T Nation

Mad Goat's StrongLifts 5x5/Cut Log

Hello!

Like most others in this section of T-Nation, I wanted to post my training log for self accountability. I’ve started and stopped routines numerous times in the past and it’s mostly revolved around my weight/body fat limits for my job. We get weighed or taped every six months and that date is fast approaching. So my current training has two fold purpose:

1. Cut enough fat in the next two weeks to tape in.
  2. Get hooked on a reliable weight lifting/cardio routine that I will continue beyond the two week mark.

Since I haven’t spent much time total lifting, I’ve decided on the Stronglifts 5x5 routine as well as a snot load of cardio, interval training, etc. Over the past week and a half I’ve been working out like crazy and joined my local gym. Today was my first organized 5x5 workout though. From what I’ve read, they’re supposed to look like this:

A day

Squats - 5x5
Bench Press - 5x5
Barbell Rows - 5x5
Dips - 3x5

B day

Squats - 5x5
Military Press - 5x5
Deadlift - 1x5
Pullups - 3x5

So the basic gyst is that I’m going to work like a hog the next two weeks to make tape. That will probably mean cutting water weight in the last day or two. I know it’s not good but it’s my job that’s at stake so I gotta do what I gotta do. Feel free to comment away if you like though. I want this to really be the last time I have to do this to make weight/tape.

Lastly, I’m 5’8" and 216 lbs by the gym scale as of this morning. After I finish cutting for the weigh in I’ll post a fitday log. Until then, I’m eating light with lots of protein, very little carbs. Probably about 1500 cals a day.

I’m pretty sore from an attempted Tabata yesterday with front squats. Man that hurt! Today’s my first day on 5x5.

Squat - 135 lbs 5x5
Bench - 115 lbs 5x5
Rows - 95 lbs 5x5
Dips (assisted) - -70 lbs 5x5

bw - 216

I’m obviously still dialing in the weights. The squats felt pretty light as did the bench. Rows felt very heavy but I finished them. Dips felt pretty good.

I finished the workout with 45 minutes on the eliptical machine. I always think the weirdest thoughts on that dang machine; most of them about food! :slight_smile:

That’s it for today; hoping for a good night’s sleep.

MG

Stronglifts is a great program - if you stick with it.

What is your job that you have to cut weight? I am confused with your goals - you need to lose weight but are doing a strength oriented routine. Stronglifts is designed to add strength with mass/size as a bonus, typically with a caloric surplus. If you really want to lose weight, another training routine might better suit you.

Ok, let me explain the whole weigh in, tape in thing. I’m active duty in the US Coast Guard. We have semi-annual weigh ins and if you don’t make weight, you get taped for BF. As long as you don’t fail both, you’re good to go.

As to why I picked StrongLifts, frankly like everyone else I want to get stronger and leaner. Weight isn’t the big issue, body composition is. As long as I pass the tape test, I don’t really care too much what my weight is. I know lifting heavy has done great stuff for my body composition in the past and I’m hoping for a repeat performance with some heavy cardio to assist.

bw - 214

Down two pounds this morning; No StrongLifts today. I got in the gym for a short workout this morning which consisted of a tabata with the row machine as well as some neck and grip training. I decided to not do tabatas with front squats anymore since I’m squatting just about every other day. The row machine was BRUTAL!

I have a 45-60 minute steady state cardio session planned for this evening.

MG

I didn’t get in the cardio last evening. Went for a nice long walk with the wife instead. Hopefully today will be a good lifting day.

bw - 213

Down another pound today as of this morning. Today was my first B day on Stronglifts.

Squats - 155 lbs - 5x5
Military - 65 lbs - 5x5
Deadlifts - 155 lbs - 1x5
Chinups (assisted) - -90 lbs - 3x5

Also got in 45 minutes on the elliptical machine this evening. Still feeling good; I have a lot more energy today.

MG

are you keeping the weights low for a reason? just crious.

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:
are you keeping the weights low for a reason? just crious.[/quote]

It’s cause I’m weak! :slight_smile:

It’s been a while since I’ve used free weights, I’ve mainly been using machines on and off for the last couple of years. I’m just not used to stabilizing much weight. I’m trying to figure out what’s heavy and what’s not for me. Today, military press was only a little light, squat was right on and I probably could have lifted another 30lbs on deadlift. 90lbs assisted on the chinups was brutal, I could barely finish the last set of five. So in short, I’m weak and I don’t know exactly what I can lift yet. I figure the weights will sort themselves out in the coming weeks.

