Lyle Mcdonald Generic Bulking Routine

Just stick to the set volume the routine has

[quote]janson8000 wrote:
What I’ve said is back by proven research, so those are not my beliefs, there pretty much facts. [/quote]

Be careful whose advice you follow; you’ll probably wind up looking like them.

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

[quote]Raubtier wrote:
I�´ll add them in on tuesdays and rear delt work on fridays.[/quote]
Can I just say that this is exactly why it’s best to stick to a program as-is, run it entirely, and then consider modifications.

This thread started “Hey is this program okay or do I need to add lateral raises” and literally overnight flipped to “I’m gonna add laterals and rear delts”. Next step is “Ya know, there’s not really much bi work, so I’m adding one more kind of curl.” And then, “My chest is lagging so I’ll add pec-deck once a week.” Slippery slopes are slippery.

If you want to make your own program, fine. If you want to follow a pre-designed program, fine. But don’t Frankenstein a routine until you’ve given it a legit chance in the first place.[/quote]

I have to disagree in this instance. The program had zero side or rear delt work. Adding them actually shows maturity in that there’s solid understanding of a well-rounded BBing routine and he understands he shouldn’t follow a routine blindly just because someone has their name attached to it and says it should be done as is. It’s not the same thing as adding MORE volume to what’s already there (like bis in your example), it’s simply instating SOME volume where there’s none.

Anyone who cares about looking better naked should have lateral and rear delt work. I’ve been wrong before, but I don’t get the slippery slope vibe from the OP. I think he just added two exercises on the week and plans on sticking to it. Just my impression.

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

[quote]Raubtier wrote:
I�?�´ll add them in on tuesdays and rear delt work on fridays.[/quote]
Can I just say that this is exactly why it’s best to stick to a program as-is, run it entirely, and then consider modifications.

This thread started “Hey is this program okay or do I need to add lateral raises” and literally overnight flipped to “I’m gonna add laterals and rear delts”. Next step is “Ya know, there’s not really much bi work, so I’m adding one more kind of curl.” And then, “My chest is lagging so I’ll add pec-deck once a week.” Slippery slopes are slippery.

If you want to make your own program, fine. If you want to follow a pre-designed program, fine. But don’t Frankenstein a routine until you’ve given it a legit chance in the first place.[/quote]

I have to disagree in this instance. The program had zero side or rear delt work. Adding them actually shows maturity in that there’s solid understanding of a well-rounded BBing routine and he understands he shouldn’t follow a routine blindly just because someone has their name attached to it and says it should be done as is. It’s not the same thing as adding MORE volume to what’s already there (like bis in your example), it’s simply instating SOME volume where there’s none.

Anyone who cares about looking better naked should have lateral and rear delt work. I’ve been wrong before, but I don’t get the slippery slope vibe from the OP. I think he just added two exercises on the week and plans on sticking to it. Just my impression.
[/quote]

Man thats what I thin aswell. I have been on countless sheiko blocks, and I am pretty familiar with what the volume does to you :slight_smile: I dont think 3 sets of extra delt work two times a week will send me crashing.

Thank you!

[quote]BlueCollarTr8n wrote:

[quote]janson8000 wrote:
What I’ve said is back by proven research, so those are not my beliefs, there pretty much facts. [/quote]

[/quote]

based on your logic, if be best to follow what the ifbb pros do,

[quote]janson8000 wrote:

[quote]janson8000 wrote:

[/quote]

based on your logic, if be best to follow what the ifbb pros do, [/quote]

and that would be a bad thing because…?

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[quote]janson8000 wrote:

[quote]janson8000 wrote:

[/quote]

and that would be a bad thing because…?[/quote]

I don’t even know how to mentally process the fact that he’s intending to start a debate with a man at 50 that looks like that in his avatar on how to train.

[quote]dt79 wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[quote]janson8000 wrote:

[quote]janson8000 wrote:

[/quote]

I don’t even know how to mentally process the fact that he’s intending to start a debate with a man at 50 that looks like that in his avatar on how to train.[/quote]

It’s honestly a pretty amazing phenomenon we’re witnessing online these days. There is this idea being spread that, because someone is successful, it is an indication that they DON’T know how to train.

Success in lifting is an indication of steroid abuse and/or superior genetics, and therefore, anyone that has succeeded is in no place to give advice to those of us who aren’t using drugs/genetically gifted. The only people we can really listen to are the unsuccessful people who have read a lot of stuff about lifting.

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[quote]janson8000 wrote:

[quote]janson8000 wrote:

[/quote]

IFBB pros are on high doses of gear which change so many variable, that you can’t compare what an ifbb pro does to a natural lifter

[quote]dt79 wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[quote]janson8000 wrote:

[quote]janson8000 wrote:

[/quote]

I don’t even know how to mentally process the fact that he’s intending to start a debate with a man at 50 that looks like that in his avatar on how to train.[/quote]

wasn’t trying to start an argument, just that because someone is jacked doesn’t make what they do the best choice. maybe one style of training got them there results, but if they were to train in a way that is considered “optimal” they could have reached there goals sooner.

my view on training and nutrition, is that you should choose the way the is most efficient in getting you to you goals.

i’d rather listen to someone who has years of research and multiple studies backing their view, then someone who is telling you to follow their advice because it got them jacked

[quote]janson8000 wrote:
i’d rather listen to someone who has years of research and multiple studies backing their view, then someone who is telling you to follow their advice because it got them jacked[/quote]

How has that approach worked out for you?

so far, my strength has been consistently going up, and slowly gaining weight.

