Lyle Mcdonald Generic Bulking Routine

Hi!

Had a few years of powerlifting-oriented training. But the constant pursiut for lifting heavy (prime focus 1-5 rep range) has drained my motivation.
Now I�?�¡m loking for att hypertrophy routine, soley a bodybuilding routine.

My stats are:
31 years old. 95kg / 185cm
Squat 145x5
Bench 115x1
Deadlift 190x1
Press 70x1

I have looked into Lyles generic bulking routine. Would this be a sound way to start?
It looks something like this

Lower:
Squat 3-4 x 6-8
SLDL 3-4 x 6-8
Leg press 2-3 x 10-12
Leg curl 2-3 x 10-12
Calf Raise 3-4 x 6-8
Seated Calf 2-3 x 10-12

Upper:
Bench 3-4 x 6-8
T-bar Row 3-4 x 6-8
Military Press 2-3 x 10-12
Lat Pulldown 2-3 x 10-12
Lying Triceps ext. 2-3 x 12-15
Incline Biceps Curl 2-3 x 12-15

Lower:
Front Squat 3-4 x 6-8
Deadlift 3-4 x 6-8
Hacklift 2-3 x 10-12
Leg curl 2-3 x 10-12
Calf raise 3-4 x 6-8
Seated calf 2-3 x 10-12

Upper:
Incline 3-4 x 6-8
Pull-up 3-4 x 6-8
DB Bench 2-3 x 10-12
Cable Row 2-3 x 10-12
Overhead ext. 2-3 x 12-15
Barbell Curl 2-3 x 12-15

Abs will be done twice a week.
Is this routine a good way to introduce me to bodybuilding? I prefer the twice a week frequency. When I did powerlifting I used to squat and bencg 3 times/week and deadlifting twice a week

Is direct medial delt work nessecary or can I go on with this and worry about that until later?

Thanks for the help guys!

imo, lyle routine is pretty solid, though you might want to add in some side delt work(Lateral raises). other than that its a pretty good routine.

It is a good program that people can follow indefinitely, especially those who do not compete.

If you are at the stage of training in which you have to ask, “Is there enough medial delt work?”, you likely don’t need direct medial delt work. Just my opinion. People who bench 115 for 1 and press 70 for 1 should be more concerned with getting a bench up to 225 x 10 and a press of 135 x 10 than worrying about lateral raises.

i thought his weights were in kilos, if there in lbs, then i’d have to agree that he probably shouldn’t worry about minor things like that at this stage of lifting

He listed his weight in kilos, so it’s safe to assume those numbers are also in kilos.

Yes, the weights are in kilos.

What is your opinion on the volume? A total of 7 sets for each muscle group twice a week (example bench 4x6-8 followed by incline for 3x10-12). Is that enough to stimulate growth?

The thing about side raises, is that I´ve come across that in close to every forum I read. That you need to do them.
I guess Im still caught in my old old training fashion that basic compound excercises are enough :slight_smile:
Perhaps switch my regular military press for behind the neck press. I´ve read that BNP hits the shoulder more overall?

Why would he NOT do laterals? They take maybe an extra 5 mins and will not hinder recovery in the least bit, while stimulating one of the most commonly lagging muscles.

[quote]Spidey22 wrote:
Why would he NOT do laterals? They take maybe an extra 5 mins and will not hinder recovery in the least bit, while stimulating one of the most commonly lagging muscles.[/quote]

exactly what I was thinking. Not exactly hard just to throw a few sets of laterals in between sets of arm work or something

You are right! Did them last today and it felt great. I´ll add them in on tuesdays and rear delt work on fridays.

Thanks all for your insightful help!

[quote]Raubtier wrote:
I´ll add them in on tuesdays and rear delt work on fridays.[/quote]
Can I just say that this is exactly why it’s best to stick to a program as-is, run it entirely, and then consider modifications.

This thread started “Hey is this program okay or do I need to add lateral raises” and literally overnight flipped to “I’m gonna add laterals and rear delts”. Next step is “Ya know, there’s not really much bi work, so I’m adding one more kind of curl.” And then, “My chest is lagging so I’ll add pec-deck once a week.” Slippery slopes are slippery.

