T Nation

Lower Body Out-Growing Upper!

hi all, i’ll try and keep this as simple as possible.

My legs and core(basically everything below pec level) responds EXTREMELY well to training, any training i do in terms of both strength and size and my upper body struggles!
My goals are lean size and strength, my legs are out-growing the rest of me! and my core swells making me look fatter than i am.

current routine : -

day 1
Bench press
incline DB press
close grip bench press
DB curls

Day 2
Squat
front squat
ham curls
calf raise
2x ab exercises

day 3
seated shoulder press lockouts
push press
dB press
shrugs
tri pull downs

day 4
Rack pulls
bent over BB rows
1 arm DB rows
wide grip pull downs (as i cant do wide pullups yet)
2x abs

mainly everything is 4-8 sets of 3-5 reps as i feel this works best for me.

but my legs are growing so fast compared to my upper body, i would ideally like my shoulders,back and arms to really fill out making my core look smaller but they are taking so long.

Has anyone got any suggestions? i really enjoy squatting so i dont wanna stop but the rest needs to catch up in terms of both size andb strength

Go with it. What if your legs have Platz potential? I bet they’ll eventually plateau and then you can bring your upper body up to speed. Big legs are cool, man.

If you’re really growing that well from lower body, why not try doing for your upper body what you’re doing for your lower? (I.e. cut down on your volume.)

I’d really like to see some pictures showing the problem, mostly just to verify that you actually have a “problem” and don’t just need size everywhere.

[quote]goochadamg wrote:
If you’re really growing that well from lower body, why not try doing for your upper body what you’re doing for your lower? (I.e. cut down on your volume.)

I’d really like to see some pictures showing the problem, mostly just to verify that you actually have a “problem” and don’t just need size everywhere.

[/quote]

Yeah, I have yet to see pics of the people claiming this problem.

I think what it really is, is them being like “OMG I actually have a butt now and my legs don’t fit into my hot topic jeans anymore, and my arms still aren’t busting out of my Small t-shirts, wtf do I do now!??!?1!!!”

whats your stats? height weight bf?

Isn’t the muscle mass potential of the lower body far greater than upper? no? You should persist to keep the muscle growth in the lower body, nobody wants the “chicken leg phenomena” haha.

Core swelling up seems like a problem though, which could be linked to diet and/or the need to Ab work everyday. How many years have you been lifting? The sudden rise in muscle mass lower body does usually happen when we first start lifting (not saying this is where you are just that it would be good to know).

Yeah, upper body is just much weaker than lower.

Look at the big lifts the big lifters are going, look at their squat or deadlift compared to their bench.

Is your ratio really that different? Is your bench 60% of your squat/deadlift? Less? Less than 50%? It seems like your bench needs to be well under 40% of your squat/deadlift before you can really say your upper-body is lagging.

I want proof.

[quote]XanderBuilt wrote:

Core swelling up seems like a problem though, which could be linked to diet and/or the need to Ab work everyday[/quote]

How the fuck would doing more ab work make his core smaller? So I guess I should start squatting to make my legs smaller too?

[quote]hungry4more wrote:

Core swelling up seems like a problem though, which could be linked to diet and/or the need to Ab work everyday[/quote]

How the fuck would doing more ab work make his core smaller? So I guess I should start squatting to make my legs smaller too?[/quote]

Meaning he needs to tighten his abs hence more core work. Did you just compare leg work to ab work? A squat is hardly the same as a crunch.

Bring out the deadlift 2-3 times a week. Still works your legs and yet will smash your back/grip strength giving you a platform to build your upper body from.

How the fuck would doing more ab work make his core smaller? So I guess I should start squatting to make my legs smaller too?[/quote]

Meaning he needs to tighten his abs hence more core work. Did you just compare leg work to ab work? A squat is hardly the same as a crunch.[/quote]

Squat: works legs, makes them stronger and bigger.

Crunch: works abs, makes them stronger and bigger.

Or am I missing something?

Once again, how would ab work make his waist smaller?

