T Nation

Lying Rear Delt Raises

Hi little buddies,

Ill keep this short.

When doing lying rear delt raises, I cant seem to get full ROM (ie: I cant get my arms parallel to the floor)).

Question is; is this the case because my rear delts are weak(only using 4kg dBs), or is it more of a shoulder/pecs mobility issue? Any tips?

Uncle Bird.

tweet

Try a lighter weight and tell us if the problem is still there. Rear delt raises are not an exercise which you want to load up heavy, it simply doesn’t really work.

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:
Try a lighter weight …[/quote]

Im only using 4kg dBs.

tweet

In before John meadows

[quote]theBird wrote:

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:
Try a lighter weight …[/quote]

Im only using 4kg dBs.

tweet[/quote]

I’ll put it another way… Try doing them with very light weight (or forget it, just do it with your empty hands) to find out whether strength or flexibility is the issue. If the former is the case, I’d just use an appropriate weight and hold the peak contraction for a second or two on every rep. Your active flexibility should increase with your strength.

[quote]Marzouk wrote:
In before John meadows[/quote]

Is John Meadows coming to this thread?

tweet

Yes, he likes organic free ranged birds that don’t eat any source of gluten. I second seeing if you can do the full range of motion without weight, and if you can’t just do whatever your current full range of motion is with weight.