Lower Lateral Pecs

[quote]coolnatedawg wrote:

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

[quote]kingbeef323 wrote:
Try my chest routine, it works extremely well for myself and clients.

Incline Dumbbell - 4x 8,8,8, 4-8
Flat Dumbbell - 4x 8,8,8, 4-8
Decline Dumbbell - 4x 8,8,8, 4-8

That’s it no need for any flyes/crossovers/pec deck. If you want a bigger chest like yesterday do this along with Dr. Clay’s push up progressions. That combination brought my chest from a weak point to a strong point in about 2 months. (oh and that routine is obviously if you’re training each bodypart 1x a week)[/quote]

That obviously worked for you but for someone like me who is shoulder dominant it would be a terrible idea. Half of my chest routine is fly movements and I too have brought my chest from a weakpoint to a strong point. You arent worng but it definitely wont work for everyone. [/quote]

How do you set your chest work up Bonez?[/quote]

Sorry didnt see this yesterday.

For about 6 months Ive been training my chest twice a week. Usually on a tuesday and saturday

Workout 1.
Preexhaust with pec deck. as many sets as needed to loosen up and get a small pump. usually 3-5 short rest. Never to failure. (there are a few different schools on pre-exhausting, I dont like going to failure)

Incline DB press 30 degree bench - 4ish sets ramped up. No less than 6 reps.
HS decline OR flat barbell press - 3ish sets ramped. 8+reps
plate loaded incline power fly machine neutral grip - 4 sets short rest
different pec deck/cable side lateral raise super set to finish. (I dont have a separate shoulder day if I train chest twice

Workout 2
same preexhaust
Incline db or Incline barbell press same rep scheme
flat DB press same rep scheme
HS iso incline press. I do this with someone pushing down on the weight during the negative. 2-3 sets.
maybe some sort of machine fly if i feel like it.

Workout 2 is shorter but I try to go a bit heavier on the first exercise.

For about 6 months Ive been training my chest twice a week. Usually on a tuesday and saturday

Workout 1.
Preexhaust with pec deck. as many sets as needed to loosen up and get a small pump. usually 3-5 short rest. Never to failure. (there are a few different schools on pre-exhausting, I dont like going to failure)

different pec deck/cable side lateral raise super set to finish. (I dont have a separate shoulder day if I train chest twice

Workout 2
same preexhaust
HS iso incline press. I do this with someone pushing down on the weight during the negative. 2-3 sets.

Workout 2 is shorter but I try to go a bit heavier on the first exercise. [/quote]

That looks like a good chest routine, I’d like to try it. Are you able to fit in a day where you work the front delts directly or is the chest pressing enough shoulder work?

I have always found it very difficult to build my pectorals with pressing movements, it seems my triceps and delts want to take most of the load.

For me, flyes have been the answer, specifically with cables. I think standard DB flyes are lacking for the reason Bonez outlined above. I usually set up a bench in a seated position in front of a cable-crossover stack, and try to work at a variety of angles.

I also do a press/fly variation as I work towards a heavier weight. Do not assume that because I am using a cable stack this is a fluff exercise, the stacks at my gym can hold 120kg/264lbs so there is plenty of progression to be had even for the big boys.

What about deltoids? Are there people who don’t see much growth from pressing movements, but need to do mostly raises to grow?

[quote]Dave_ wrote:
I have always found it very difficult to build my pectorals with pressing movements, it seems my triceps and delts want to take most of the load.

For me, flyes have been the answer, specifically with cables. I think standard DB flyes are lacking for the reason Bonez outlined above. I usually set up a bench in a seated position in front of a cable-crossover stack, and try to work at a variety of angles.

I also do a press/fly variation as I work towards a heavier weight. Do not assume that because I am using a cable stack this is a fluff exercise, the stacks at my gym can hold 120kg/264lbs so there is plenty of progression to be had even for the big boys. [/quote]

I have the same problem and do the same thing but I start with a heavy weight and drop it as I get fatigued. As I lower the weight, I focus on really squeezing my chest at the bottom for 1-2 seconds.