[quote]janson8000 wrote:
so far, my strength has been consistently going up, and slowly gaining weight.[/quote]

Progress is always positive. I meant more achievement wise though. What sort of accomplishments has this method gotten you?

600lb dead? 8 percent body fat?

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:

[quote]janson8000 wrote:
so far, my strength has been consistently going up, and slowly gaining weight.[/quote]

Progress is always positive. I meant more achievement wise though. What sort of accomplishments has this method gotten you?

600lb dead? 8 percent body fat? [/quote]

I would still be considered in the late novice-early intermediate level of lifting, so i’m still a work in my progress.
this might sound silly to everyone but my goals are a 650lb deadlift, 400lb bench, and a pro card in bodybuilding, which is why i want the most to use the most efficient way to get there

[quote]janson8000 wrote:
I would still be considered in the late novice-early intermediate level of lifting, so i’m still a work in my progress.
this might sound silly to everyone but my goals are a 650lb deadlift, 400lb bench, and a pro card in bodybuilding, which is why i want the most to use the most efficient way to get there
[/quote]

Truthfully, I feel like you are too junior to really have an opinion on this. By deciding already that there is a right and a wrong way to go about this, you are closing far more doors than you are opening.

I do wish you luck on meeting your goals.

[quote]T3hP6vwnisher wrote:

[quote]dt79 wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[quote]janson8000 wrote:

[quote]janson8000 wrote:

[/quote]

It’s honestly a pretty amazing phenomenon we’re witnessing online these days. There is this idea being spread that, because someone is successful, it is an indication that they DON’T know how to train.

Success in lifting is an indication of steroid abuse and/or superior genetics, and therefore, anyone that has succeeded is in no place to give advice to those of us who aren’t using drugs/genetically gifted. The only people we can really listen to are the unsuccessful people who have read a lot of stuff about lifting.
[/quote]

Ha I agree. And I blame the youtubers who try to give advice to Konstantinov on how to deadlift as much as I blame the authors spreading this nonsense.

Many low to high profile authors with lessor physical development have been marketing themselves in this manner to differentiate themselves from those who actually have the physique to show for it to gain credibility in the industry, citing multiple studies and interpreting them without regard for real world application to seem more informed than the average “meathead” or juiced up bodybuilder. And they have done it quite well apparantly, judging from their followings of lessor developed readers who can cite studies at the drop of a hat.

I thought with the emergence of John Meadows, who markets himself as having in the trenches knowledge as well as uitilising current research to shape his methods, these silly impressions of dumb meatheads or “bodybuilders who get big in spite of what they do” (Cressey et al, 200?, before finding his market in sports training and mobility and writing excellent articles on these subjects) would die.

[quote]janson8000 wrote:

[quote]dt79 wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[quote]janson8000 wrote:

[quote]janson8000 wrote:

[/quote]

wasn’t trying to start an argument, just that because someone is jacked doesn’t make what they do the best choice. maybe one style of training got them there results, but if they were to train in a way that is considered “optimal” they could have reached there goals sooner.

my view on training and nutrition, is that you should choose the way the is most efficient in getting you to you goals.

i’d rather listen to someone who has years of research and multiple studies backing their view, then someone who is telling you to follow their advice because it got them jacked[/quote]

I am being nice because I have just seen your profile and it says you are 16.

Your very faulty assumption is that someone who spends years getting jacked has not, or is too stupid or uneducated, to have read a shitload of “research and multiple studies” over the years, and is able to seperate the bullshit from what really matters.

[quote]janson8000 wrote:

Duh. You’ve only been training for 5 months. There would be something severely wrong with you if you were not progressing.

[quote]janson8000 wrote:

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:

[quote]janson8000 wrote:

600lb dead? 8 percent body fat? [/quote]

[/quote]

There is nothing silly about having such goals as long as the approach to attaining them is made in an open minded and objective manner.

What are your current stats btw. Just curious.

[quote]janson8000 wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[quote]janson8000 wrote:

[quote]janson8000 wrote:

[/quote]

IFBB pros are on high doses of gear which change so many variable, that you can’t compare what an ifbb pro does to a natural lifter[/quote]

Being on synthetic hormones keeps certain variables more constant, as opposed to natural training where things such your endocrine system is in constant fluctuation. It can arguably be said that it is easier to isolate and measure efficacy of certain training methods more easily due to such a lack of variables, or variables that are easily manipulated through chemical means, and the increased speed of results, while taking into regard the unique effects of different substances. This would, of course, be in theory.