Lower T to Reduce Prison Violence

[quote]Aussie Davo wrote:

Got any studies that show this association?[/quote]

Violent behavior is learned, and emulated. Change their environments so they are less likely to resort to violent behavior just to get by.[/quote]

Yes and I’m arguing there are biological factors that contribute to this behavior.

It’s not a solution at all, it costs money to give them drugs, and there is no solid evidence to suggest those drugs will lower violent behavior. And if that is the goal, why try to lower their testosterone, which probably won’t have much of a notable outcome at all? Why not just pump them full of sedatives?

Because that would be cruel and unusual punishment?
[/quote]

Feeding them a low T diet + taking away their weights isn’t anywhere near the realm or cruel and unusual.

As I said, I’m not sure if this will have any effect, but diet manipulation has shown to have real effects on people’s moods and anger levels, so why not at least try and apply it to the prison system?

I dont give a fuck what they get fed, or if they all kill each other. Just make it happen as cheap as possible for the people who follow the law .

Leave them in there, feed them stir-fried shit, let them kill each other, most of them deserve it.

[quote]therajraj wrote:

Got any studies that show this association?[/quote]

Violent behavior is learned, and emulated. Change their environments so they are less likely to resort to violent behavior just to get by.[/quote]

Yes and I’m arguing there are biological factors that contribute to this behavior.

It’s not a solution at all, it costs money to give them drugs, and there is no solid evidence to suggest those drugs will lower violent behavior. And if that is the goal, why try to lower their testosterone, which probably won’t have much of a notable outcome at all? Why not just pump them full of sedatives?

Because that would be cruel and unusual punishment?
[/quote]

Feeding them a low T diet + taking away their weights isn’t anywhere near the realm or cruel and unusual.

As I said, I’m not sure if this will have any effect, but diet manipulation has shown to have real effects on people’s moods and anger levels, so why not at least try and apply it to the prison system?[/quote]

I guess you could, but i just don’t see the purpose really. I’d rather see attention focused on the root cause of the problem, not a probably minor contributory factor.

Besides as it stands, I think you’ll find most prison food is about as anti-positive hormone function as you can get. Cheap, highly processed, high carb and high fat food thats exposed to a lot of BPA.

I’m not sure what your proposing they do diet wise that isn’t already done?

As for taking away their weights, that would just remove an outlet for aggression, I don’t think thats a good move at all. I’m making an assumption here, but I dare say the prisons with boxing programs probably have less violent attacks than the ones where prisoners have no or limited activity.

EDIT: oh and as an aside, I don’t think dietary soy has ever been shown to actual be harmful to testosterone production outside of this weird soy boogeyman and estrogen paranoia this forum has.

But soy would be a cheaper protein than meat.

I like the idea of having organized fights. If there is beef between people, settle it in a ring with no weapons, one on one.

[quote]therajraj wrote:
Saw this article and thought: Could this work to help (somewhat) stem the tide of prison violence? Lower prisoner’s T levels through diet

Arizona’s Sheriff Joe orders jails to stop serving meat to save money

The sheriff of Maricopa County, Arizona, has ordered his jails to stop serving meat to inmates in a move he says is meant to cut costs.

Joe Arpaio, who has sparked controversy in the past for his treatment of inmates, claims the change will save $100,000 annually.

The jails will be replacing meat with soy, Arpaio says.

I await to hear the opinion of our resident degenerate Mr. Angry Chicken ;)[/quote]

Resident degenerate checking in!

If it will save tax payers money, I’m all for it. It won’t do shit to curb inmate violence though. It’ll be just one more thing to get on the black market in there. One more thing a man will stab another man through the neck for. Yard bird tasted like shit anyway.

I dont like how prisoners can still get huge whilst serving time. Then the guards and public wonder why they need a lot of protection from them.

If they were smaller they’d be less of a handful and this can mean a big difference. No meat for ya!

[quote]Aggv wrote:
I like the idea of having organized fights. If there is beef between people, settle it in a ring with no weapons, one on one. [/quote]

I’m for that.

Their environment has more to do with their hostility than their hormones does.
[/quote]

^^ In prison, violence (or the perceived capacity to commit it) is currency and the only surefire way to gain/maintain respect from others.

Avoiding violence, on the other hand, is considered ‘weakness’ and marks one as target for exploitation.

I know a few peops who went in and said some of them were a joke here like world class swimming pools and gyms. Others I knew actually died in there. I know one dude who works in one havn’t had a chance to hear any horror stories as of yet from him. Has anyone watched the documentary on Russia’s most dangerous prison’s? They have the dudes transported hands behind their backs head facing the ground and are behind multiple steel doors in their cells. They only see daylight an hour a day if they behave. Insane safety but they have low instances of guards getting hurt in there I believe, which I think should be of the biggest concern. I recommend it for sure. Angry chicken you ate a poor little yard bird that’s og!