T Nation

Lower Back Warmup and Rehab

Hi Jim and everyone else,

I threw out my back by doing squats with a rounded back when I was first starting out.

Ever since I’ve randomly gotten back soreness, and tightness (like I just did a hundred back raises). This happens pre workout btw, without me putting any stress on the back.

Anyways, sometimes that leads to bad workouts and sometimes it leads to more injury. This doesn’t happen often, but I was just wondering if any of you guys had a definitive back warmup exercise or two that I would use and guarentee myself a warmed up lower back.

As of now I put icy hot on it before squat days just to be sure. I’ve also been doing reverse hypers once a week, and was wondering if these can be upped to 3 times a week.

Thanks

of course, im not jim…but when ive been injured and had access, i would do LIGHT reverse hypers and bwt back raises everyday. i just never went heavy and it was more for getting blood into the area with high reps… now, not knowing your specific issues well and me not being a doc, your mileage may vary.

[quote]antknee1 wrote:
of course, im not jim…but when ive been injured and had access, i would do LIGHT reverse hypers and bwt back raises everyday. i just never went heavy and it was more for getting blood into the area with high reps… now, not knowing your specific issues well and me not being a doc, your mileage may vary.[/quote]

would you say 3 x 15 reps is light and high enough?

I went to a doc, and he did X-rays and atleast my spine is fine. Not sure about the muscular tissue surrounding it. Im happy my spine is good tho.

i would say go by feel… i did really high reps but i felt them tire me out more than i would have liked and thats not what i was trying to do…3x15 sounds good to me for what i was using them for- id say try it and adjust to how YOU feel… i think they helped but again, i went light and my ROM was not excessive. good luck, man

You can use DeFranco’s Agile 8. In the book Jim recommend this too. I’ve used now for a couple of months and it works like magic for me.

I too have had my share of lower back injuries. I found that doing a spinal wave protocol prior to back extensions really helped me. I swapped to front squats too while I was injured to reduce the load on the lower back. It worked for me along with lots of lacrosse ball rolling on piriformus. See DeFranco agile 11 for a good warmup routine

To the original poster,

Go to a good chiropractor to see if you have actually done something to your back. Back injuries are nothing to fuck around with. Being sidelined for a knee or shoulder is one thing, but your back is central to all that is strength training. It’s tricky as hell to rehab a back injury.

The recommendation of Defranco’s Agile 8 is a good one, by the way. Jim says to do it three times a day. I absolutely agree. Whatever you do, just make sure increase your hip flexibility so that your back isn’t doing all of the lifting while you train.

Lastly, with the reverse hyper, keep the weight light and don’t swing that shit too much. That can make back injuries worse sometimes, it just depends on what you have done. Just get some blood flow to the lower back. I would start with bodyweight for 100 reps each time you train.

Stretch your hip flexor often. Do more ab work, see if those help.

[quote]HighBarSquat wrote:
Hi Jim and everyone else,

I threw out my back by doing squats with a rounded back when I was first starting out.

Ever since I’ve randomly gotten back soreness, and tightness (like I just did a hundred back raises). This happens pre workout btw, without me putting any stress on the back.

Anyways, sometimes that leads to bad workouts and sometimes it leads to more injury. This doesn’t happen often, but I was just wondering if any of you guys had a definitive back warmup exercise or two that I would use and guarentee myself a warmed up lower back.

As of now I put icy hot on it before squat days just to be sure. I’ve also been doing reverse hypers once a week, and was wondering if these can be upped to 3 times a week.

Thanks[/quote]

You need to go see a doctor, have the issue properly diagnosed and rehabbed by a professional. Injuries on the internet are impossible to diagnose and cure. Be wary!

Thanks, Jim and everyone else.

I saw a doctor a few months ago. He did the X-rays and all and said my spine was fine.

He said if this continued after 6 months or so to see him to do an MRI (?) i think.

But on another users suggestion I will go see a chiropractor this week.