T Nation

Lower/Push/Pull 5 Days a Week

Hello, i’m soon going out of a cut and are looking for a new way of splitting my body up and one split that caught my eye is the strenght/hypertrophy Lower/push/pull 5 days a week because it would allow me to work each muscle with a little more volume then the typical upper/lower and legs/back/biceps - Chest/delts/triceps 4 days a week that i’m used to.

I have been working out for a little over 4 years (natural) and i’m 25 years old and my work is not stressing my body in any way so when it comes to recovery i think i’ll be fine.
Here is the routine and the way i thought i’ll approach it if i choose to try it for 4-5 months.

I would try RPT (reverse pyramid training) and for you who dont know what that is google RPT Randy Herring, he has an article on BB.com about it.

The way it works is that the first set will be the heaviest one and the one i will always try to progress in so lets take squat as an example, i will start with a weight i exactly can handle 4 reps with and when i with time can do 6 reps with that weight i’ll start over.

After the first set i’ll lower the weight with 10-15% and do the other reps i’ve listed.

Day 1 - Lower body
Day 2 - Push + calves/rotator cuffs
Day 3
Day 4 - Pull
Day 5
Day 6 - Repeat

Lower body

Squat set 1 4-6 set 2 6-8 set 3 8-10 (RPT)
SLDL set 1 6-8 set 2 8-10 set 3 10-12 (RPT)
Leg press or leg extansion 4 x 8-12
Leg curl 3 x 8-12
Hyperextensions 2 x 8-12
Abs - crunch machine 3 x 6-8 + captain’s chair 3 x 8-12

Push

Bench set 1 4-6 set 2 6-8 set 3 8-10 (RPT)
OH press set 1 6-8 set 2 8-10 set 3 10-12 (RPT)
Incline DB press 3 x 8-12
Chest dips or DB flyes 2 x 8-12
Rope pushdowns 4 x 8-12
Cable lateral raise 3 x 8-12
Some calf work and rotator cuffs

Pull

Pullups set 1 4-6 set 2 6-8 set 3 8-10 (RPT)
DB row set 1 6-8 set 2 8-10 set 3 10-12 (RPT)
BB row or close grip pulldown 3 x 8-12
Rear delt fly 3 x 8-12
DB Shrugs 2-3 x 8-12
BB Curl 4 x 8-12 and some wrist work (reversed/normal wrist curls)

Each workout would be around 45-60 minutes not including warmup.
So what do you think? Have anyone tryed anything similar?

[quote]Rawsteel wrote:
Hello, i’m soon going out of a cut and are looking for a new way of splitting my body up and one split that caught my eye is the strenght/hypertrophy Lower/push/pull 5 days a week because it would allow me to work each muscle with a little more volume then the typical upper/lower and legs/back/biceps - Chest/delts/triceps 4 days a week that i’m used to.

I have been working out for a little over 4 years (natural) and i’m 25 years old and my work is not stressing my body in any way so when it comes to recovery i think i’ll be fine.
Here is the routine and the way i thought i’ll approach it if i choose to try it for 4-5 months.

I would try RPT (reverse pyramid training) and for you who dont know what that is google RPT Randy Herring, he has an article on BB.com about it.

The way it works is that the first set will be the heaviest one and the one i will always try to progress in so lets take squat as an example, i will start with a weight i exactly can handle 4 reps with and when i with time can do 6 reps with that weight i’ll start over.

After the first set i’ll lower the weight with 10-15% and do the other reps i’ve listed.

Day 1 - Lower body
Day 3
Day 4 - Pull
Day 5
Day 6 - Repeat

Lower body

SLDL set 1 6-8 set 2 8-10 set 3 10-12 (RPT) *** I would do these at the end because I can feel my hamstrings better when they’re more pumped
Leg press or leg extansion 4 x 8-12 *** leg press instead of leg extensions
Leg curl 3 x 8-12 *** I’d switch the order of these with the sldl
Hyperextensions 2 x 8-12

Push

Chest dips or DB flyes 2 x 8-12 *** do the dips or some other press
Rope pushdowns 4 x 8-12 *** I’d have a heavy tricep movement before or after this

Pull

Rear delt fly 3 x 8-12
DB Shrugs 2-3 x 8-12
BB Curl 4 x 8-12 and some wrist work (reversed/normal wrist curls) *** I’d do two bi exercises if I were you

So what do you think? Have anyone tryed anything similar?[/quote]

I put my comments in your post above, it looks pretty good and you could do that with no problem but I put some suggestions for you to consider. I’d also do each bodypart after the other so I’d do the two chest exercises, then move on to shoulders etc… but that’s also personal preference

