T Nation

Macro Split Advice


#1

Just wanted to get some second opinions and start some dialogue if anyone in the forum has the time or interest.

I weigh roughly 240lbs give or take, bodyfat percentage roughly 15%, and I would say I am an active person.

I strength train 4-5x per week depending on how my time falls.
last tested maxes are as follows(these havent been tested in many months)
Squat- 365
Bench- 265
Dead-495
Clean-230

I recently started running again 3x per week. 1 hill sprint day, 1 short distance speed day (2-3km for time), and an average distance day 5-8km.

I'm really feeling the weight as this is the heaviest i have ever been(while still moderately fit). I want to get faster on my 5km (current time 27ish minutes on any given day), and but obviously i dont want to shrink.

I havent been tracking my macros too closely other than protein which i try to get at least 300G a day every day. other than that I eat fat some days and some days carbs depending on what im craving. Calories usually around 3500-4000 per day(my fitness pal)

If i was your friend or client- what would your advice be for nutrition for me to maintain as much strength-endurance while losing body fat.


#2

One factor would be in how much of a hurry you are to lose fat. One choice is to take say 20 weeks to drop 20 lb of fat. There’s a lot to be said for that one, but you might be in more of a hurry either for wanting to be lean sooner, or to get back to rapid muscle gain faster.

If that slow rate is fine, then try dropping 500 cal/day and see how that goes, adjusting if necessary.

If faster is better, then cut more but at your size not below about 2600 cal.

You could keep protein the same or let it drop a bit to 300.

Keep fats to about 90 grams if on 2600 calories, or on the slower fat loss plan might be higher such as 140 grams, no need for exact ratios.

Carbs about 150 on the lower calorie plan, or say 200 for the slower loss if the fat grams allow it.

Example at 2600 cal: 300/150/90 protein/carbs/fat
Example at say 3200 cal: 300/200/133

Exact balances and ratios really don’t matter, so long as they’re generally sound and the total is suitable.


#3

Thanks for the reply!

I’ll try that exactly as you suggested. Would a refeed day be needed with my calories that low? Should I even be thinking of a cheat ha ha?


#4

At the level where you’re aiming to lose only about 1 lb a week of fat, dropping calories by only 500 per day or so, a refeed day isn’t necessary. If there’s a higher calorie day anyway, as absolutely would be permissible, to maintain the average I’d balance it with a day that drops lower.

But if you’re dropping to about 2600 cal, then a modest refeed day can be a good thing.

Cheat meal rather than cheat day! :slight_smile:


#5

[quote]Jbott1988 wrote:
Thanks for the reply!

I’ll try that exactly as you suggested. Would a refeed day be needed with my calories that low? Should I even be thinking of a cheat ha ha?

[/quote]

Have you read some of the thousands of articles on THIS site or on the internet regarding your concerns, and then applying the information?


#6

What has worked for me when cutting, if I stick to it, is similar to Bill’s slower loss plan.

On lifting days 4x/week, I eat at maintenance calories and then do 30-45 minutes of conditioning work after lifting - 200P/200C/90F

On non-lifting days 3x/week, I eat at 300-500 calories below maintenance and do LISS cardio or take a break from exercise - 200P/100C/80-100F. If you want a little faster fat loss, stick with the strict 500 deficit. If you want a slower recomp or get hunger pangs, throw in an extra 200 calorie snack and maintain a 200-300 calorie deficit for one or two of those three days.

I was formerly obese. I gain body fat rather rapidly and I’ve found my maintenance to be a little lower than the threshold for others. I tend to be somewhat carb sensitive; your mileage may vary. Ultimately you’ll need to find that magic spot for your own body and do what works. I had to come up with the above plan through strict trial and error.


#7

[quote]BrickHead wrote:

[quote]Jbott1988 wrote:
Thanks for the reply!

I’ll try that exactly as you suggested. Would a refeed day be needed with my calories that low? Should I even be thinking of a cheat ha ha?

[/quote]

Have you read some of the thousands of articles on THIS site or on the internet regarding your concerns, and then applying the information?[/quote]

but how???


#8

[quote]Jbott1988 wrote:

but how???[/quote]

You need to a) know what your maintenance is and b) start logging everything and meticulously tracking your intake. I’d argue that it’s a good idea to get 80-90% of your weekly caloric intake from minimally processed, whole foods. I’m not as big of a fan of IIFYM for strict fat loss, but that’s based on me from my own personal experience with my body. Again, your mileage may vary.

When you have done the above, make sure you’re in a calorie deficit. The amount of that deficit over a weekly basis can vary depending on how much fat you wish to drop from week to week. Most people would recommend a reasonable deficit of 200-500 calories per day, or averaged out over a week’s time = 1400-3500 calories/per week, which gives you flexibility on a day to day basis as long as your weekly and eventually monthly intakes are on general par here. You may find that you have to readjust your maintenance calories or calorie cycle as you shed body fat too.


#9

[quote]JR249 wrote:

[quote]Jbott1988 wrote:

but how???[/quote]

You need to a) know what your maintenance is and b) start logging everything and meticulously tracking your intake. I’d argue that it’s a good idea to get 80-90% of your weekly caloric intake from minimally processed, whole foods. I’m not as big of a fan of IIFYM for strict fat loss, but that’s based on me from my own personal experience with my body. Again, your mileage may vary.

When you have done the above, make sure you’re in a calorie deficit. The amount of that deficit over a weekly basis can vary depending on how much fat you wish to drop from week to week. Most people would recommend a reasonable deficit of 200-500 calories per day, or averaged out over a week’s time = 1400-3500 calories/per week, which gives you flexibility on a day to day basis as long as your weekly and eventually monthly intakes are on general par here. You may find that you have to readjust your maintenance calories or calorie cycle as you shed body fat too.
[/quote]

I appreciate the post- I was being facetious though.

The guy was basically calling me lazy which I cant argue with too much- other than in the opening of my original post I said directed my efforts towards those with time or interest.


#10

There are competing schools of thought for those with muscle engaging in endurance type activities. Alex Viada recommends higher carb, those crossfit indoctrinated tend to sway paleoesque…

The purpose of this thread was to get advice on what sort of ratio some of the persons more knowledgeable than myself would recommend!

If I wanted my advice, id take it. Hence the feedback from guys like Bill Roberts


#11

[quote]Jbott1988 wrote:

I weigh roughly 240lbs give or take, bodyfat percentage roughly 15%, and I would say I am an active person.

[/quote]

How tall are you? 240 at 6’ or below with 15% bf would be VERY BIG, and your lifts would likely be higher just from sheer amount of muscle mass.