If you want to make your own program, fine. If you want to follow a pre-designed program, fine. But don’t Frankenstein a routine until you’ve given it a legit chance in the first place.

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

[quote]Raubtier wrote:
I�?�´ll add them in on tuesdays and rear delt work on fridays.[/quote]
Can I just say that this is exactly why it’s best to stick to a program as-is, run it entirely, and then consider modifications.

This thread started “Hey is this program okay or do I need to add lateral raises” and literally overnight flipped to “I’m gonna add laterals and rear delts”. Next step is “Ya know, there’s not really much bi work, so I’m adding one more kind of curl.” And then, “My chest is lagging so I’ll add pec-deck once a week.” Slippery slopes are slippery.

If you want to make your own program, fine. If you want to follow a pre-designed program, fine. But don’t Frankenstein a routine until you’ve given it a legit chance in the first place.[/quote]

I come from a powerlifting background, and just stepped into the world of bodybuilding-ish training. Wherever you read there is a dogmatic rules that all part of the body must be isolated. Please enlighten me. Is this true? (aside from following a program blindly)

Would you suggest to stick to this routine, or is a once a week frequency with higher volume be more suited for a natural lifter?

It depends on the lifter. Blanket statements like this are ridiculous because individual recovery rates, both physical and mental, will differ. What lets you bring forth the most intensity in the gym, and keeps you motivated and seeing constant progress for the long haul, is what matters.

Why are you thinking of Lyle’s routine? Of all the routines out there, why this one? (I don’t have anything better to offer, just wondering.)

while recovery can vary a little, most experts and research shows that 2x a week is more “optimal” for a natural lifer than 1

[quote]janson8000 wrote:
while recovery can vary a little, most experts and research shows that 2x a week is more “optimal” for a natural lifer than 1[/quote]

You should rephrase that as “many authors and self proclaimed experts interpret research conducted on small populations that are hardly representative of the vast majority of lifters, without taking into account age, genetics, lifestyle, stressors, physiological and psychological makeup of such lifters among a myriad of other things, and without regard for the experience of lifters who have actually got really fucking big, to make absolute statements with certain bias catering to a niche market of beginners who read and regurgite more than they actually lift.”

And going by this logic when AAS users are put in the equation, since AAS provides enhanced recovery, would it not make more sense for a user to train a muscle 5-6 times a week twice a day, baring any existing problems with joints and tendons (which can also be rectified to an extent by the right substances) for “optimal results”?

Why don’t they do that?

i’d have to strongly disagree with you.
In drug-free lifters muscle protein synthesis returns to baseline in the myofibrillar portions of the muscle within 48 hours training
Training a muscle more frequently will give you a greater weekly protein synthesis.

As far as users on aas, the steroids help them maintain an elevated level of protein synthesis longer, thus no giving them the need to train a muscle frequently.

These are my belief, that research and many people who are considered experts(by many people) support.

[quote]LoRez wrote:
Why are you thinking of Lyle’s routine? Of all the routines out there, why this one? (I don’t have anything better to offer, just wondering.)[/quote]

It´s to soon to say. I will give a better awnser in a few weeks. I´ve just started it. It seems legit on paper!

[quote]janson8000 wrote:
while recovery can vary a little, most experts and research shows that 2x a week is more “optimal” for a natural lifer than 1[/quote]

If so. Is there any recomendations on the volume going twice a week? Is the routine I outlined in the first post enough per muscle group?

[quote]janson8000 wrote:
i’d have to strongly disagree with you.
In drug-free lifters muscle protein synthesis returns to baseline in the myofibrillar portions of the muscle within 48 hours training
Training a muscle more frequently will give you a greater weekly protein synthesis.

As far as users on aas, the steroids help them maintain an elevated level of protein synthesis longer, thus no giving them the need to train a muscle frequently.

These are my belief, that research and many people who are considered experts(by many people) support.[/quote]

You are simply regurgitating things that are common knowledge to hopefully anyone who has picked up a barbell without consideration for all other factors that are responsible for constant muscle growth for the individual lifter.

Since you already have a fixed set of beliefs based on your whopping 6 months of weight training experience, it would be redundant to continue this exchange.

What I’ve said is back by proven research, so those are not my beliefs, there pretty much facts.