I had no idea I had replies to this topic, sorry if I seem to have ignored you all.

stats,
5ft 7
97kg
not sure with bodyfat, I imagine around 25%

lifts now

squat - 155kg x3
bench - 90kg x3
rack pull - recently done 170kg x1

I will be taking measurements of bodyparts shortly but for example,I was fitting into 34inch waist trousers/jeans late last year, now Im getting 38inch waist trousers/jeans and not getting my legs into them. Yet my shirts are just now starting to become tighter (UK large, but starting to get XL only in last week) and my boxers have gone from UK Large to XL cos my arse!

I have been adding more ab work with good strength results but still its sticking out solidly, and have also started more cardio.

I have mixed my reps up for both upper and lower, and still my lower body seems to dominate.

Yeah, I have yet to see pics of the people claiming this problem. [/quote]

[quote]ebomb5522 wrote:
I want proof. [/quote]

Im not saying I look like a total freak NOW, but Im noticing the difference in growth and dont want it to become obvious to the average person. Hence why Im posting for advice

you seem to be carrying a lotta extra weight anyways, so your more than a load of muscle

as for abs, man look at PX that man is a solid fuckin man of muscle, his abs stick out cause theyre supposed too. probably ahve a lot to do with hip position as well

as for legs, well, stop training them as hard for a while, train your upper body more

[quote]adrenalinx wrote:
I had no idea I had replies to this topic, sorry if I seem to have ignored you all.

stats,
5ft 7
97kg
not sure with bodyfat, I imagine around 25%

lifts now

squat - 155kg x3
bench - 90kg x3
rack pull - recently done 170kg x1

I will be taking measurements of bodyparts shortly but for example,I was fitting into 34inch waist trousers/jeans late last year, now Im getting 38inch waist trousers/jeans and not getting my legs into them. Yet my shirts are just now starting to become tighter (UK large, but starting to get XL only in last week) and my boxers have gone from UK Large to XL cos my arse!

I have been adding more ab work with good strength results but still its sticking out solidly, and have also started more cardio.

I have mixed my reps up for both upper and lower, and still my lower body seems to dominate.

Yeah, I have yet to see pics of the people claiming this problem. [/quote]

[quote]ebomb5522 wrote:
I want proof. [/quote]

Im not saying I look like a total freak NOW, but Im noticing the difference in growth and dont want it to become obvious to the average person. Hence why Im posting for advice
[/quote]

Your lower body is SUPPOSED to dominate. It’s stronger than the upper body. Your bench/squat stats aren’t very skewed, just keep working on getting all-around stronger, you have no business specializing now.

No offense, but you just need to lose some fat, and things will be more clear to you. Clean up that diet if you haven’t yet. Eat less carbs, more protein, higher quality fats.

yeah i do need to lose some fat. The first couple of months of this year i ate whatever i wanted and enjoyed it. So this last week I have been cleaning up the diet. It can be hard with work sometimes (shift work) but Im just gonna have to deal with it.

Carbs have been lowered and more cardio has been added (even though i hate it with a passion) i always find it hard to get enough fibre when cutting carbs but thats for another post in the nutrition section, i’ll put one in there when i havent had a dump for a couple of days lol

cheers fella’s, i will keep pluggin away as i love squatting

Please show me a picture of ANYONE, doesn’t even need to be you, who looks weird because his legs are too big for his upper body.
The gap between your bench and squat is only 140, for me its 165 and I feel like my legs are way too small for my upper body.

I wouldn’t worry about this at all. (But agree that 25% is too high)

i do see alot of women with very impressive lower bodies and not very impressive upper but that is the way most are built, and i didnt wanna be that way! lol

i always believed body composition would change if you bulk, more muscle=burning more fat and not gaining too much but in my case that is a load of b*llocks as i have gained a fair bit. I look more like a mini strongman at the moment.

[quote]MementoMori wrote:
Please show me a picture of ANYONE, doesn’t even need to be you, who looks weird because his legs are too big for his upper body.
The gap between your bench and squat is only 140, for me its 165 and I feel like my legs are way too small for my upper body.

I wouldn’t worry about this at all. (But agree that 25% is too high)[/quote]

Agreed.