T Nation

Lycopene (Tomatoes) Reduce Testosterone

“lycopene, or tomato powder had ~40â??50% lower serum testosterone concentrations than the sham-operated, control-fed group[!!!]”

No more chilli for me!

shit I love ketchup

In rats.

[quote]Bill Roberts wrote:
In rats.[/quote]

All that needs to be said.

Maybe this explains why ethnicities who eat the most tomatoes - italians, mexicans, indians etc are the puniest.

While those who eat the least like the swedish and germans are fucking huge.

[quote]Bill Roberts wrote:
In rats.[/quote]

Rats are mammals though. Their biology works in a similar way to humans.
That’s why the experts always use rats to experiment on.

[quote]Im Yolked wrote:
Bill Roberts wrote:
In rats.

Rats are mammals though. Their biology works in a similar way to humans.
That’s why the experts always use rats to experiment on.[/quote]

Similar but not exact same. They base their finding off of rats then try to produce the same in humans, if safe to do so. Until they come out with a study on people you can’t really go forth into believing has the same effect on people.

[quote]Im Yolked wrote:
Maybe this explains why ethnicities who eat the most tomatoes - italians, mexicans, indians etc are the puniest.

While those who eat the least like the swedish and germans are fucking huge.[/quote]

There is just so much wrong and fail here…

[quote]Im Yolked wrote:
Bill Roberts wrote:
In rats.

Rats are mammals though. Their biology works in a similar way to humans.
That’s why the experts always use rats to experiment on.[/quote]

One of the unfortunate things in drug discovery (which this isn’t, but the issue is the same) is that there is no animal that is a highly reliable predictor of what will occur in man.

The value of experimenting with rats is:

  1. It is far cheaper to do and involves far less hassle. For example, in this study, how easy is it to get a large number of people to all eat an absolutely controlled, identical diet for the necessary duration of the study?

  2. Where safety is unknown, this is a major hurdle with man but not with rats.

  3. Results can show that given biochemical mechanisms are possible in some mammals and in fact in the rat.

  4. Findings can be a clue as to what might be interesting or worthwhile to look at in man.

But it is not correct to conclude that findings are probably the case in man.

For example, from this study one might think it worthwhile to try a study in man.

But that would need to be done before jumping to conclusions about effect of lycopene on testosterone production in man.

Practical observation makes it unlikely there is any large adverse effect, if any adverse effect. Who has ever noticed it? It cannot be said that all successful natural bb’ers avoid pizza, for example. Or as for myself, I’ve certainly many times had periods of quite substantial tomato consumption, and periods of no consumption, and never noticed a thing.

[quote]Im Yolked wrote:

Rats are mammals though. Their biology works in a similar way to humans.
That’s why the experts always use rats to experiment on.[/quote]

And what do the ‘non-experts’ experiment on… elephants?

1st scientist: Doctor, can I get some assistance here?

2nd scientist: Sure. What seems to be the problem?

1st scientist: Well, I’ve been trying to conduct a very complex experiment, but I just can’t seem to get jumbo here to fit in the maze. I’m no expert, but I think somebody built the maze to the wrong specs.

2nd scientist: You fucking amateur! What do you think the rats are for?

1st scientist: Uh, to distract the elephants?

Still eating tomatoes

[quote]Im Yolked wrote:
Maybe this explains why ethnicities who eat the most tomatoes - italians, mexicans, indians etc are the puniest.

While those who eat the least like the swedish and germans are fucking huge.[/quote]

Boy I would love to stand in front of you and my boy Tony and see you say this.

[quote]MaximusB wrote:
Im Yolked wrote:
Maybe this explains why ethnicities who eat the most tomatoes - italians, mexicans, indians etc are the puniest.

While those who eat the least like the swedish and germans are fucking huge.

Boy I would love to stand in front of you and my boy Tony and see you say this. [/quote]

You’re italian?

[quote]Im Yolked wrote:
MaximusB wrote:
Im Yolked wrote:
Maybe this explains why ethnicities who eat the most tomatoes - italians, mexicans, indians etc are the puniest.

While those who eat the least like the swedish and germans are fucking huge.

Boy I would love to stand in front of you and my boy Tony and see you say this.

You’re italian?

[/quote]

Roman, get it right asshole.

Lol.
Assuming you don’t roid and are big and tall (6ft +), it’s because you’re italian-american and you have a significantly different culture/lifestyle/diet to your Italian friends.

[quote]Im Yolked wrote:
Maybe this explains why ethnicities who eat the most tomatoes - italians, mexicans, indians etc are the puniest.

While those who eat the least like the swedish and germans are fucking huge.[/quote]

Because we all know there are no muscular italians, mexicans, or indians in the world…

[quote]Im Yolked wrote:
Lol.
Assuming you don’t roid and are big and tall (6ft +), it’s because you’re italian-american and you have a significantly different culture/lifestyle/diet to your Italian friends.[/quote]

I am Italian, period. I was born and raised in Rome. Do you have any other questions?

[quote]MaximusB wrote:
Im Yolked wrote:
Lol.
Assuming you don’t roid and are big and tall (6ft +), it’s because you’re italian-american and you have a significantly different culture/lifestyle/diet to your Italian friends.

I am Italian, period. I was born and raised in Rome. Do you have any other questions?[/quote]

Hahaha. Let’s compare pics of OP and Max.

[quote]MaximusB wrote:
Im Yolked wrote:
Lol.
Assuming you don’t roid and are big and tall (6ft +), it’s because you’re italian-american and you have a significantly different culture/lifestyle/diet to your Italian friends.

I am Italian, period. I was born and raised in Rome. Do you have any other questions?[/quote]

calmati fratello,IM Yolked e solo un pezzo di merda bocchalarga :)…

Are you related to Yolked Up?