T Nation

Lowery: Questions & Recipes

Hi All,
Tonight I’m going to post a few recipes that were originally part of a book chapter that I was working on for Tim Patterson and TC.

If you’ve got good ones of your own, I’d love to see them!

Of course, other questions are welcome, too.

Hey Lonnie I was wondering what you would recommend to me being just under 2 weeks from a BB show. I am 5’9" 180 with about 5%BF right now. I am eating about 1800kcal with no more than 100g of carbs a day. Carbs are taken in breakfast and PWO in the from of oats, sweet potato, little strawberries. What is your view on creatine, shakes, cottage cheese, protein powders like Low-Carb Grow! this close to a show? What would you recommend to me for the next 10 days? I would love your input because I respect and value your theories. Thanks

Let’s start with a simple, rather obvious alternative to AM oatmeal…

Low-fat Flax & Berry Bran Pancakes (with Eggs)
1/2 cup low-fat baking mix
1/4 cup oat bran
2 tbsp milled flax
~1 cup water (depends on consistency desired) and 1/4 cup skim milk
1 scoop vanilla protein powder if desired (~20g protein) OR
1 egg white
1/2 cup frozen berries of choice
Fat-free cooking spray as needed
MAKES TWO MEALS OF: Kcal: 306, PRO: 22g, CHO: 40g (5.5g are fiber), FAT: 6.5g (includes omega-3 from flax).

Preparation: Mix dry ingredients. Add skim milk and water to desired consistency. Add the egg white to the batter; mix. Add berries to batter and pour. Fry more than you will eat for breakfast and consume the remainder as mid-morning snack(s). Hint: An “omega-3 egg” is an alternative to the egg white.

Mike,
Thanks for the kind words.

First: DO NOT START ACTING ALL FREAKY! :wink: I’m serious. So many guys, including me in the past, have done drastic things outside of their original game plan to get “just a little fuller or tighter”… and it results in physique disaster. This late in the game a competitor’s fat loss work is pretty much DONE and he should consider thinking about mild carb loading (potentially with creatine during the first day or two) and well-timed water balance.

For people in your situation (again, been there!) I usually suggest setting up a calendar and looking at it in reverse (that is, a 14-day countdown). The water balance issue will be a big deal for many guys, especially if they decide to sodium “load” (soup, salty foods is enough) early in the week preceding their competition, then restrict nearly all sodium during the final 24-72 hours. (Highly variable aldosterone responses occur in response to sodium restriction and the added food-source potassium intake).

I myself avoided milk the final few weeks out of paranoia and tradition since some gurus insist it induces cosmetic smoothness. Biologically I see little basis for this but I thought “hmmm, better safe than sorry”

Your specific individual needs are too broad to get into here, though, so I hope this general information is food for thought!

[quote]mike hanley wrote:
Hey Lonnie I was wondering what you would recommend to me being just under 2 weeks from a BB show. I am 5’9" 180 with about 5%BF right now. I am eating about 1800kcal with no more than 100g of carbs a day. Carbs are taken in breakfast and PWO in the from of oats, sweet potato, little strawberries. What is your view on creatine, shakes, cottage cheese, protein powders like low carb grow this close to a show? What would you recommend to me for the next 10 days? I would love your input because I respect and value your theories. Thanks[/quote]

LL optimal time between post workout carbs and post workout meal? I usually have a bowl of cereal after my workout then about a half hour later have a full meal? Should i wait longer?

Here’s another one that’s good for “dieters” and portable enough to take some to work as “second breakfast”…

Low-fat Breakfast Burritos
3 egg whites
1 whole omega-3 type egg
1 whole-wheat or flax-based tortilla
2 Tbsp salsa
2 Tbsp. low-fat sharp cheddar or fat-free cheddar cheese

Kcal: 243, PRO: 23g CHO: 24g (2g are fiber) FAT: 7g

Preparation: Fry the eggs in fat-free cooking spray, place on a whole wheat tortilla, add salsa and cheese, fold up bottom, then sides. Hint: don’t over-stuff the burrito; it’s a common mistake that makes it tear - and thus less portable. Eat excess eggs as a side if need be. Eat an apple, banana, or orange as a “side dish”, adding about: 100 kcal, 0.3g protein, 25g carbs (3 are fiber), 0g fat each.

bigpump23,
Take a look at your whole day’s kcal and macronutrient intake when deciding how much time can go between meals. (That is, six meals of 500 kcal each would = about 2.5 hours apart.) Some sugary cereal shortly after exercise is a good idea for many athletes… and the follow-up larger meal could be anywhere from 30-90 minutes after that, as this is all within a post-training “metabolic window”.

After this for practicality’s sake, we’re officially into our planned “non-exercise” meals, even if time-wise, we’re still within a (fading) metabolically advantageous post-workout window.

Hi LL,

What do you think of the anabolic diet for mass? Any comments?

bmf

After sprints would you recommend Surge or a complex carb/protein meal? My goal is to slowly cut…

Also, if I am eating P + F for dinner, is a glass of wine with my steak going to ruin the benefits of the p + f…

Thanks

i want to know, if i’m “insulin sensitive”(that means after i eat carbs, i’ll become low-blood-sugar level very fast), what kind of diet should i use to lose fat?

low-carb/high-fat (eg.t-drawg diet)?

or

high-carb/low-fat?