Damn zep. Don’t you remember when you started? :slight_smile:

Just found my third workout log (I think).

Bench: 105x8, 115x8, 125x8, 130x8
Seated shoulder press: 75x3x8, 65x8
Squat: 105x3x8

I remember being happy when my squat surpassed my bench. :slight_smile:

Keep at it, madgoat.

[quote]goochadamg wrote:
Damn zep. Don’t you remember when you started? :slight_smile:

Just found my third workout log (I think).

Bench: 105x8, 115x8, 125x8, 130x8
Seated shoulder press: 75x3x8, 65x8
Squat: 105x3x8

I remember being happy when my squat surpassed my bench. :slight_smile:

Keep at it, madgoat.

[/quote]

I think he underestimates his deading/squatting ability :slight_smile:

I’m not saying he is, but everytime i’ve lifted with someone who sin’t more then a few weeks int the hobby, why have a pretty hard time breaking the comfort zone and end up realizing they are stronger then they thought they are.

bw - 213

So it looks like I maintained body weight over the weekend. I did eat more than I had planned but I have to refeed every once in a blue moon so I feel ok about it.

Someone spent close to an hour using the squat rack before me at my work gym so I did my 40 minutes on the elypical before lifting. I took your advice zep and increased the weights by a fair amount all around (except barbell rows which I had problems with last time). I finished all my sets but I definitely think I came close to failure on a few. Here’s what I did:

Squats - 185lbs - 5x5
Bench - 135lbs - 5x5
Rows - 100lbs - 5x5
Dips (assisted) - -58lbs - 3x5

I lost my form on my fourth set doing the barbell rows but recovered and did the fifth set correctly. Felt a little bit of a lower back twinge when finishing each squat rep. Maybe I’m not keeping my back as straight as I think?

Anyway, that’s it for today unless my wife wants to drag me to the gym later for some more cardio. We’ll see… :slight_smile:

MG

Good job. Remember not t sacrifice depth on the squat for weight. keep us updated.

I haven’t posted in a bit but I did lift on Wednesday. Here’s how it went:

Squats - 195lbs - 5x5
Military - 75lbs - 5x5
Deads - 195lbs - 5x5
Chinups (assisted) - -78lbs - 5, 3, 3

I couldn’t finish the last two sets of chinups. From what I remember, the workout was pretty brutal and I wasn’t feeling very motivated. That said, that was my last lifting day until next friday because it’s time to cut some weight for my weigh/tape in! On Wednesday I weighed 213 again, this morning I’m down to 208. Anyone else have to cut weight for any reason? I used to wrestle in HS so this is very familiar territory for me.

MG

[quote]TheDudeAbides wrote:
Stronglifts is a great program - if you stick with it.

What is your job that you have to cut weight? I am confused with your goals - you need to lose weight but are doing a strength oriented routine. Stronglifts is designed to add strength with mass/size as a bonus, typically with a caloric surplus. If you really want to lose weight, another training routine might better suit you.[/quote]

Really? I keep reading on that website that the routine is suitable for both goals.

Didn’t you at some point attempt Rippetoes (successfully) while trying to cut fat?

I wrestled Mainly tho starvation diets / water pills.

Not the way you want to do this.

I’d just suggest HIIT workouts, and NO CARBS / Fruits / Sodas

Just water shit load of vegies, and lean cuts of meat

[quote]calibreeze wrote:
I wrestled Mainly tho starvation diets / water pills.

Not the way you want to do this.

I’d just suggest HIIT workouts, and NO CARBS / Fruits / Sodas

Just water shit load of vegies, and lean cuts of meat[/quote]

Dude, I get ya but like I said, I got to weigh in for work on Wednesday so… I’ll do what I got to do this time around. Next time will be different. :slight_smile:

Weighed in today. Official weight for the Coast Guard was 186 though the scale was massively off. Realistically, I weighed 193 when I woke up this morning. Time to rehydrate and get back to it.

You went from 216 to 193 in just a couple of weeks doing this?