Lower Reps Easier Than Higher Reps

I find higher reps to be harder than lower reps

For example my 10 rep max is harder than my 5 rep
Max when it more weight

Just feels smother and easier

Anyone else

1 Like

I was that way until I improved my conditioning.

5 Likes

So it’s normal say for example 405 for 5 reps to feel easier than 315 for 10 reps?

No, I wouldn’t call that normal. But it happens

I find high rep sets just feel worse because they take longer. Hitting a high percentage squat single sucks for 10 seconds… but hitting 20 rep squats sucks for two minutes.

2 Likes

How do you know you’re not putting more into the 10RM than the 5RM?

1 Like

Try 40 rep for example I used to always do light front squats my 35-40 rep max

And then switched to doing my 5,3 rep max and it was way easier the weight just felt lighter

Even though there was 130 plus pounds more weight

What do u mean putting more?

I not one for endurance either but it can be trained. Front squats are hard for higher reps as you don’t really get a break from the isometric contractions. You tensing for a long time . It is very hard. Same with back squats but less so .

In your example, you’ve done 3150lbs. of volume with the lighter weight vs. 2025 lbs. with the heavier weight.

That’s significant.

1 Like

I don’t get volume?

315 for 10 is harder than 405 for 5?

1000 burpees is a shit ton harder than 100

However first time I done 500 was the toughest by far

This thread is fucking bonkers

1 Like

It’s a measure of total weight moved or work done. Like when we write out 3 sets of 10 at 220 lbs, it translates to 3x10 @ 220 lbs.

So to calculate total volume of the given sets, reps, and weight you multiply it out

3x10x220= 6600 lbs.

It’s a bit of a guideline, and what people are alluding to when they discuss high volume vs. low volume, the volume/load relationships and stuff.

1 Like

I beg your pardon. What is this? Are you serious? Trolling alert?

If you want results you need to put some effort to it. You should not avoid either high rep or time under tension strategies. This reminds me a bit about the phoneabusing trainees, who perform one set while I get five sets.

When I was a newbie too many years ago, I got stronger by keeping the reps low, but paid the price in not being able to rep past eight reps due to lack of tolerance/conditioning. Over time my progress came to a halt. Not so good in hindsight.

2 Likes

40RM front squats? Why? That’s a completely different animal comparing heavy/low-rep to super-high rep. Stresses the body completely differently, fatigues muscle groups differently, the whole nine.

But yeah, you’re looking at bearcrawling 10 feet on thumbtacks vs stepping on a nail.

This is a mentality issue as well. I also prefer to do less of a hard thing than more of an easier. Especially with squats or dead’s. Heavy doubles over lighter widowmakers any day.

1 Like

Wtf im trolling because I prefer lower reps than higher weight??

And I just told i do higher reps but I hate it! And was wondering why more weight would feel lighter

And out more efforts ur a acting like I said I want to switch to a smith machine

All I said was I like low reps better than high reps and was wondering how it would be possible for that to happen(feel easier)

And how is lifting a heavier weight for 5 reps not gonna produce just as good or better results than a 10 rep max

I suppose it depends on what you mean by harder…

For a set to failure, as many reps as possible: 10-RM effort leaves me more winded than a 5-RM, 20-RM would be even worse. It is because you are doing more mechanical work overall: you drop the weight a little and then do twice or 4 times as many reps.

Maybe you could lift more on your 5RM than you think you can and you could push the limit more.

1 Like

Lower reps are definitely easier than higher reps in the sense that one time on vacation I decided to just do bodyweight squats until failure and my will failed before my quads.

1 Like