I press first like KingBeef outlined above, 4-5x6-8 flat/incline/decline but I don’t really get a pump until I do the cable flyes.

This has brought my chest from a weakness to on par with the rest of me. I doubt it’ll ever be a strength though.

[quote]montez wrote:

Workout 1.

Workout 2
same preexhaust

Workout 2 is shorter but I try to go a bit heavier on the first exercise. [/quote]

That looks like a good chest routine, I’d like to try it. Are you able to fit in a day where you work the front delts directly or is the chest pressing enough shoulder work?
[/quote]

Every now and then I’ll do some front raises but my shoulders grow way too easily and seem to maintain their size as long as I do lateral raises a few times a month. Someone who isnt shoulder dominant way want to do some more direct shoulder work on the second chest day

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

That’s it no need for any flyes/crossovers/pec deck. If you want a bigger chest like yesterday do this along with Dr. Clay’s push up progressions. That combination brought my chest from a weak point to a strong point in about 2 months. (oh and that routine is obviously if you’re training each bodypart 1x a week)[/quote]

That obviously worked for you but for someone like me who is shoulder dominant it would be a terrible idea. Half of my chest routine is fly movements and I too have brought my chest from a weakpoint to a strong point. You arent worng but it definitely wont work for everyone. [/quote]

Workout 1.

Workout 2
same preexhaust

do you feel like the pre-exhaust hinders your performance on the low incline?

[quote]actionboy wrote:

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

Workout 1.

Workout 2
same preexhaust

do you feel like the pre-exhaust hinders your performance on the low incline? [/quote]

I still progress week to week in strength gains. I dont train to lift the most weight possible, if thats what youre asking. But the dumbells in my gym only go up to 125lbs so its not a bad thing that I start off a bit fatigued.

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

[quote]actionboy wrote:

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

Workout 1.

Workout 2
same preexhaust

do you feel like the pre-exhaust hinders your performance on the low incline? [/quote]

I still progress week to week in strength gains. I dont train to lift the most weight possible, if thats what youre asking. But the dumbells in my gym only go up to 125lbs so its not a bad thing that I start off a bit fatigued. [/quote]

oh ok. i guess i was just trying to gauge how fatigued you are when you start doing sets.

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

I am very shoulder dominant, but when I do flat and decline (especially decline), I can really feel it in my chest when I tuck my elbows. I think for most people, with dumbbells, it comes down to form and not flaring your elbows.

[quote]therajraj wrote:
What about deltoids? Are there people who don’t see much growth from pressing movements, but need to do mostly raises to grow?[/quote]

I’m by no means advanced trainee, but since I ditched ALL shoulder pressing, my bench press went up. It looks like I have very low work capacity and my pressing muscles accumulate very fast fatigue. If I try to space things, each chest day will end up being once every 8-9 days and that’s not good for me.

Maybe my shoulder structure is too fragile and doesn’t let me go heavy on shldr presses. So I do front raises the back day, and I found that as long as my bench and front raise poundage is going up, my shoulders grow. Sadly, you can’t improve front raises by THAT much.

[quote]desolator wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:
What about deltoids? Are there people who don’t see much growth from pressing movements, but need to do mostly raises to grow?[/quote]

I’m by no means advanced trainee, but since I ditched ALL shoulder pressing, my bench press went up. It looks like I have very low work capacity and my pressing muscles accumulate very fast fatigue. If I try to space things, each chest day will end up being once every 8-9 days and that’s not good for me.

Maybe my shoulder structure is too fragile and doesn’t let me go heavy on shldr presses. So I do front raises the back day, and I found that as long as my bench and front raise poundage is going up, my shoulders grow. Sadly, you can’t improve front raises by THAT much.[/quote]

wait, what? as long as your bench and front raises go up your shoulders grow? what about medial and rear delt? you dont seriously only train your front head do you?