believe brocks steroid diet is a less aggresive diet meant for longer than 2 week cycles. i am not sure about this though so i could be wrong. since there isn’t going to be an article anytime soon, i would really like to hear from Bill a little more in detail about this to clear some things up.

Could somebody Chris, Bill or Cy, give some advice on dieting with mag 10.

What is it that you want to know?

when dieting with mag10 would you leave the dosage the same or could you take maybe half a dose a day? how long of a cycle would you do with the mag10 while dieting. would a 2 week be good or would you reccomend something longer? what type of training program should you have? high intensity in lower rep range to preserve muscle or could you do a typical fat loss program (meltdown, fat to fire, etc.)without losing too much muscle? how would you change your “Steroid Dieting” for the use of Mag10 as opposed to the real stuff? would you add maybe T2 or MD6 or is Mag10 really just as good for fat loss? i know this is a matter of varying opinion, but Bill Roberts recommended only a gram of protein per pound whereas in steroid dieting you reccomend at least 1.5 g/pound. this makes a difference of about 400 calories from just protein. since you would be on such a low cal diet would you be better off getting those 400 other calories from carbs or fat? Thanks a lot. - Nic

when dieting with mag10 would you leave the dosage the same or could you take maybe half a dose a day?

Keep the dosage the same.

No, two weeks is too short of a time period. Would you only diet for two weeks at a time? Of course not, so go at least 4-6 weeks.

how long of a cycle would you do with the mag10 while dieting. would a 2 week be good or would you reccomend something longer?

what type of training program should you have? high intensity in lower rep range to preserve muscle or could you do a typical fat loss program (meltdown, fat to fire, etc.)without losing too much muscle?

Keep training at the norm for the most part. Meltdown is fine as are other programs of that nature. I personally keep things exactly the same with the only exception being a slight decrease in volume.

how would you change your “Steroid Dieting” for the use of Mag10 as opposed to the real stuff? would you add maybe T2 or MD6 or is Mag10 really just as good for fat loss?

I wouldn’t change anything. Including MD-6 and T2 is fine and I’d recommend MD-6 as a must have when dieting.

i know this is a matter of varying opinion, but Bill Roberts recommended only a gram of protein per pound whereas in steroid dieting you reccomend at least 1.5 g/pound. this makes a difference of about 400 calories from just protein. since you would be on such a low cal diet would you be better off getting those 400 other calories from carbs or fat? Thanks a lot. - Nic

I prefer to keep protein intake higher and carb and fat levels down. Why? Every study I’ve seen showed a great tendency for those consuming a higher protein intake to lose ever more fat. Besides, it makes sense as protein requires the most energy to assimilate, whereas carbs and fat don’t require as much. The only reason why I include any carbs at all during dieting is simply because of the fact that most guys can’t handle the “flat” feeling they get from depleted glycogen stores. Essentially, I like to see a higher protein intake with a low fat intake (all from EPA and DHA) and essentially zero carbs.

Thanks Cy, i appreciate the response. That answered pretty much all the questions i had. i will definately give it a try. - Nic

Cy you said essentially zero carbs would be beneficial, does that include veggies, so on none workout days if I can handle it ditch all carbs? and What about just using AP for postworkout?