Lunge Challenge 2.0: Half-Mile/Full Mile

Challenge accepted :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

Is the DOMS pretty bad for anyone else after this? Progressively worse everyday for the past 3 days. I did some deads yesterday without any problems but stairs and sitting in a low chair are kind of daunting

1 Like

Ummmm
Errrrrr
Welllll
Uhhhhhh

I did a fifth of a mile!! LOL. Oops. Time for remedial math so I can reduce fractions correctly :flushed:

2 Likes

Yeah mine were terrible

1 Like

Yep, I definitely slacked :joy:
No doms

1 Like

I had squats the day after this challenge, when my legs were already kind of hurting. Super light squats - 220 for 5x5 - but enough that they were miserable, and my legs today feel just awful. I couldn’t get into my car properly so I dipped one leg in and then just fell sideways into it to avoid putting pressure on the bent outside leg.

3 Likes

This is how I’ve been feeling. When I was walking down the stairs I thought, “now I know why we make sure patients can navigate stairs prior to discharge.” Leg was giving out 3/4th of the way through the eccentric so I felt like it was more of a controlled fall than a walk. Handrail was a must.

Still sore but slightly better today, think this DOMS might last the whole week in some degree. Time to write an e-book on once a week leg training and become gurus

2 Likes

Last week I did 15 minutes worth of walking lunges (not sure how far that’d have gotten me) followed by 300 Hindu squats and 100 jumping squats. Like an hour later I went on a walk with my GF and I nearly ate it down the few steps to get outside. I found out that day the railing is secured pretty well to the wall.

3 Likes

So quads are Lowering muscles?

1 Like

I wouldn’t say they’re lowering, I’d say they’re extending the knee to prevent us falling forwards.

2 Likes

@FlatsFarmer

In fairness, if we say that walking and running are our “base human functions,” quads would in fact be lowering muscles. As @flappinit said, they’re there to stop us collapsing. I can’t remember the name of the study - if you guys want I can go find it - but walking is driven by 80% ankle and 20% hip, and running is 80% hip and 20% ankle. The knee musculature is really only there for dynamic stability and transfer from ankle to hip.

PS I hope I didn’t come across as a dick there, just thought that was interesting

2 Likes

I think that sort of stuff is fun and interesting.

There’s a little controversy about how much quads do and I always like to try to stir it up.

2 Likes

Seems like a very niche controversy :joy:

1 Like

@loganator
I said I’d do it on this weekend and I did: 23:35- no breaks

4 Likes

Well it looks like I know what I’m doing next weekend…

1 Like

Although this makes me feel weak and unfit, I cannot bring myself to reattempt :grimacing:

1 Like

I’ll try to record my next attempt to make sure I earn the official unofficial record.

1 Like

1mile- 51:17

2 Likes