Lucid Dreaming

Alright, it sounds out there. I admit it. Some of the people who claim to have had these are crazy. But, these things are insane. I’ve had one in about a time span of a month, but that dream really rocked me. I mean, like shook me to the core. It was just so cool.

What I want to discuss is the following though;

Has anyone else had a lucid dream? If so, then what? (If you care to share)

Does anybody want to have a lucid dream, but hasn’t?

Anyone not want to have a lucid dream, and why?

Do you think there is more to lucid dreams then the apparent pleasure? Is it all in your head?

----Heres my lucid dream, say what you will-----
After hearing about this on tv, I googled some methods on how to induce one, and for more info on them. My lucid dream is a foggy recollection now, but here it is;

**Since I had been reading about lucid dreams, I knew that if I even had a suspicion that I was dreaming, I should pinch myself on the harm. If I feel it, then Im an idiot and Im not dreaming. If I didn’t, then I am dreaming. This triggered what I consider to be the lucid part of the drema.

I was on a rooftop in a city**. I saw one of the girls that I fancied up on the rooftop enjoying the view of a star filled clear sky. It was brisk out, and I felt the wind. I slowly walked over to her and we moved to the railing on top of the building.

Once there, I moved in and kissed her. We embraced in a hug, and then jumped off the building together, and proceeded to float around watching the stars and clouds.

Now, that was the dream. It seemed much longer then when I wrote it out, and Im sure there was much more detail that I could have recalled closer to the event. But, lucid dreams are sick like that.

When I knew I was “lucid” and could do whatever I wanted, flying was the first thing to came to mind (after sex). I knew I was dreaming, but I could feel everything as well as I can feel the keyboard I’m typing on now. And I could do anything in the dream if I had more practice I bet.

So, anybody have a comment?

Always have had it.

For so long that I can’t recollectwhen they started.

The test that I do is quite simple: while things are happening I try to fly if it works I know I am dreaming.

Works only when extreme things are happening during dreaming like a full blown nightmare

[quote]warlock wrote:
Always have had it.

For so long that I can’t recollectwhen they started.

The test that I do is quite simple: while things are happening I try to fly if it works I know I am dreaming.

Works only when extreme things are happening during dreaming like a full blown nightmare[/quote]

I actually haven’t had a nightmare since lucid dreaming. Being able to control what your doing seems to take away the fear for me.

I have had these before - you can literally smell, hear, taste, and feel things like you would in real life.

And, when you wake up (at least for me), you can remember exactly what something felt/tasted/smelled/heard like.

I have had these dreams on an inconsistent basis since a very young age. I still cannot control them completely, only somewhat.

I do not know how I developed whatever limited ability I have to dream like this. But, one thing I do know, is that when I was very young and just starting to lucid dream, I would drift in between sleeping/being awake. I’m pretty sure that I was somehow in the subconscious…

but who knows for sure

I just had one of these on Friday. I was taking a nap after being up until 4 am working on a group project and then getting about an hour and a half of sleep to wake up for classes. I was basically running on coffee since like 6am thursday morning and I was just so burnt out at this point.

The dream was so distinctly different than anything I’ve ever experienced. Just like how I felt so conscious throughout the whole thing, as if I was moving through it at my own will rather being taken for a ride. When I woke up from it I said I have to write this down, because it was just so out of this world.

There was a lot of pointless boring stuff but at one point I was smoking pot with Republican Representative Ron Paul and he was getting kind of gay and it was freaking me out so I had to get away from that shit.

I ran into like everyone I had seen in real life from the past day and a half (which is like 5 people because I was in a computer lab for most of the past few days). By the end of the whole thing it was like straight out of one of Tool’s music videos and starting to scare the shit out of me, the last half was also in Spanish for some reason.

But definitely just a completely different feeling throughout the whole dream than anything I’ve ever had.

[quote]Hacksaw2theneck wrote:
I just had one of these on Friday. I was taking a nap after being up until 4 am working on a group project and then getting about an hour and a half of sleep to wake up for classes. I was basically running on coffee since like 6am thursday morning and I was just so burnt out at this point.

The dream was so distinctly different than anything I’ve ever experienced. Just like how I felt so conscious throughout the whole thing, as if I was moving through it at my own will rather being taken for a ride. When I woke up from it I said I have to write this down, because it was just so out of this world.

There was a lot of pointless boring stuff but at one point I was smoking pot with Republican Representative Ron Paul and he was getting kind of gay and it was freaking me out so I had to get away from that shit.

I ran into like everyone I had seen in real life from the past day and a half (which is like 5 people because I was in a computer lab for most of the past few days). By the end of the whole thing it was like straight out of one of Tool’s music videos and starting to scare the shit out of me, the last half was also in Spanish for some reason.

But definitely just a completely different feeling throughout the whole dream than anything I’ve ever had.[/quote]

These things are sick right? Sorry that yours had to be a scarier version. Never heard of someone going lucid in spanish, do you speak it fluently?

I’ve had them but I always wake myself up when I start trying to control them.

I’ve actually been practicing methods for teaching yourself how to lucid dream recently. So far I’ve only really been successful once, but I’ve had a couple near lucid dreaming experiences.

In order for a dream to be fully lucid (at least by the definition that I have heard/read/ subscribe to) you must be:

1. Fully conscious of your dreaming body (meaning that, like hacksaw2theneck said above, you are actually moving throughout the dream world of your own volition, not just being led around).

2. Fully conscious of your physical body (meaning that you know that your physical body is still sleeping in your bed)

The experience that I had recently was only the second time in my life (that I can recall anyhow) that both requirements were met, and I was actually lucid dreaming.

