T Nation

Lowering Caloric Intake During Bulk

I'm currently on a bulk but want to put on a little less fat so I was wondering what should I take off my diet (my caloric surplus is currently too high)

Here's what I eat

Training days

Meal 1 : 8egg white + 250ml orange juice + 2 packet of oatmeal + 250ml milk

Meal 2 (pre workout shake): 25g prot, 50g malto, 10g bcaa

Meal 3 (post workout shake): 50g prot, 50g malto, 10g creatine

Meal 4 (post workout meal): 200g chicken, 1 cup brown rice, 85g green veggies

Meal 5 : 50g prot + natural pb + olive oil

Meal 6 : 200g red meat + 5g fish oil + 75g almonds

Meal 7 : 25g caseine 25g whey, natural pb + olive oil + 5g fish oil

Off days

Meal 1 : 8egg white + 250ml orange juice + 2 packet of oatmeal + 250ml milk

Meal 2 : 50g prot + fruits

Meal 3 : 200g chicken, 1 cup brown rice, 85g green veggies

Meal 4 : 50g prot, natural pb, olive oil

Meal 5 : 5eggs + 50g almonds + 5g fish oil

Meal 6 : 200g red meat + 50g almonds + green veggies

Meal 7 : 25g caseine 25g whey, natural pb + olive oil + 5g fish oil

*The natural pb is usually 3 servings (270calories)
**Olive oil is usually ~10-15ml (100-150calories)
***Sometimes the 5eggs + almonds will be replaced by another shake + natural pb + canola oil

My toughts were to take off olive oil and cut down on the natural pb, but if anyone have any other suggestions, feel free to share !

thx

a) If it was me, I’d cut the fat down

b)and/or replace equal portions of carbs with protein in something like your liquid meals. Pre/post drop 25g malto and add 25g protein or something like that.

c)I don’t think you need all that fat before bed either.

when lowering caloric intake, you should generally make the cut from either fat or carbs, as cutting protein is generally not a good idea from a body comp perspective.

The easiest way would be to replace some calorie dense foods with less caloricly dense foods (e.g. swap out orange juice for an orange) and to cut back on the nuts and olive oil a little, that alone will save you a few hundred calories.

That being said, it’s not such a good idea to cut fat too low (below about 20% of total calories), as food begins to taste like cardboard at that point.

I’d lower the amount of maltodextrine, like swole said. Bring it down to 50 grams total.

Loose the rice in the third meal on off days and replace with fat and/or more veggies.

Loose juice, get the orange

Possibly have beans instead of rice (lower gl)

Lower portions of food the closer you get to bed.

Also, not sure if you want to have whey right before bed. It does create a bit of an insuligenic response. That’s all I got.

[quote]Trenchant wrote:
Loose the rice in the third meal on off days and replace with fat and/or more veggies.
[/quote]

How exactly will replacing carb calories with fat calories help fat loss?

And keep the shake. It’s rarely advisable to cut back on ones protein intake. The insulin response doesn’t make an ounce of difference.