Luke Cummo's Prep For UFC 69

[quote]KO421 wrote:
CaliforniaLaw wrote:
Chris Colucci wrote:
KO421 wrote:
ewe I hope he gets knocked out, just so people don’t think this is the right way to prepare for a fight.

He’s 4-4 in the UFC, with all 4 loses having gone the distance. Not tapped out, not knocked out. What he’s doing, however unconventional, is working for him. A smidge of respect would be nice.

I guess you missed the memo. People who have neither fought nor trained a champion nonetheless know best how fighters should train. We are in the Era of the Internet Expert.

And you are the king of it[/quote]

There is only one tried and tested rule in training “Do what works for you.”

If something is unconventional and it works for that individual, let him go. Cummo is hardly your typical fighter. As Dana White said “He’s the nerd you would pick on, and then he’d kick your head to another universe.” The guy is obviously a product of his own training and who can knock the method?

[quote]Man O’ War wrote:
KO421 wrote:
CaliforniaLaw wrote:
Chris Colucci wrote:
KO421 wrote:
ewe I hope he gets knocked out, just so people don’t think this is the right way to prepare for a fight.

He’s 4-4 in the UFC, with all 4 loses having gone the distance. Not tapped out, not knocked out. What he’s doing, however unconventional, is working for him. A smidge of respect would be nice.

I guess you missed the memo. People who have neither fought nor trained a champion nonetheless know best how fighters should train. We are in the Era of the Internet Expert.

And you are the king of it

There is only one tried and tested rule in training “Do what works for you.”

If something is unconventional and it works for that individual, let him go. Cummo is hardly your typical fighter. As Dana White said “He’s the nerd you would pick on, and then he’d kick your head to another universe.” The guy is obviously a product of his own training and who can knock the method?
[/quote]

I agree with that, it probaly mainly helps him get in the right mindset for a fight and if it works well… get some chopsticks I guess

[quote]KO421 wrote:

The last thing we need is a bunch of punks wearing Tapout shirts picking stones out of their poo with chopsticks[/quote]

TOO LATE!

[quote]KO421 wrote:
I agree with that, it probaly mainly helps him get in the right mindset for a fight and if it works well… get some chopsticks I guess
[/quote]

Horses for courses. Whatever works for the lad is fine by me. I couldn’t see him being conventional in any way.

[quote]KO421 wrote:
CaliforniaLaw wrote:
Chris Colucci wrote:
KO421 wrote:

And you are the king of it[/quote]

Unlike you and a few other “experts,” I don’t second-guess and mock how people in the trenches train. You should actually start training. I think you’ll realize there’s more to it than what you read on the Internet.

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
KO421 wrote:
CaliforniaLaw wrote:
Chris Colucci wrote:
KO421 wrote:

Unlike you and a few other “experts,” I don’t second-guess and mock how people in the trenches train. You should actually start training. I think you’ll realize there’s more to it than what you read on the Internet.[/quote]

When did I ever call myself an expert? Never. I post every single one of my workouts on the forums, I don’t BS anything.

What have you proven on this website? Nothing, only that you think very highly of yourself and that you are an expert on everything. Why don’t YOU start training, Nah just complain about people deadlifting 400lbs and how people are only big if they are 200lbs which Is not exactly huge by the way if you are over 5’10

Have fun E-lifting

KO421 wrote:
CaliforniaLaw wrote:
Chris Colucci wrote:
KO421 wrote:

Unlike you and a few other “experts,” I don’t second-guess and mock how people in the trenches train. You should actually start training. I think you’ll realize there’s more to it than what you read on the Internet.[/quote]

If we were to follow your logic to the utmost exstent… We could never comment anything concerning any elite athletes. I don’t see why this should be it… :slight_smile:

[quote]Adamsson wrote:
CaliforniaLaw wrote:
Unlike you and a few other “experts,” I don’t second-guess and mock how people in the trenches train. You should actually start training. I think you’ll realize there’s more to it than what you read on the Internet.

If we were to follow your logic to the utmost exstent… We could never comment anything concerning any elite athletes. I don’t see why this should be it… :)[/quote]

That isn’t exactly true. What I think CaliLaw takes issue with, is people reading about how a pro fighter trains and then saying “Man oh man, if they did this instead if that, they’d be amazing.”

When I interviewed Matt Serra for this site, we talked about his training and conditioning. He does alot of circuits, bodyweight exercises, plyos and kettlebells. He doesn’t like doing “heavy powerlifting” as he called it. In the discussion that followed, somebody said something like “If he did power cleans, he’d be really good.” The same thing just happened here. Luke Cummo does what he does, but somebody says “That’s not how a fighter should be training.”

They’re both doing just fine with whatever they’ve been doing. Of course we’re free to jaw-flap here about what we’d do differently, it’s fun, it’s interesting, it’s part of the point of this site.

But unless you’re a coach of a fighter, or a fighter yourself, it’s kinda lame to say “They’re doing it wrong, they really should be training like this.” It’s the same way people say “Ronnie Coleman should use a full range of motion when he lifts.” Really? He should? You mean maybe he’d get better results if he did? :wink:

Chris Colucci wrote:
KO421 wrote:

I guess you missed the memo. People who have neither fought nor trained a champion nonetheless know best how fighters should train. We are in the Era of the Internet Expert.[/quote]

For those that missed said memo, I posted it below.

