Lucid Dreaming

I just heard about this.

Anyone ever had one? Intentionally or otherwise.

I’m kind of interested to try it.

When my dreams get weird, then I sort of say in the back of my head, while dreaming that is , “No worries, this is just a dream,” but I never seem to go the extra step to actually taking over. It’s like I’m still just a little too into it to pull myself right out.

Frequently, in the sense that I am aware I am dreaming. Usually if I wakeup during the night and fall asleep back quickly. Never had the ability to control it in a way like flying or going through walls or changing my surroundings intentionally. There are guides though, I havent tried, and using imagination alot during the day helps with vivid dreams.

If it’s something you’re interested in it’s totally possible to actively work on, improve, and achieve. I have done it a number of times but only after keeping a dream journal for a number of weeks and having the intention of becoming lucid when I went to bed.

It’s incredibly cool when it happens.

Have had two in the last 2 months. It is an amazing feeling and the emotion of it permeates the whole rest of your day.
It’s even better when you not only realise you are dreaming and still asleep thus becoming partly concious in your dream state, but actually manage to give yourself a concious command to do something in your dream (mine was looking at my hands)
Then things get really interesting…

Well, I think I’ve had one last night…

It was one of the weirder dreams I’ve had. It involved a dwarf. He had this gloom around him. I was running from something and this imp of impending doom popped up from time to time in his black and white oldtimer volkswagen van. Felt like he was stalking me, with his pearcing, cunning little eyes. No doubt he had some ghoulish plans for me. Eventually, when stranded in some little italian or french village, this little scoundrel took me by surprise and cornered me with his van in a dead end street. He stepped out of the car and reached for the inside pocket of his jacket.

I tumbled and was quite certain he would pull out a gun. Instead it was a box. A wooden one at that. He handed it over to me with some mumbling sound - dwarf lingo isn’t my kind of language, you see - and drove away. I opened the box, obviously dumbfounded by this unexpected turn of events. Inside there was a pipe, the platinum pipe of eternal happiness. That’s when I woke up.

From the moment he cornered me in that street and I was certain that he would reach for a revolver, I felt like I was aware of the dream being a dream.

Caffeine+melatonin+Mg and Zn

It’ll help you out with it. There’s also specific techniques you can use. I’ve heard of people having 360 degree vision and flying who learn how to lucid dream.

I don’t even know man

[quote]lemony2j wrote:
I just heard about this.

I’m kind of interested to try it.[/quote]

Ever watch Inception?

I’ve never taken the next step to actually being in total control of my dreams. But I am normally aware that I’m dreaming. I’ve had quite a lot of dreams that could have been perceived as nightmares, but in my mind I know it’s not real and it just feels like a game.

[quote]Cheeky_Kea wrote:
Have had two in the last 2 months. It is an amazing feeling and the emotion of it permeates the whole rest of your day.
It’s even better when you not only realise you are dreaming and still asleep thus becoming partly concious in your dream state, but actually manage to give yourself a concious command to do something in your dream (mine was looking at my hands)
Then things get really interesting…[/quote]

Very interesting. I’d be a bit worried about the old hag thing though.

How did you do it?

[quote]cstratton2 wrote:

[quote]lemony2j wrote:
I just heard about this.

I’m kind of interested to try it.[/quote]

Ever watch Inception? [/quote]

Yeah a bit like that. Except they had a special machine thing

Step 1 is keeping a dream journal. This isn’t really about lucid dreaming, but remembering your dreams in detail. After all, whats the sense of lucid dreaming if you can’t really remember them.

Start out with a notebook by your bed with a pen. Upon waking, write down everything you can remember, it has to be first thing you do when you wake up. No lounging around, hitting snooze, you have to wake right up and start writing. I haven’t done a dream journal in quite a few years, but when I did it religiously, I could remember 3-4 dreams per night as if it was a day I had yesterday.

Once you can easily remember your dreams, you may be able to just realize you are dreaming and do whatever you like. You may actually be lucid dreaming already and simply not know it. My Lucid dreams were always like half realistic. Like I couldn’t just off and fly like superman. But I could run and jump, and with each successive landing and re-jump, I would get higher and stay aloft longer and longer until I was basically hulk jumping for miles and miles. Not technically flying, but I was always happy with it.

The power of your thoughts also becomes important. Just like visualization in sport, if your mind is wandering, your dreams will jump around and you may get frustrated. I firmly believe all our dreams are essentially “lucid” in the fact that our brain is controlling the experience, however, the stronger your mind is, you can control the path the dream takes, either by changing it or even keeping it right where it is in certain instances.

Some people like to use a physical “key” to remind them to ask themselves if they are dreaming or not. The most basic one is a watch, if you wear one, every time you look at it during the day, quickly ask yourself. Is this a dream? The reason for this is that many times we do things habitually in dreams that we do in our waking state. So you essentially program your sub-conscious to ask yourself if you are dreaming every time you look at your watch. When you are in a dream and look at your dream watch, you will ask yourself if you are dreaming and that can be your gateway into active dreaming.

V

I have not been able to control things in my dreams. But I am aware that I’m dreaming and have the ability to wake myself up out of the dream.

[quote]Cheeky_Kea wrote:
Then things get really interesting…[/quote]

I would say this is what comes closest to my experiences with lucid dreaming … I’ve often been able to control events within my dreams. It is pretty amazing.

However, I can’t really tell you HOW I do it, it’s been something I’ve done since I was a kid. Whenever I’m dreaming, I realize I’m dreaming and just kind of dictate what happens … Usually I can do whatever I want in it, but sometimes I can’t and that’s when wacky shit happens.

It is definitely something you can train. I have read numerous accounts of people developing it as a skill over time.

Personally I’ve only ever had one, purely by happenstance. Unfortunately it wasn’t sexy or anything :frowning:

I was in Medieval times in a castle when all the sudden we were besieged by a horde of fire breathing velociraptors, T-Rexes, and pterodactyls. I basically just had a Matrix moment where I realized I was in a dream and that there were no rules. So I started flying around shooting lasers out of my hands. I realized that I was invincible and couldn’t be harmed by them. Also I could like rip them apart with my bare hands. It was fun, but like I said I would have preferred a lucid dream about Halle Berry and Jessica Biel.

i think there may be other threads here on this.

a former popular member used to post alot about them iirc

Acid.
Try it once, its more than a drug. It’s an experience.
Only drug I would ever recommend to my children to try once.

Dreaming while your awake is awesome.

When I feel like working at it I can control my dreams to a degree. Learned to stop smacking into the earth anyway. Most of my dreams are unpleasent to say the least. It sucks seeing as it seems I dream constantly.

This happened to me twice last summer. Maybe you guys can explain what I had.

I’m sitting on my front porch just veggin’ out watching the world go by enjoying the sun and life in general. I go from one thought to another and for no reason I reach down for the remote control. In my mind I was actually trying to change the channel on life lol, twice. WTF?

[quote]bond james bond wrote:
When I feel like working at it I can control my dreams to a degree. Learned to stop smacking into the earth anyway. Most of my dreams are unpleasent to say the least. It sucks seeing as it seems I dream constantly.

This happened to me twice last summer. Maybe you guys can explain what I had.

I’m sitting on my front porch just veggin’ out watching the world go by enjoying the sun and life in general. I go from one thought to another and for no reason I reach down for the remote control. In my mind I was actually trying to change the channel on life lol, twice. WTF?
[/quote]
are you bored?