Lower Back

Tuesday are my legs/lower back days…workout day went
Squats: 7 sets of 2 and 1 set of 3 with 275
Front Squats supersetted with SLDL 3x8
Good Mornings supersetted with weighted Hyperextensions 3x12
My lower back is already is already fried and will have bad DOMS tomorrow…is this too much lower back volume? I deadlift on fridays with the same rep scheme

[quote]chobbs wrote:
Tuesday are my legs/lower back days…workout day went
Squats: 7 sets of 2 and 1 set of 3 with 275
Front Squats supersetted with SLDL 3x8
Good Mornings supersetted with weighted Hyperextensions 3x12
My lower back is already is already fried and will have bad DOMS tomorrow…is this too much lower back volume? I deadlift on fridays with the same rep scheme[/quote]

I don’t think it’s the rep scheme for your squats. I would think it’s doing SLDL, goodmornings, and hypers in the same session.

I know this doesn’t apply to everyone, but for me a squat day would look like this:

Squat (I use 5/3/1, but what you’re doing is fine)
something for hamstrings (SLDL, RDLs, GHRs, you could do good mornings here)
something for abs (ab wheel, leg raises, side bends, etc)

I generally will do 3-4 sets of 10-15 reps for the hamstrings and ab work. You could try that out and see how your lower back feels.

How does your lower back feel on deadlift day? If you wanted to try ^^^that out, you could do the same thing, except with a quad movement instead of hamstrings (lunges, leg press, etc)

You really have to go by how you feel afterwards. If you’re sore the next day or two, fine. If it puts you out of commission for a while or renders you immobile, probably a good idea to reduce your volume or number of movements you’re doing. Personally, I love and live for that much volume and would do all of those things in one session for sure. Then again, I’m crazy.

Anyways, I would tell you that if it’s affecting your deadlifting on Friday, tame it down a little or have some more days between your squats and deadlift.

Recovery is based on multiple factors: age, # of years training, amount of sleep each night, diet, volume, etc. I agree with Jackie you have to judge how you feel and how your lifts are progressing. If your deadlift stalls for weeks on end or especially if it starts regressing then you might need to adjust things.

Thanks for the input guys, I’ll come back with more info after Friday.