T Nation

Madcows for a 150lb Guy?

I've been on it for about 15 weeks and i hate it by this point.

I started lifting at around 120lbs and did a basic 5x5 till i couldn't recover very well which was 170lb bodyweight and 275 squat, 170lb bench and 265 deadlift for 5x5.

cut down to 147lbs and started doing madcows.
15 weeks later im only 158(diet hasnt been great) at about 15 or 16% bodyfat and i HAVE increased my lifts but not that much and i have been pretty much stalled at the squat for 5 weeks at 275 for the monday set of 5. I did a deload 3 weeks ago(week off) and it didnt help.

Keep having bad workouts where i cant do a weight i managed only days before too!

I was wondering if it was something to do with my bodyweight, i am quite light still.

I am at a loss! please advise...

it works best about 12 weeks at a time. I wouldnt stress it and just move on to 5/3/1, ws4sb etc

Madcow has a number of strategies when you fail to hit the reps on Monday or Friday. Attempting the same weight is one option but not one to run for 5 weeks, how else did you try to overcome the stall?

Aside from that, if you really dislike Madcow, do something else.

I’m really liking Izzy’s PowerliftingToWin but it isn’t exactly simple.

The best way I found to get through spots like this was to take a few steps back and start the progression again. So if you’re stuck at 275, back off to 250 and add 5lbs/wk. If you’re lifting the weight explosively, the weight on the bar only alters your bar speed. You’re still applying the same force, but a heavier weight moves slower and a lighter weight moves faster.

So in essence, the weight doesn’t matter all that much. It’s the force you put into it that makes you stronger.

[quote]RampantBadger wrote:
it works best about 12 weeks at a time. I wouldnt stress it and just move on to 5/3/1, ws4sb etc[/quote]

This. Some assistance work will do you good.

BTW OP, you said you’re on it for 15 weeks…

Did you reset after week 12? You should go back 4 weeks after every 12.

But if you hate it, it’s probably never going to work for you.

[quote]tsantos wrote:
BTW OP, you said you’re on it for 15 weeks…

Did you reset after week 12? You should go back 4 weeks after every 12.

But if you hate it, it’s probably never going to work for you.[/quote]

It has been strange. I started squatting with madcows format before i did on everything else. so i have been doing it for 15 weeks on the squat, but less on the rest(around 8-10 for those)

I didn’t reset yet though. I decided to do that though, which i have done. will drop the weight by 10kg and start again. I’m hoping i can squeze a lot more out of another cycle because even though i said i hate it, it was probably due to me being stuck rather than the program itself. i quite like the format. though i do think i could benefit from a little more volume on the shoulders and the squats. do you think i could add a bit more volume on intensity day if i swap things around?.

Texas Method will probably be next up after this if it starts getting to be more complex than its worth.

[quote]Superh1 wrote:

[quote]tsantos wrote:

[/quote]

volume on the shoulders and the squats. do you think i could add a bit more volume on intensity day if i swap things around?.
[/quote]

No. definitly do not add more work on the squats, do them as written.

2-3 sets of side laterals, rear delts etc now and again should not matter too much.
If youre going to do another run get the spreadsheet and start from the beginning, vere on the side of starting way too light -this is how people on this site have got the best results.