Mac Versus PC

[quote]RSGZ wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:
Macbook Pro.

Why?

I don’t play video games on my computer, just basic tasks and OS X is much more stable than Vista. The genius bar at Apple Stores are pretty cool too, they’ll basically fix any software related problem for free whether it’s in or out of warranty.

If you really like to heavily customize your computer hardware and software wise I wouldn’t go mac. But if you’re an average user I would.[/quote]

More stable than Vista? You do realize there has been a Windows 7 for the past 3 years, right? It’s definitely one of the better operating systems I’ve used.

[/quote]

Everything good about Windows 7 was derived from previous versions of OSX.

and apparently everything good about OSX was derived from linux…

Yes and they both work well.
Windows, not so much.

To err is human but to really fuck things up you need a Mac.

[quote]Simon Adebisi wrote:
Yes and they both work well.
Windows, not so much.[/quote]

What? Bullshit.

[quote]Simon Adebisi wrote:

[quote]RSGZ wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:
Macbook Pro.

Why?

I don’t play video games on my computer, just basic tasks and OS X is much more stable than Vista. The genius bar at Apple Stores are pretty cool too, they’ll basically fix any software related problem for free whether it’s in or out of warranty.

If you really like to heavily customize your computer hardware and software wise I wouldn’t go mac. But if you’re an average user I would.[/quote]

More stable than Vista? You do realize there has been a Windows 7 for the past 3 years, right? It’s definitely one of the better operating systems I’ve used.

[/quote]

Everything good about Windows 7 was derived from previous versions of OSX.[/quote]

All of them share similar concepts, and each have their advantages/disadvantages. If Windows is so shit, why has it done so well?

Fact is that over 3 years I’ve had no problems with my PC’s because I built them myself. If Apple allowed other manufacturers to slap together cheap computers that ran OSX, there would be problems too.

I’ll just leave this here.

[quote]RSGZ wrote:

All of them share similar concepts, and each have their advantages/disadvantages. If Windows is so shit, why has it done so well? [/quote]

You should read about computing history. Or at least watch Pirates of Silicon Valley. That explains it.

[quote]RSGZ wrote:

Fact is that over 3 years I’ve had no problems with my PC’s because I built them myself. If Apple allowed other manufacturers to slap together cheap computers that ran OSX, there would be problems too.[/quote]

We’ve been over this. You are not an average computer user. What’s your point about Apple not allowing cheap customized computers?

Mac users choose Mac because of the stability and great hardware-software integration.

I also didn’t comment on Windows 7 because I do not have experience with it. Either way shitty operating systems from 2000-2008 is enough for me to not bother.

[quote]RSGZ wrote:
I used Mac’s at work and personally can’t stand OS X, I can’t warm to the interface.

MBP’s were about the best laptops hardware wise, but you can find better now. We picked up a couple mid-range 2010 MBP’s at work and I was hugely disappointed at how they performed for the money.[/quote]

Hugely disappointed? For what reason? Because you couldn’t overclock the CPU?

I think you’re the only person I’ve ever heard of who was disappointed with a macbook pro.

After using a combination of OSX and Windows-based machines the past 10 years, I’d have to go with Windows 7 Professional 64-bit at this point. My OSX machine is great for everyday use but does crash from time to time when put through its paces. I also use linux daily but would not recommend it to anyone but an advanced user.

For the ordinary user, I would consider OSX or Win7 Pro. I just can’t decide between the 2.

[quote]therajraj wrote:
I also didn’t comment on Windows 7 because I do not have experience with it. Either way shitty operating systems from 2000-2008 is enough for me to not bother.[/quote]

The greatest ever made. :slight_smile:

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[quote]RSGZ wrote:
I used Mac’s at work and personally can’t stand OS X, I can’t warm to the interface.

MBP’s were about the best laptops hardware wise, but you can find better now. We picked up a couple mid-range 2010 MBP’s at work and I was hugely disappointed at how they performed for the money.[/quote]

Hugely disappointed? For what reason? Because you couldn’t overclock the CPU?

I think you’re the only person I’ve ever heard of who was disappointed with a macbook pro.[/quote]

LMFAO!

Seriously, you think everyone who uses a Mac like OSX? It is the most illogical OS I have ever used. Nothing reads left to right, you can’t cut and paste files, etc… it just doesn’t logically make sense.

