T Nation

Luigi's 5.3.1

All,

This will now be my third try at this log thing here at T-Nation. The others kind of withered and died due to my lack of commitment. I’m trying it again, for shits and giggles sake. Also having to put something in the internet universe will keep me honest.

My stats
Age - 30 (birthday yesterday)
Weight - 247 (fat mostly)
Best Lifts - Squat - 315, Bench 235 , Deadlift - 410, Military - Untested
One year goals - Squat - 365, Bench -265, Deadlift - 440, Military - 185

I picked one year out for two reasons. A. It gives me exactly one year to my birthday, and 31 sounds like a good age to be a shit load stronger, and B. I want to be strong and in kick ass shape for my wedding that will be roughly the same time.

As this is the strength training area of the site I won’t bore you with my fat loss portion, just know that I plan on doing so.

Tonight is night 1 on the 5.3.1. If anyone decides to read this I’ll be posting what I do later tonight.

These goals look like pretty easy to attain, especially in a year. Good luck with 5/3/1!

[quote]BlackLabel wrote:
These goals look like pretty easy to attain, especially in a year. Good luck with 5/3/1![/quote]

Thank you. I did that on purpose. I wanted to make the goals attainable. I learned the hard way that if you rush it you will miss your goals completely. Small gains are gains right?

11/3/09 Squat Training

Squat - 145x5, 165x5, 185x10(PR)
45 degree back raise BWx10,BWx10,BWx6
Decline bench sit up - BWx15x3
Elyptical machine - 34 minutes, level 1. 229 calories burned.

Things that suck -
a. My conditioning. 185x10 was easy, strength wise. I could have done 4-5 more. The only thing was I was winded as a mother. I know my work capacity will get back into place, but right now it sucks ass.

b. Lower back pumps - I don’t know why these hurts so much and why they last so long.

c. Cardio in any capacity is mind numbening awful.

[quote]luigisacs wrote:
BlackLabel wrote:
These goals look like pretty easy to attain, especially in a year. Good luck with 5/3/1!

Thank you. I did that on purpose. I wanted to make the goals attainable. I learned the hard way that if you rush it you will miss your goals completely. Small gains are gains right?[/quote]

Couldnt agree with you more.

And to you being winded on the squats, I found that once I got into my 2nd cycle the reps were a little easier on the lungs.

11/05/09 Bench Training

Bench Press - 115x5,135x5,150x12
Seated DB Overhead Press - 30x10,30x8,30x4
DB Row - 45x10,45x10,45x10
Pull Down - 105x10,105x9,100x6
Face Pull - 35x10,35x10,35x10
Elyptical Machine- 242 calories burned

Things that sucked
a.Shoulder Strength - Obviously 30lbs isn’t gigantic weight. Should totally be able to do more reps
b.Again my conditioning - Honestly was winded as fuck after the DB Rows. I don’t know why but I always get winded on these.
c. The Fucking Cardio!!!
d. The stupid bench I was using. This one dude who’s there every night for 3 hours totally bogarted the forza bench, so I had to use the “other”. This one was way too low to the ground and definitely no wide enough.

Things that rock.
a. Can’t think of any. Ho hum kinda night.

11/11/2009 Squat Training
worked up to 195x10 (pr)
Glute Ham Raise - BWx6,BWx4,BWx2
Glute Ham Raise Situps - 3x15@bw
34 minutes Elypitical - 289 calories burned

Things that sucked
a. Ad naseum the cardio
b. Glute ham raises. Not bad for the first time in ages, but I gotta do better

Things that rocked.
a. +10 lbs PR on the squat.
b. Being off for veterans day.
c. Veterans. . . .if you know one, pass by one, or are one. . .thank you.

Got the flu. No way was I able the train this week. Will try to go tomorrow morning. Not sure yet. If not I’m starting week 2 from scratch.

Yep, no energy today. Feel better, but couldn’t lift a sock. I’m just going to start my week two all over again.
Go Giants!