[quote]myself1992 wrote:

[quote]Rawsteel wrote:

Day 1 - Lower body
Day 3
Day 4 - Pull
Day 5
Day 6 - Repeat

Lower body

SLDL set 1 6-8 set 2 8-10 set 3 10-12 (RPT) *** I would do these at the end because I can feel my hamstrings better when they’re more pumped
Leg press or leg extansion 4 x 8-12 *** leg press instead of leg extensions
Leg curl 3 x 8-12 *** I’d switch the order of these with the sldl
Hyperextensions 2 x 8-12

Push

Chest dips or DB flyes 2 x 8-12 *** do the dips or some other press
Rope pushdowns 4 x 8-12 *** I’d have a heavy tricep movement before or after this

Pull

Rear delt fly 3 x 8-12
DB Shrugs 2-3 x 8-12
BB Curl 4 x 8-12 and some wrist work (reversed/normal wrist curls) *** I’d do two bi exercises if I were you

So what do you think? Have anyone tryed anything similar?[/quote]

I put my comments in your post above, it looks pretty good and you could do that with no problem but I put some suggestions for you to consider. I’d also do each bodypart after the other so I’d do the two chest exercises, then move on to shoulders etc… but that’s also personal preference
[/quote]

Yea i think i will do each muscle back to back as im used to.
It will just feel wrong to start working a muscle then stop and hit another.
And when it comes to the flyes/dips, dont you think it would be to much for my front delts if i add another pressing movement? I mean both bench and and incline DB press hits the front delts pretty hard.
But i think i will go with it like this if i decide to start with it.
I might add that each set will be taken to 1 rep from failure and sometimes i might take the last 1-2 sets for each muscle to failure in the isolation movements i gave them.
And here’s how the rest times between the rpt sets look like ->

A 4-6 - 3 min - 6-8 - 3 min - 8-10
B 6-8 - 3 min - 8-10 - 2 min - 10-12

For the 9-12 sets i will use a 90s set rest.

Lower Body

Squat (RPT A)
Legpress 4 x 9-12
SLDL (RPT B)
Leg curl 3 x 9-12
Weighted hyperextensions 2 x 9-12 + ab work

Push

Bench press (RPT A)
Incline DB press 3 x 9-12
DB flyes 2-3 x 9-12
OH Press (RPT B)
Cable lateral raise 3 x 9-12
Seated frenchpress (RPT B)
Rope pushdowns 2 x 9-12 + calves and rotatorcuffs

Pull

Pullups (RPT A)
DB row (RPT B)
BB row or close grip pulldown 3 x 9-12
Rear delt fly 3 x 9-12
DB shrugs 3 x 9-12
BB curl 4 x 9-12 + forearms

Oh my bad… I actualy didn’t see in the first post that you were doing incline db press before the dips/flyes… In that case yeah its fine the way you posted it above. Looks solid

After some more reading about RPT i see that i totally misinterpreted it.
It’s adviced to stick to a smaller rep range and take the first set to the max and after that rest 3 min and remove 10% and do 1-2 more reps in the 2 following sets and stop 1 rep from failure.
So it will look like this instead, made a few exercise/volume changes aswell.
Think it will be to much?

RPT
A 4-6 - 3 min rest
B 6-8 - 2.3 min rest

Other sets
12/10-8/6 - 90s rest, starting with a weight i can do 12/10 reps with and keeping it in the following sets, so in a set of 3 x 12-8 i should drop about 2 reps after each set.
When i can do more then 12 reps in the first set i will inrease the weight the next workout.

Lower

Squat - RPT A
Legpress - 4 x 12-8 (might throw in 2 x 12-10 leg extensions after depending on the energy)
SLDL - RPT B
Leg curl - 3 x 12-8
Hyperextensions - 2 x 12-8
Ab work

Push

Bench - RPT A
Incline DB press - 3 x 12-8
Cablecross or DB flyes - 2-3 x 12-8
Seated militarypress - RPT B
Cable lateral raise - 3 x 12-8
Lying DB triceps extention - 3 x 10-6
Rope pushdowns - 2 x 12-8
Calf + cuff work

Pull

Pullups - RPT A
Close grip pulldowns - 2 x 12-8
DB row - RPT B
Barbell row - 2 x 12-8
Rear delt flyes - 3 x 12-8 superset DB shrugs 3 x 12-8
Barbell curl - 3 x 10-6
Hammer curl - 2 x 12-8
Forearm work

This way get both heavy and ligt horizontal/vertical work for my back wich is a bit behind.