T Nation

Lowering the Bar Slowly?

Does it matter on benching or squatting ?

Depends on who you are and the style you use. Also lowering the bar slow is useless if you loading the bar while your doing it.

For powerlifting, the slower you get into the hole in the squat, the longer you give the refs to judge whether you got deep enough. Benefit of the doubt should go to the lifter, so if you can get down quicker that creates more doubt. This was advice I received today during the USAPL coaching course from an IPF international championship certified ref.

Depends on whether or not you need to do that to create the appropriate tightness and get yourself into position. Go as slow as you need to basically.

[quote]csulli wrote:
Depends on whether or not you need to do that to create the appropriate tightness and get yourself into position. Go as slow as you need to basically.[/quote]

exactly. Keep tightness all during the descent. But there is no point in going as slow as possible. So i´d say do it as fast as possible whilst keeping tight and controle.

[quote]fat_powerlifter wrote:

[quote]csulli wrote:
Depends on whether or not you need to do that to create the appropriate tightness and get yourself into position. Go as slow as you need to basically.[/quote]

exactly. Keep tightness all during the descent. But there is no point in going as slow as possible. So i�´d say do it as fast as possible whilst keeping tight and controle.[/quote]

There is a difference between lowering as slow as possible and proper loading.

[quote]Ecchastang wrote:
For powerlifting, the slower you get into the hole in the squat, the longer you give the refs to judge whether you got deep enough. Benefit of the doubt should go to the lifter, so if you can get down quicker that creates more doubt. This was advice I received today during the USAPL coaching course from an IPF international championship certified ref. [/quote]

Interesting point. I think, though, that this has a greater application for single-ply equipped squatting in the IPF, since the technique used with briefs often makes it more difficult to hit depth. I notice single-ply IPF lifters really decelerating into the hole and almost pausing at parallel, although this of course also has to do with the suits.

I think that most people who drop down into the hole olympic-style tend to make it well past parallel in the first place. At least that’s my take on it.