T Nation

Mag-10 Before Bed: Does it Cause Rebound Catabolism?

The conventional wisdom about whey protein 6-8 years ago was that you shouldn’t have whey before bedtime because while it was anabolic in the first 2 hours, the speed of uptake caused a rebound release of glutamine from muscle cells after 2 hours as blood amino acid levels became low. That’s where casein came in as it could be used to top off blood AAs before bed but was slow enough that it did not cause a blood AA dip leading to glutamine spillage.

So my question is, since the protein in Mag-10 is really fast to be absorbed, does it also result in a rebound spillage of glutamine 2-3 hours later? If so, wouldn’t you want to always END a series of Mag-10 pulses with either a whole food meal with protein, or with a slower acting protein to top off AAs and prevent the rebound spillage?

Basically, I do not know if Mag-10 proteins produce the same rebound glutamine release that whey protein does (which was the rationale behind miscellar casein in the first place, or cottage cheese before bed), but has the question been answered whether the fast action of Mag-10 proteins does or does not produce a similar glutamine release as what was seen in research with whey?

even if it does, is the effect going to be anything specific? I mean jesus christ do you not think that maybe you’re being ever so slightly ridiculous worrying about something like this?

The effect would be (if similar to whey) that if you are going to be going several hours in a fasted state such as during sleep, you should not have a fast acting protein before the fasting period because you will have a rebound loss of protein from muscle cells. It was the idea behind the concept of miscellar casein in the first place because its slow absorption rate prevented rebound protein loss at night, or during a stretch of not eating.

Basically what I’m questioning is this: if you are going to go a stretch (4-8 hours) without eating, should you have a slow protein source LAST before the stretch rather than a fast acting pulse? You could still take a pulse, but have something slower 30 minutes later and you could still have a pulse if you wake up at night 3-4 hours before breakfast, but maybe you don’t want to pulse at 10:00 pm and then sleep for 8 hours if your goal is to build maximum muscle because you will basically have low AA levels for several hours during the nights.

I did not require any clarification on the question; I understood perfectly.

I still think it’s a ridiculously minor detail to worry about.