To Whom It May Concern:

CaliforniaLaw is a f*cking douche!

Signed,
Mgmt

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:
Adamsson wrote:
CaliforniaLaw wrote:

If we were to follow your logic to the utmost exstent… We could never comment anything concerning any elite athletes. I don’t see why this should be it… :slight_smile:

That isn’t exactly true. What I think CaliLaw takes issue with, is people reading about how a pro fighter trains and then saying “Man oh man, if they did this instead if that, they’d be amazing.”

When I interviewed Matt Serra for this site, we talked about his training and conditioning. He does alot of circuits, bodyweight exercises, plyos and kettlebells. He doesn’t like doing “heavy powerlifting” as he called it. In the discussion that followed, somebody said something like “If he did power cleans, he’d be really good.” The same thing just happened here. Luke Cummo does what he does, but somebody says “That’s not how a fighter should be training.”

They’re both doing just fine with whatever they’ve been doing. Of course we’re free to jaw-flap here about what we’d do differently, it’s fun, it’s interesting, it’s part of the point of this site.

But unless you’re a coach of a fighter, or a fighter yourself, it’s kinda lame to say “They’re doing it wrong, they really should be training like this.” It’s the same way people say “Ronnie Coleman should use a full range of motion when he lifts.” Really? He should? You mean maybe he’d get better results if he did? ;)[/quote]

I never said Luke Cummo should train diffrently I made a stupid joke about this catching on with all the new crop of MMA Wannabe’s and them going through their poo with chopsticks. This whole thread was kind of presented as such. I did say I hope he gets knocked out and that is a bit disrespectful, but oh well my bad. I don’t train MMA I just enjoy watching and following the sport so what do I know, I’m just commenting as a fan.

As a fan you are going to cheer for the fighter who’s style you most enjoy and can relate to. If you are a wrestler you will cheer for a wrestler, etc most likely.

as a short guy that is interested in powerlifting/strongman I hade my money on Sean Sherk instead of Ken Florian for example.

When did you interview Serra? I must have missed that I would like to read it

[quote]KO421 wrote:
I never said Luke Cummo should train diffrently I made a stupid joke about this catching on with all the new crop of MMA Wannabe’s and them going through their poo with chopsticks. This whole thread was kind of presented as such. I did say I hope he gets knocked out and that is a bit disrespectful, but oh well my bad. I don’t train MMA I just enjoy watching and following the sport so what do I know, I’m just commenting as a fan. [/quote]

Ah, I think I gotcha. I just understood the comment [quote]“just so people don’t think this is the right way to prepare for a fight”[/quote] to mean that he shouldn’t be training that way, which I disagree with because it’s gotten him where he is.

But for up-and-comers, I’d probably offer the same type of advice. Find what works for you, and work it. Odds are it will be something more “traditional” than CHEK training and gallstone cleanses and meditation, but not necessarily.

[quote]When did you interview Serra? I must have missed that I would like to read it
[/quote]
It was in January, in the Random Acts section:
http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1426363

I just finished TUF season 2 and luke was definitely a little odd. The iron chair was pretty cool to watch. We do that at ski practice but luke was totally calm during it. The ninja hood thing made me laugh too. He reminds me of diego, except less of a bitch.

anyway’s back to topic. Luke is a machine, love him or hate him, he gets bloody good results.

I still think he made the hyped up Joe Stevenson look ordinary in the finale.

His philosophies are based around ancient and old warrior like training. Mental and spiritual approaches. Mental and physical clarity is far superior to over engorged glycogen loaded beasts on adrenal and mental stimulants.

One is a fighter/warrior that lives the lifestyle, the other is a part-timer that switches on and off.

This is why people like Randy can continue well into their forties and dominate much younger supposedly thoroghbred stud fighters where as others, are continuously blowing out joints and dying in the their early 30’s.

did randy do a lot of the same stuff luke does or something? I’ve never heard of him doing that.

No I don’t believe he does but he does lead a very clean lifestyle based on a different type of eating principle than normal MMAers. Well, the last time I read something on his diet.

My comparison was mainly with the cleanliness of their diets and lifestyles as opposed to say some others who have to then get back into shape etc. Randy couldn’t do what he did if he didn’t lead a very clean lifestyle but a major part of his diet is eating green and staying as alkaline as possible. Something you can’t achieve by pounding steak after steak and other such acidic foods.

I don’t think the entire “live like a warrior” or “live like a samurai” stuff is the way to go for everyone. If it works for you? great, but “KISS” is a very nice principle. I think that Coutures great work ethic over many, many years in elite level sport is the reason why he can do as he does (and the inferior level of skill in the UFC hw division ofc)

[quote]humble wrote:
anyway’s back to topic. Luke is a machine, love him or hate him, he gets bloody good results.

I still think he made the hyped up Joe Stevenson look ordinary in the finale.

His philosophies are based around ancient and old warrior like training. Mental and spiritual approaches. Mental and physical clarity is far superior to over engorged glycogen loaded beasts on adrenal and mental stimulants.

One is a fighter/warrior that lives the lifestyle, the other is a part-timer that switches on and off.

This is why people like Randy can continue well into their forties and dominate much younger supposedly thoroghbred stud fighters where as others, are continuously blowing out joints and dying in the their early 30’s.

[/quote]

I always liked Luke.

He’s the Lawn-guyland Ninjer!