Lurking: A Study

[quote]angry chicken wrote:
I started reading the articles back in 02 or 03. Got a lot of good information from the forums (lurking of course). I have another screen name from ‘05, but I have pics with my face and personal stuff (like my name) in my thread history from back in the day. I mainly hung out on the BB and Steroid forums. I applied the information intelligently and got pretty big and strong. I had some serious injuries (ten surgeries total) and stopped lifting for a few years. Now that I don’t weigh 245 anymore, I was afraid to post because Prof X will start yelling that I’m not big enough to give advice. LOL (I got nothin’ but luv for you, X - you’ve taught me a lot over the years) I started posting in the over 35 section last year during my rehab and a bit after that, but it got a little old (no pun intended). So I stopped.

When I came back and saw that they made some changes to the site, so I started poking around. When I discovered SAMA and GAL (Back then I just never clicked those other forums for some reason…) I decided to just make a new screen name when I discovered I had something to contribute to protect my privacy.

Google is getting better and better every year. When I google myself, I have PAGES of stuff come up. I don’t want someone googleing me and find my name and pictures of my face on a sex forum giving someone advice on a threesome, or something! It would be relatively easy for someone to fuck with my business if they knew my name, because I have several websites for real estate and mortgage.

So now I’m a fucking '09er…[/quote]

LOL! That shit is hilarious

I started reading the articles back in 02 or 03. Got a lot of good information from the forums (lurking of course). I have another screen name from ‘05, but I have pics with my face and personal stuff (like my name) in my thread history from back in the day. I mainly hung out on the BB and Steroid forums. I applied the information intelligently and got pretty big and strong. I had some serious injuries (ten surgeries total) and stopped lifting for a few years. Now that I don’t weigh 245 anymore, I was afraid to post because Prof X will start yelling that I’m not big enough to give advice. LOL (I got nothin’ but luv for you, X - you’ve taught me a lot over the years) I started posting in the over 35 section last year during my rehab and a bit after that, but it got a little old (no pun intended). So I stopped.

When I came back and saw that they made some changes to the site, so I started poking around. When I discovered SAMA and GAL (Back then I just never clicked those other forums for some reason…) I decided to just make a new screen name when I discovered I had something to contribute to protect my privacy.

Google is getting better and better every year. When I google myself, I have PAGES of stuff come up. I don’t want someone googleing me and find my name and pictures of my face on a sex forum giving someone advice on a threesome, or something! It would be relatively easy for someone to fuck with my business if they knew my name, because I have several websites for real estate and mortgage.

Seriously? You’re over 35? I figured you would be at most 35.

Fucking '09er… :stuck_out_tongue: Good stuff bro. For some reason, like grneyes, I never took you for an over 35er…

Hi. My name is _______________ and I am a lurker.

[quote]Synima wrote:
Hi. My name is _______________ and I am a lurker.[/quote]

Wow…

There is more of you than I thought.

I wonder if this thread will turn any of you out… We need some new post whoring.

[quote]countingbeans wrote:
BJBanker wrote:
countingbeans wrote:
LankyMofo wrote:
countingbeans wrote:
Brasidas wrote:
Am lurker - mainly just concentrate on the basics and dont have enough time in my job to really contribute to the offtopic stuff but enjoy reading posts and articles.

Wow, you are pretty good too. You don’t beat 1 post in 4 years, but you are close second to most amazing lurker for sure.

A few months ago I saw someone with an October 2002 join date have their first post. I think I called him the lurker of all lurkers or something along those lines and the fucker didn’t respond. He’s a true master of his trade.

If this guy is reading, please GOD post…

That shit is awesome.

Alright, I’ll own up (hate getting called out, lol). BTW, I echo everything Sephysto said. Back to lurking…

Holy fucking shit. Amazing.

You are like the anti-X. If you two post in the same thread the internet would explode.[/quote]

Apparently you haven’t checked his rather robust post history. Now, if he posted 3 times in the same thread…all bets are off.

I lurk because I know if I posted I’d be constantly checking the thread to see if someone replied to my post & I’d drive myself crazy.

[quote]postholedigger wrote:
grneyes wrote:
angry chicken wrote:

So now I’m a fucking '09er…

Fucking '09er… :stuck_out_tongue: Good stuff bro. For some reason, like grneyes, I never took you for an over 35er…

[/quote]

Yup, I’m an OLD FART! But my facebook age says I’m 23! :wink: I’m also amazingly well preserved (due to an addiction to foaming facial cleanser and sunscreen in my 20’s) and I’m one SEXY BITCH! LOL

Good on ya, man. Good on ya! Salud!

