Lowery Online Tonight 5-31-05

rock on.

[quote]Get Lifted wrote:
Increased intake of foods containing zeaxanthin may be effective in preventing AMD because the macula accumulates zeaxanthin and lutein, oxygenated carotenoids with antioxidant and blue light-absorbing properties. Lycium barbarum L. is a small red berry known as Fructus lycii and wolfberry in the West…

The first one was in vitro but the one you gave is much better.

-Get Lifted[/quote]

Thanks Lonman. These Prime Time discusses are fantastic.

dkells1,
There’s a tough one. I’m beginning to think there are fewer and fewer truly healthful sources of EPA and DHA in whole foods (but my understanding is that canned salmon is a lesser problem.) The press is publicizing concerns over PCBs in farm raised salmon but we typically have a mercury concern in wild salmon (and it’s worse in larger predatory fish like swordfish, who accumulate the toxins from eating littler fish). Essentially our waters are polluted and we have to seek out the “lesser of two evils” at times.

For now we have little recourse but to trust the government (!), not overconsume any one food and hope the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)and related “contamination police” employ adequate limits. I know Green Peace offers a fairly cheap mercury screen from a mailed-in hair sample (arguably not a great type of test) to push the EPA toward stricter standards.

As grown men we tend to have less overall risk than childbearing women and children from heavy metals - if that’s comforting at all.

Dr. Lowery,

Besides Salmon, what other fish are high in omega-3 fatty acids?

Thank you for your time!

Alright, home skillets*, I’m out of here. Thanks for the discussion.

Would magnesium have any impact on sleep and recovery?

What is the appropriate dosage?

Dr.Lowery,
I have a contest in 7 weeks. That means I have less than six total weeks of dieting and cardio to go.

My question is this: A while back you made mention of doing cardio AFTER your last meal of the day, in order to really shed some fat along with some possible muscle loss. It seems you were also including doing cardio on an empty stomach in the AM as well. Would this be too much? I am willing to take some muscle loss in order to come in really ripped and ready!

Your thoughts would be much appreciated!
Thanks!

Donnie…

bump