It felt really wierd too, almost like I was just learning to walk again. Just getting out of bed and walking around my room was like being on a ship at sea, or one of those fun houses where you can’t keep your balance.

I had full sight, hearing, smell, touch and taste sensation as well as a feeling of balance. I was fully aware that my body was still sleeping in my bed, but that I was in control of my dream body.

Really trippy experience.

Unfortunately my alarm clock went off only a couple of minutes into the dream and woke me up out of it, so I didn’t have time to really explore or for anything profound to happen.

Hopefully next time will be more eventful.

Lol, that is awesome.
I have heard of lucid dreaming previously and tried it but failed. I think I am going to read that link and give it another shot.

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:
I’ve actually been practicing methods for teaching yourself how to lucid dream recently. So far I’ve only really been successful once, but I’ve had a couple near lucid dreaming experiences.

In order for a dream to be fully lucid (at least by the definition that I have heard/read/ subscribe to) you must be:

1. Fully conscious of your dreaming body (meaning that, like hacksaw2theneck said above, you are actually moving throughout the dream world of your own volition, not just being led around).

2. Fully conscious of your physical body (meaning that you know that your physical body is still sleeping in your bed)

The experience that I had recently was only the second time in my life (that I can recall anyhow) that both requirements were met, and I was actually lucid dreaming.

It felt really wierd too, almost like I was just learning to walk again. Just getting out of bed and walking around my room was like being on a ship at sea, or one of those fun houses where you can’t keep your balance.

I had full sight, hearing, smell, touch and taste sensation as well as a feeling of balance. I was fully aware that my body was still sleeping in my bed, but that I was in control of my dream body.

Unfortunately my alarm clock went off only a couple of minutes into the dream and woke me up out of it, so I didn’t have time to really explore or for anything profound to happen.

Hopefully next time will be more eventful.[/quote]

After reading this I’m not sure how lucid I really went. I mean, it seemed like I had full motor function. I need to start practicing again. You think you can pm me some of the stuff your doing?

[quote]RebornTN wrote:
Sentoguy wrote:

Hopefully next time will be more eventful.

After reading this I’m not sure how lucid I really went. I mean, it seemed like I had full motor function. I need to start practicing again. You think you can pm me some of the stuff your doing?[/quote]

Sure.

I’ve had it happen a few times, and I’ve had dreams that were so vivid that after the fact, I associated them with being lucid. It’s all very neat. Just be careful when talking about it, there are few things in this life more boring than listening to someone talk about a dream they had.

[quote]Malevolence wrote:
I’ve had it happen a few times, and I’ve had dreams that were so vivid that after the fact, I associated them with being lucid. It’s all very neat. Just be careful when talking about it, there are few things in this life more boring than listening to someone talk about a dream they had.[/quote]

That’s why I put the important stuff in the post in the beginning. I figured most people would skip over the part with my dream. Lmao xD

i know im dreaming around 70% of the time when i dream, and i can control them sometimes fully sometimes partially, I didnt even know there was a special name for this and apparently i have a gift, yay?

[quote]raptors wrote:
i know im dreaming around 70% of the time when i dream, and i can control them sometimes fully sometimes partially, I didnt even know there was a special name for this and apparently i have a gift, yay?[/quote]

Read up on it. Anyone can do it, but you need to use techniques apparently to get the full affect.

I have had a few.
If only i could control it, wet dreams here i come :stuck_out_tongue:

Flying into the playboy mansion sounds good.

[quote]RebornTN wrote:

These things are sick right? Sorry that yours had to be a scarier version. Never heard of someone going lucid in spanish, do you speak it fluently?[/quote]

I took a few years of it in high school but that was years ago but I was just below conversational with it at that point, so in the dream I was struggling to respond and had to pause to try and remember what the words were, and that was one of the really lucid parts of it as i attempted to form what I was saying.

Of course what I was hearing was only as complicated as I could say.

Like I said a lot of the events in the dream were related to the past few days and on Thursday I remember watching the new episode of It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia and there was lot of Spanish in that episode and I was surprised by how much I still remembered after not really using it for so long.

I used to be real into this in college. I was doing a bunch of hallucinogens and meditating alot at the time.

I could induce it probably 50% of the time I tried. I was most successful during early afternoon naps.

A good book on it is The Tibetan Yogas of Dream and Sleep by Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche. He gives a bunch of techniques to induce them, progressions really related to buddhisms and advancing through the chakras and how falling asleep in a certain posture and focusing on a certain chakra can influence the nature of the dream (nightmare, sexual, etc.)

He gives some things to do like fly, turn yourself into a giant, make copies of yourself etc.

The overall goal was to get yourself into a clearlight sleep, not dreaming just totally asleep, but aware you are totally asleep. They said when you could do that, you have reached an advanced level of meditation and spiritual practice.

Now that this post came up I am going to read it again.

I never got far into the progressions, I was just glad I could get lucid regularly. I could never control them that great either. I got decent at flying around, whenever I tried to get laid in my dreams things got weird though.

I ended up just kinda going into a meditation state when I realized I was dreaming. Putting my dreamself into a meditative posture and closing my dream eyes. I could hold the lucidity and not wake up, and got into some pretty weird ‘states of being’ for lack of another word.

Hacksaw2theneck has the greatest fucking avatar in the history of avatars.

I’ve done this. There was a giant thread at bb.com about it. It can be pretty tight shit. Although most people end up flying and stuff instead of the obvious fucking 10 girls at once.