T Nation

'Lowering 100lb+ Max Makes You a Jackass'

I read the links on eccentric stuff given to me by a contributor
One comment in the Article said lowering 100lb more than 1RMAX in the bench press makes you a jackass. Surely that only applies if you only interested in your 1RepMax alone.

There is a lot of potential to improve one's eccentric strength which will give you more muscle and more strength although not necessarily a higher bench press. I guess he was referring to diminishing returns but surely improving your eccentric necessitates using more than 90-110 1 Rep Max.

The important thing is to control the weight going down, meaning you need to force greater stabilization to handle that weight. If you use 100lbs + and drop the weight down, it might not be that beneficial. Adding significantly more weight doesn’t matter too much. The main focus is that you’re training those muscles, not necessarily how much of an overload you’re using.

What’s the point of doing 130% if 110% allows more muscle to be trained effectively? If 130% really is more effective based on your experience, then ignore what others say.

Thanks for the input . The Articles were quite extensive too best stuff on the web. There was a German scientist who has written a lot on eccentrics too but I can’t remember his name,

I am actually quite weak at eccentric. I am using 100-110%. If I could use more (a lot of people will be able to ) I would.

I use 130-140kg and max 130kg. Loads of 120kg /130kg work quite well at the moment but I am hoping to improve a lot at them. The stupid Powerrack at the gym is set too close to the wall, so I can’t get a hand-off. I take about 2-3seconds to lower 140kg.

The articles even suggest using 60-80% for 8-10sec lowerings. I might give that a go too.
They worked a lot better once half the reps from 20 to 10 overall reps.
The rest takes ages so it annoys people waiting for the rack.

It’ll be good to here if you make any progress.

Bodybuilder Leroy Colbert discussing eccentric overloads on the bench press.

Technically he’s talking about heavy supports, not eccentrics. Things like overloaded squat walkouts can be useful for similar reasons.

I would agree that if your doing eccentric lowering with 100 lb more than your 1rm, you are indeed a jackass.

I seem to be getting good results with the eccentrics.
I got a 4 rep Max PR today, and pressed my 1rep max 130kg a lot faster and easier than before. Unforunately I missed 140kg.
Also I managed to lower slowly under control 160kg (just for one rep).
I used 140kg for the eccentrics today ,6 reps. I seemed to have made the gains using mainly 100% 1 rep max for the eccentrics. So I haven’t needed to go heavier for gains in eccentric strength.

[quote]Alrightmiami19c wrote:
I would agree that if your doing eccentric lowering with 100 lb more than your 1rm, you are indeed a jackass.[/quote]
Also more prone to injuries.
For overload on bench i use 3 board press, you can use even 5 board if you wanna.

http://libres.uncg.edu/ir/asu/f/Triplett_Travis_2002_Effects_of_Increased.pdf

Cheers guys , I’ll stick to the 90-110% for gains in eccentric strength .

I gained another 5kg on my bench this week. 135kg . I missed 140kg.
Stuck to lowering 145 kg slowly 6 seconds . I did some lifts with 160kg . Barely managed to raise 170kg off the rack and put it back , so I haven’t gained any eccentric strength . That said the 140-145-150kg were a lot easier to handle.

I do have a question. I have hard time controlling the weight as it reaches the pins/chest . It clatters down a bit. Is there an exercise I can do to improve this.

Can’t complain have good results from eccentric lifting.

[quote]decimation wrote:
I gained another 5kg on my bench this week. 135kg . I missed 140kg.
Stuck to lowering 145 kg slowly 6 seconds . I did some lifts with 160kg . Barely managed to raise 170kg off the rack and put it back , so I haven’t gained any eccentric strength . That said the 140-145-150kg were a lot easier to handle.

I do have a question. I have hard time controlling the weight as it reaches the pins/chest . It clatters down a bit. Is there an exercise I can do to improve this.

Can’t complain have good results from eccentric lifting. [/quote]

Get a stronger back and arms. If you’re losing tightness at the bottom half while lowering it’s likely due to poor setup or just being too weak to hold the position ( you are overloading the movement afterall).

Thanks for the responses. I made 145kg in this next few weeks. I think it is finding where your weakness are and working on them can bring up your strength fairly quickly.