(protein consumption will be 1g/lb of bodyweight as you recommend always)

thanks for your time

It seems like everyone is constantly in a bulk or cut phase… is there ever a time for a maintenance but clean diet?

here is a favorite meal…less of a recipe more of a preparation

Steak bbq’d with olive oil served with A1 sauce

Spinach salad with bell peppers, carrots, broccoli, and avocado with an olive oil and vinegar dressing.

Steamed Artichoke (45 minutes in a steamer) served with organic healthy fat mayonnaise

bmf_inc,
As I recall, the Anabolic Diet is a low-carb, cyclically ketogenic diet, right?

If I’m remembering this properly (so many diets and systems and plans, oh my!)… some aspects of it have merit, especially for those with a family history of diabetes or glucose intolereance - or some other valid reason to indicate they’re insulin resistant to some extent.

Downsides include: jonesing for carbs by mid-week and smacking one’s grandma whilst in a carb-deprived rage (mostly joking here).

Okay, the Nutrition Forum looks a bit slow tonight so, final post tonight… a dinner recipe:

Low-carb Chicken, Beef, Veggie Fajitas
1 skinless, boneless chicken breast
1 Eye-of-round steak
1 sliced red pepper (or 1/2 green, 1/2 red)
1/2 sliced onion
1 large lettuce leaf or low-carb tortilla (optional)
1/4 cup low-fat cheddar
2 Tbsp. olive oil
MAKES TWO SERVINGS OF: kcal: 377, PRO:37.5g, CHO: 9g (5g are fiber), FAT: 23.5g

Preparation: Fry scissor-cut strips of chicken and beef in Pam just until no longer pink. Meanwhile microwave the peppers and onions in very little water until slightly soft; add to the pan. Optionally, these can be eaten wrapped with low-carb fajita bread/ tortillas or large leaves of romaine lettuce. Note: Don’t over-rely on gluten-based low-carb breads, as low-grade gluten intolerance may be more common than once thought.

Th, th, tha, that’s all folks!

I’m almost to my goal weight and starting to think about my next training phase. Honestly, whenever I’ve worked out/dieted in the past, it was always focused on losing weight. Now that I’m finally serious about my nutrition and fitness and about to reach my goal weight, I’m not sure what to do!

I want to focus on getting stronger and being able to lift more and more weight. I also want to focus more on flexibility, so MR’s article is very timely for me. However, I don’t really want to “eat big to get big” the way the guys do. Don’t get me wrong, I know I’m not going to get huge and I’m all for some quality muscle and definition - I’m just not sure how to eat to best support my new goals. I’m thinking that I will need to find a “maintenance” calorie range, while continuing to eat clean, healthy foods. Just wondering your thoughts… Thanks for all your feedback so far!

usdig,
Okay, VERY last post…
Keep in mind that alcohol will kick up one’s blood triglycerides, but in the evening, this is happening to some extent anyway, expecially after a P+F PM meal. It’s not a bad time if you choose to drink a glass at all.

Neither bulk nor cut? MOST of the time! Although goals are important, there should be blocks of time during every year when you simply enjoy the food and the lifting!

I mentioned this recently elsewhere, but try a SEARCH for “Diet Planning for the Long Haul”.

Good night, all.

[quote]usdsig wrote:
It seems like everyone is constantly in a bulk or cut phase… is there ever a time for a maintenance but clean diet?[/quote]

Hey thanks for the PM. I just got back to the computer and those pics are f—ing awesome. Total Motivation. I just sent you a PM back and would love your input. I don’t want to interrupt the recipe thread so whenever you could get back to me is good, I forgot to ask about cardio the last two weeks. How much? Twice a day? How many minutes? Incline walking only? Just curious. Thanks for the inspiration

ok a recipe I did last night that came from my head - I was constrained by the rather bizarre assortment of food stuffs I had in my fridge.

Cod with a cheesey, herby, garlicy, nutty topping, (Catchy name eh? I may sell the rights to that one to Delia).

Mix up in a jug the following:
2 cloves crushed garlic
some chopped fresh basil
some olive oil
some hard grated goats cheese
some grated cheddar
some sunflower seeds or pine kernels
some black pepper
some lemon juice

Meanwhile part bake some cod, haddock or other white chunky fish.

Take out after about 15 mins and spread the mixture on top of the fish. Pat down.

You may want to wrap in foil, but I didn’t.

10-15 mins later I had a meal that actually impressed my girlfriend, (14 years into the relationship and this is probably a first). Seriously, I was quite proud of it…

Serve with a salad. Or some chips and a 4 pack of cheap lager if you want.

Hey there,

Two quick questions:

1. I would like to hear your take on the “No more than 3 egg yolks a week because of too much cholesterol” statement that is being thrown around by nutritionists these days.

2. What do you know about the effects of Vitamin C post-workout?

Thanks much!

As someone whose girlfriend is a nutritional epidemiologist, she says that cholesterol warnings have been overblown. Cholesterol has more to do with genetics than diet. If you don’t have genetically high cholesterol, it’s probably not something you need to worry about. An egg or two a day isn’t going to kill you.