I’ll admit that I tried the platform not planning to like it, but I’ve had it freeze on me 3 times in 3 months doing nothing other than Keynote. And it is slow as hell doing Photoshop work using 400mb+ files - that is NOT what I expect from a £1500 computer. I have a 13" Samsung that performs better.

[quote]therajraj wrote:
We’ve been over this. You are not an average computer user. What’s your point about Apple not allowing cheap customized computers?

Mac users choose Mac because of the stability and great hardware-software integration.

[/quote]

Mac users choose Mac’s because they are ‘cool’. There is no advantage to using OS X over Windows - ANYMORE. Yes, there used to be, but it’s no longer the same story. This is why the change occurred - let’s not forget Apple only really grew in the past 6-7 years.

You haven’t used Win7, you can’t comment on it. I’ve been using all the OS’s for the past 6 years (on/off) - Win7 is every bit as good as OS X. The only advantage I see is Spaces - that’s it.

My point about Apple not allowing cheap customization? Well, they aren’t in that market. But, that’s fine - for them. They create new markets, and innovate. They can’t operate in a business and corporate environment because their business model doesn’t work there. This is why they’ve pulled out of that market.

[quote]power_bulker wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:
I also didn’t comment on Windows 7 because I do not have experience with it. Either way shitty operating systems from 2000-2008 is enough for me to not bother.[/quote]

The greatest ever made. :)[/quote]

Windows 2000 was about the best. Server 2008 R2 is awesome.

FYI, if you think MS is just standing still - have a look as what they are planning for Windows 8:

http://www.viddler.com/explore/engadget/videos/2817/

I have both, the average user will probably be happy with either. I have my PC powerhouse gaming desktop that I use for random crap, and my school Macbook air. There’s a few things I dislike about OSX, but there is more I hate about vista.

I hate how fanboyish Mac people can be (though I suppose Windows/Linux people do this, but less frequently in my experience). While this is not the fault of the OS itself, I still blame Apple for its marketing.

http://articles.cnn.com/2011-05-19/tech/apple.religion_1_apple-store-apple-employees-brains?_s=PM:TECH

I’ve used windows, macs, and linux and much prefer windows. Macs are counterintuitive to me since I’m used to windows, and you can’t modify it. There’s an article about how Apple makes your computer crash if you try to modify it, but I’m having a hard time finding it. Itunes is also obscenely irritating with its updates, no matter how many times I tell it never to ask me if I want to update safari and quick time, it still asks.

Safari is also the least secure browser, and the only reason mac people never get viruses is that not many people design viruses for the OS since until recently the market share hasn’t been very large.

I’ve never had a virus on my windows 7 laptop, and it has never crashed either. My netbook which I run linux (ubuntu netbook edition( on has had a couple of problems in terms of compatibility with drivers; namely I can’t adjust the brightness once I’ve logged in (I can only do it at boot up). My school’s wifi is also incompatible with linux on my particular netbook (it works with other netbooks/laptops running linux) Linux is really good in terms of user control, meaning I can update what I want to update and change what I want.

Apple products are also way too pricey for my taste, but in the end I couldn’t care less what computer people use so long as they shut up about it.

TL;DR
I like windows, but people should use whatever the hell they want.

There are, as far as we know, no Mac OS X viruses in the wild.

To prove that assertion wrong, you only have to name one.

I haven’t gotten a virus on a PC since I was ten.

Entry level macs might be better than entry level PCs, but you can buy a pretty extreme PC with the money you don’t spend on a macbook pro. My short comparison based on the Swedish prices:

1800$ gets you a quad core sandy bridge ASUS PC with 16 gigs of RAM (for teh lulz), a 500GB 7200RPM HDD, a 1920x1080 15 inch screen, nvidia 550M graphics, a blu ray burner, USB3.0 and Bang & Olufsen speakers. (And of course HDMI and VGA ports)

2600$ gets you a quad core sandy bridge mac with 4 gigs of RAM, a 500GB 5400RPM HDD, a 1440x900 15 inch screen and ATI radeon 6490 graphics. Oh yeah, and thunderbolt.

800 bucks gives you one hell of an SSD. Which, unlike in the mac, will probably work.

U jelly applefags?

Good thread. I’m glad all the Windows followers have GOOD reasons to back it up. It is definitely the way to go in the business/gaming/everyday world although a ‘newbie’ would be able to benefit from either.