T Nation

Macros in Frozen Veggies

Just planning some new meals… currently looking towards making a low carb egg friend rice type meal.

Anyways - the problem is that Im looking at the macro’s on the back of the frozen cauliflower and its very different to the macro’s listed for fresh veg. Gram for gram the macro’s are all lower… everythings down by almost a gram.

Am I right in assuming this is due to extra water picked up in the freezing process?

its cauliflower. Please do not worry about the calories in cauliflower!!

[quote]k8thegr8 wrote:
its cauliflower. Please do not worry about the calories in cauliflower!![/quote]

Im very strict with my macros - particulary carbohydrates. When consuming vegetables in large servings I would like to know what is going in and out of my body!

Can anyone answer my question?

[quote]benmoore wrote:
k8thegr8 wrote:

Im very strict with my macros - particulary carbohydrates. When consuming vegetables in large servings I would like to know what is going in and out of my body!

Can anyone answer my question?[/quote]

The carbs in vegetables like cauliflower are neglibile, especially if you train hard. Read the package, believe what it says, and eat it.

[quote]Vicomte wrote:
benmoore wrote:
k8thegr8 wrote:

Can anyone answer my question?

The carbs in vegetables like cauliflower are neglibile, especially if you train hard. Read the package, believe what it says, and eat it. [/quote]

Agreed. And considering your stats it’s not going to make a difference.

If you’re competing in a show that’s coming up, then maybe, and even then a stretch closely monitoring over a few grams is borderline OCD

[quote]benmoore wrote:
k8thegr8 wrote:

[/quote]
And out of your body?! You measure you macros coming out of your morning constitutional?

I hate the internet sometimes haha.

My goals/stats/excretement/etc. aside… why would the frozen veggies register differently?

I understand your concern about wanting to know what goes in your body, but when it comes to counting calories in fibrous vegetables, you are wasting your time and efforts and it sounds like your concern is so much that you are probably increasing your cortisol levels as well. So perhaps not counting the calorie in fibrous vegetables will positively influence your physique. :slight_smile:

Seriously, you are overthinking things here. Eat your fibrous vegetables till content. No need to measure.

[quote]benmoore wrote:

My goals/stats/excretement/etc. aside… why would the frozen veggies register differently?[/quote]

They’re cold, so they possess less heat energy(calories) than fresh, room temperature vegetables.

Does that work for you? If not I can make something else up.

[quote]Vicomte wrote:
benmoore wrote:

My goals/stats/excretement/etc. aside… why would the frozen veggies register differently?

They’re cold, so they possess less heat energy(calories) than fresh, room temperature vegetables.

Does that work for you? If not I can make something else up.[/quote]

lol

Vicomte are you sure??

I thought it was calories in veggies + calories in ice = total calories?

But then don’t you subtract the carbs in the ice from the carbs in the cauliflower?

Whatever, I heard eating through your asshole and shitting out of your mouth is way healthier anyway.

[quote]jp_dubya wrote:
not to hijack, but I am on a program that says I should do reps in a 4-0-2 tempo, and today, on one set, I think I did a few reps in like 3.25-0- 2.25.
It is a 6 week program and I am in week three. Should I scrap everything and start over or… please help. I also found dust on my scale and my macro nutrient was supposed to be 40-30-30 and this calculation pushed me to 42-28-30. I used a second scale to calibrate it. I am 12.425175 % bodyfat
Suicide prevention put me on hold…
What do I do?[/quote]

this quote is from another thread, but fits nicely right here.

Maybe when theyre frozen theyre denser, so for the same weight they have more calories? >_> shouldnt matter anyways.