Mackerel

So, I have access to all this mackerel here in Thailand for dirt cheap. I believe they are Saba mackerel, I’m not talking about the short-bodied ones. It has become my mainstay source of protein. Whey here is UNGODLY expensive, and I prefer to eat dead animals anyway.

Cheap, easy and lots of good stuff. Highest omega-3 count of all fish to boot. Lower in mercury than tuna. Not endangered like salmon and some tuna.

Chime in if you care to, have recipes, news articles, whatever.

I love mackerel. Used to eat it tinned at uni.

If you can get it smoked, it’s delicious with a fried egg on top and a side of broccoli and spuds. That might be one of my favourite meals.

Mackerel’s the shit. If you can get it fresh, grill it. Heaven.

Tastes fantastic with piri piri sauce, too.

Always my favourite type of sashimi. Best flavour, a little oily. That’s always my favourite way to eat it. However, I’ve never prepared it that way for myself so I don’t know how difficult it would be to do so or any of the handling requirements to prevent food poisoning.

Amazingly I never heard of people eating it until Palumbo detailed his time spent behind bars, and how Mackeral was the protein currency for guys trying to preserve/pack on muscle mass.

S

[quote]mutantcolors wrote:
So, I have access to all this mackerel here in Thailand for dirt cheap. I believe they are Saba mackerel, I’m not talking about the short-bodied ones. It has become my mainstay source of protein. Whey here is UNGODLY expensive, and I prefer to eat dead animals anyway.

Cheap, easy and lots of good stuff. Highest omega-3 count of all fish to boot. Lower in mercury than tuna. Not endangered like salmon and some tuna.

Chime in if you care to, have recipes, news articles, whatever.[/quote]

Not sure if eating fish is newsworthy. However, mackerel does have a good amount of omega-3 as you say. I like them and sardines.

Well by news articles I mean like, health magazines or what have you. Sorry that needed clarification. Fish do make it in the news where I am from - Idaho - FWIW.

See look, a fish news article a lot of people might find interesting:

ANYWAY, I can indeed get it fresh but I have no kitchen here, though I have been more than happy to eat them as I can get them. I believe these are baked. They are cooked dry one way or another, unlike everything else that is deep fried. That said, the whole deep fried tuna I can get once in a while are incredible, probably good they aren’t available every day.

I remember being disappointed to read this a while back:

Mackeral is nasty.

It’s oily and it’s smell and flavor overwhelm everything else on the plate.

The ones I am eating are amazing, are you getting them canned or something? I get a whole fish, cooked, and just peel the meat off the skeleton into delicious, mild tasting slabs with a small amount of oiliness to them. It’s a lot like tuna, but not as dry. I don’t even need seasoning or sauce of any kind.

Most everyone that replied to OP has been foreign. It’s just not something we normally eat or even see in the states unless of course its canned. But I definitely do love it fresh and grilled

Koreans always wonder why Americans don’t like mackerel.

It’s delicious when it’s grilled or just cooked on a frying pan. Does get a bit oily though if you eat it for multiple days straight though.

It’s terrific if you eat it with something that soaks up flavor and is mild on its own. Like rice.

Rice + mackerel is heaven when you’re hungry.

[quote]Highjumper wrote:
Most everyone that replied to OP has been foreign. It’s just not something we normally eat or even see in the states unless of course its canned. But I definitely do love it fresh and grilled[/quote]

I’m Canadian-German and you can get a lot of fresh mackerel in the Maritime provinces. I really think it has more to do with living near an ocean and the eating habits and traditions that develop in coastal areas. I’d assume it’d be not that hard to get hold of in New England, but could be wrong there.

Good point about people in the States (damn 'Muricans!) I’ve always been a big fan of sardines, and while I guess they’re a bit more common over here, I can tell you that no one ever seems to be happy when I break out a few cans for a snack -lol.

S

^ Grilled fresh sardines (the larger kind, about 20 cm in length) are one of my favourite meals, but it might take me up to an hour to eat a serving of three owing to their bones, which are too large to eat with, too small to easily remove. Years of practice in removing fishbones hasn’t helped me with sardines one bit.

At any rate, they don’t seem to be common at all in NA but you’ll find them a lot at good Portugese, Spanish or southern French restaurants. Or you could visit the Algarve and purchase them fresh from an abnormally hairy man who grills them on an oil drum underneath a bridge. The ambience and the cigarette smoke just add to the flavour.

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
Good point about people in the States (damn 'Muricans!) I’ve always been a big fan of sardines, and while I guess they’re a bit more common over here, I can tell you that no one ever seems to be happy when I break out a few cans for a snack -lol.

S[/quote]

A tin of mackerel is a good way to get people to leave you alone in the office, for sure.

[quote]mutantcolors wrote:

Chime in if you care to, have recipes, news articles, whatever.[/quote]

Alright fella

I live on Ekkamai (Sukhumvit 63) - I agree that you can get some cheap Japanese meals which are mackerel based, especially in and arounfd Thong Lor 13.
Whey is expensive cos there is little to no diary industry here so they have to import most of the supps. I know a few cheap online stores that do reasonably priced supps if you interested.
PM me dude

moog