I’ve been lurking on and off for a couple of years now.
I only ever checked out the articles though, that was until i read the “Ronnie Coleman can’t dunk” thread.

(due to an addiction to foam rolling my face in my 20’s) and I’m one SEXY BITCH! LOL
[/quote]

That is what I read.

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:
countingbeans wrote:
BJBanker wrote:
countingbeans wrote:
LankyMofo wrote:
countingbeans wrote:
Brasidas wrote:
Am lurker - mainly just concentrate on the basics and dont have enough time in my job to really contribute to the offtopic stuff but enjoy reading posts and articles.

Wow, you are pretty good too. You don’t beat 1 post in 4 years, but you are close second to most amazing lurker for sure.

A few months ago I saw someone with an October 2002 join date have their first post. I think I called him the lurker of all lurkers or something along those lines and the fucker didn’t respond. He’s a true master of his trade.

If this guy is reading, please GOD post…

That shit is awesome.

Alright, I’ll own up (hate getting called out, lol). BTW, I echo everything Sephysto said. Back to lurking…

Holy fucking shit. Amazing.

You are like the anti-X. If you two post in the same thread the internet would explode.

Apparently you haven’t checked his rather robust post history. Now, if he posted 3 times in the same thread…all bets are off.[/quote]

I don’t have all day to dig through all his posts, I have a job ya know.

postholedigger wrote:
grneyes wrote:
angry chicken wrote:

So now I’m a fucking '09er…

Yup, I’m an OLD FART! But my facebook age says I’m 23! :wink: I’m also amazingly well preserved (due to an addiction to foaming facial cleanser and sunscreen in my 20’s) and I’m one SEXY BITCH! LOL
[/quote]

Pix to verify, please.

I found this site about a year and a half ago, because I wanted to get in shape (about 350 lbs after I stopped playing football), but also wanted to do it in an interesting way. Googled Strongman training, and a site by Joe DeFranco came up, and mentions T-Nation.

Then I found my second home, but only recently started posting cuz I realized how little I truly knew (and how little my football coaches new) about true strength training. Thought every sentence I typed, I’d be called out as an idiot.

First post. Joined a while back, can’t remember when it was. Why not post sooner? Because I wasn’t making enough progress to warrant it. There were a lot of times I wanted to and didn’t, and now that I look back I’m glad. I would have looked pretty stupid plus I was able to figure a lot of it out just by reading and trying it on my own. Still, it’s been an embarassingly long road in terms of progress. I feel like I’m finally getting some decent numbers now and with much less pain than I used to have. I really like the longevity aspect that this site promotes.

I think the most important thing I’ve learned/experienced by being here is that you don’t need to read into things so deeply. People analyze the shit out of everything when that’s not what they need to be doing. I always thought I was hopeless and needed some magic program - but what it boiled down to is consistency in getting to the gym and in diet. I half assed it for a long time - wasted too many years.

And it has been incredible motivation just to hear how you guys talk about respectable weights. It’s not hard to be the biggest guy in your circle of friends and then lose your drive to hit the next level. You guys help keep me on track.

Thanks!

[quote]jkskier wrote:

And it has been incredible motivation just to hear how you guys talk about respectable weights. It’s not hard to be the biggest guy in your circle of friends and then lose your drive to hit the next level. You guys help keep me on track.

Thanks![/quote]

x2, Especially when all my friends think its cool to weigh 160 lbs and think protein and creatine are really bad for you lol. I read the site almost everyday before i go workout to get focused on the goal.

Hi. Lurking for a little more than a year when I started lifting. I will probably post more when I’ve made gains to the point where I think I can be taken seriously as I’m not gonna add my voice to the hundreds of other 160lb kids who think they are big enough to give bulking advice when there are serious hulks on this board. Back to lurking.

I lurked from roughly 2003 - 2005…just read the articles…was a lot busier at work then…finally posted in one of Thibs’ discussion boards asking about a Waterbury article…felt so stupid didn’t post again for about 6 months…

[quote]25th wrote:
I lurk because I know if I posted I’d be constantly checking the thread to see if someone replied to my post & I’d drive myself crazy. [/quote]

indeed

Professional lurker. Occasionally venture out

Ps I’ve no idea why this appeared as a link for me - looks like it’s 6 years old …maybe it’s a hint

:slight_smile: