T Nation

Macros for Muscle Gain

Hey guys. Today I decided to stop being lazy and track my food and macronutrient intake. Surprisingly, I feel pretty good about the little spreadsheet I made to do it -- I think I could keep it up day to day without too much trouble. But then I thought, well, what exactly should I be aiming for?

I've read massive eating and some of the other recommendations on this site -- the carb cycling philosophy seems to be pretty popular and effective. Just wondering, what kind of macronutrient ratios you guys prefer or have found most successful when pursuing the good old muscle-gain-without-excessive-fat-gain goal? Or does it make a difference?

Ooh, and what about nutrient timing, how important do you think it is to drink a WO shake, space out protein, separate fat and carbs, etc etc?

You gotta give us some stats. Age, height, weight, activity level… We don’t know if you easily put on fat or have difficulty putting on muscle or how active you are.

read this: www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/the-baseline-diet-part-1.html

and this: www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/the-baseline-diet-part-2.html

after you’ve read those two articles, then you can ask any questions you may have.

I’m so glad everyone is:

understanding their own bodies

taking advantage of the thousands of articles floating around on the topic

asking others to do free work for them …

… and thinking of using sophisticated nutrition strategies without even using basic ones first!

Basically you want fats to make up 20-30% daily intake, get 1-1.5 g/lb in protein, and make of the rest of your macros carbs.

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:
I’m so glad everyone is:

… and thinking of using sophisticated nutrition strategies without even using basic ones first!

[/quote]

lol Brick you seem so jaded about everything, your posts crack me up.

[quote]waylanderxx wrote:
Bricknyce wrote:
I’m so glad everyone is:

lol Brick you seem so jaded about everything, your posts crack me up.[/quote]

I’m sure removing people’s faces from their heads and sewing them together to make a “fitted” mask is frustrating work.

It’s very frustrating!

Imagine all the work I I do just evading the law, 24 hours per day, seven days per week, just to eat! Waylander, you’d be stressed out too. It’s easy for you: all you do is lift, eat, sleep, stand at a club door, and screw women. Think of my day spent with my maniac uncle looking for lost, traveling teenagers and kidnapping and roasting them!

It’s not all about making clothing, Elusive. I’m glad all you guys like my style though.

A lot of people have said that human meat tastes like pork. Us in the Hewitt house disagree; it has its own unique taste. As you can see in the dinner scene in the Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning, we really enjoy what we do and being a family of insane, inbred, cannibals!

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:
It’s very frustrating!

Imagine all the work I I do just evading the law, 24 hours per day, seven days per week, just to eat! Waylander, you’d be stressed out too. It’s easy for you: all you do is lift, eat, sleep, stand at a club door, and screw women. Think of my day spent with my maniac uncle looking for lost, traveling teenagers and kidnapping and roasting them!

It’s not all about making clothing, Elusive. I’m glad all you guys like my style though.

A lot of people have said that human meat tastes like pork. Us in the Hewitt house disagree; it has its own unique taste. As you can see in the dinner scene in the Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning, we really enjoy what we do and being a family of insane, inbred, cannibals! [/quote]

So whenever you do the Rapid Fat Loss protocol, I assume you’ll only go for the lean ones?

Correct, Taufiq.

Why do you think I’m always going to the NY Pro every summer?

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:
Correct, Taufiq.

Why do you think I’m always going to the NY Pro every summer?

[/quote]

Just warn me not to go to NY whenever you’re doing the AD or some kind of high fat keto diet.

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:
It’s very frustrating!

A lot of people have said that human meat tastes like pork. Us in the Hewitt house disagree; it has its own unique taste. As you can see in the dinner scene in the Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning, we really enjoy what we do and being a family of insane, inbred, cannibals! [/quote]

LOL

[quote]waylanderxx wrote:
Bricknyce wrote:
It’s very frustrating!

A lot of people have said that human meat tastes like pork. Us in the Hewitt house disagree; it has its own unique taste. As you can see in the dinner scene in the Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning, we really enjoy what we do and being a family of insane, inbred, cannibals!

LOL[/quote]

Hes losing it.

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:
I’m so glad everyone is:

[/quote]

omg lol… please don’t eat me…

Thanks all for the helpful responses. I guess I just need to try stuff out and see what works best for me personally. Lacking experience, I think I’ll just start out as Hexx and the experts suggest and see how it goes.

Meat is getting expensive lately, if you have any body parts left over Brick, Fed-Ex overnight please.

No doubt, Davinci.

Samurai, I’m just half-joking on this board nearly all the time. It’s very hard for people to tell someone else what’s good for them. I mean, how are they supposed to answer?

If I tell people who don’t know anything about me, “I do a full-body routine; I do dips for my chest in the routine. Is this good for building chest mass?”, how are they supposed to respond? Dips are a great mass builder. But what if they are not the best for my body type?

I can follow a low-carb diet and ask people who know nothing about me and my situation, “is a low-carb diet good for me?” How do they know? A low-carb diet is good for some people in some situations. How are they supposed to know if it’s good in my case?

And this is also aside from the fact that it takes WORK to calculate diets for people and help them along the way with ongoing monitoring and nutrition education. I know some RDs that charge 100 to 300 bucks for initial nutrition counseling sessions and 75 to 150 for follow-ups. God knows what some bodybuilding nutritionists like Chad Nicholls charge.