Lower Back vs Legs During Deads...

Lotta people here don’t know what prime mover means…just because a muscle is being recruited does NOT mean that it is the “primary mover”. Lower back, forearms/grip, and traps all get the shit worked out of them by deadlifts, but they are not the “primary movers”, they contract isometrically to transfer force to the weight.

Hamstrings/adductors, quads, glutes, THOSE are the primary movers, those are the muscles that work to move the weight. Doesn’t necessarily mean they get worked more or less than the other muscles.

Does it really matter what the “primary mover” is?

Most people who do deadlifts do them to get a big back, they dont do them to get big legs. it definatly is a movement that uses both.

why not just research good form for the movement and worry about that? i cant imagine guys like efferding and j.jackson sitting and having arguments on what the primary mover of the deadlift is. they just work on good form and pull some weight.

[quote]WP wrote:

[quote]rugggby wrote:

[quote]WP wrote:
I have deadlifted 270kg/595lbs conventional style [raw, no belt or straps][/quote]

That’s hella impressive. How much do you weigh?[/quote]

I was about 225lbs [give or take 5lbs] when I did that, my weight has been fluctuating these last few months due to an inconsistent diet (not my fault though, I’m a poor student).[/quote]

How much you weighing in your pic? It looks alot less than 225

[quote]rugggby wrote:

[quote]WP wrote:

[quote]rugggby wrote:

[quote]WP wrote:
I have deadlifted 270kg/595lbs conventional style [raw, no belt or straps][/quote]

I was about 225lbs [give or take 5lbs] when I did that, my weight has been fluctuating these last few months due to an inconsistent diet (not my fault though, I’m a poor student).[/quote]

How much you weighing in your pic? It looks alot less than 225[/quote]

It’s an old pic lol, I can’t be bothered to change it. I didn’t weigh myself when I was that size since the most important thing at the time (and to be honest, still is the most important thing) were the numbers I was putting up. The reason I keep track of my weight now is because food is no longer easy to get to since I started uni/college recently, since then my weight has fluctuated by as much as 14lbs.

In the first week I dropped from 238 lbs to 224 lbs.

I’m currently 231 lbs and have managed to maintain that weight for a three weeks without dropping - college diet is horrendous, there are some days where I honestly could say I didn’t manage to get in 100g of protein. I’m trying my best to get the food in but sometimes I just don’t have the money.

[quote]Yetta wrote:
Go have yourself a good fVck to reduce your test levels.
If you want, I’ll meet you in the ring and deck you in round one.
[/quote]

lol brilliant

[quote]The Londoner wrote:
Yetta, unless the OP asked you how to carry a sack of grain from the windmill to the barn 50 yards away, I’d advise you stay away from giving third party advice on a topic you clearly don’t have real practical experience on. I’d also advise you to stop behaving like an internet tough guy, and going on about “decking people in round one”, with all 5’6" of your slow twitch muscle.[/quote]

calm down buddy. proper form for sack carrying is a hot topic on this forum

[quote]WP wrote:

[quote]rugggby wrote:

[quote]WP wrote:

[quote]rugggby wrote:

[quote]WP wrote:

How much you weighing in your pic? It looks alot less than 225[/quote]

It’s an old pic lol, I can’t be bothered to change it. I didn’t weigh myself when I was that size since the most important thing at the time (and to be honest, still is the most important thing) were the numbers I was putting up. The reason I keep track of my weight now is because food is no longer easy to get to since I started uni/college recently, since then my weight has fluctuated by as much as 14lbs.

In the first week I dropped from 238 lbs to 224 lbs.

I’m currently 231 lbs and have managed to maintain that weight for a three weeks without dropping - college diet is horrendous, there are some days where I honestly could say I didn’t manage to get in 100g of protein. I’m trying my best to get the food in but sometimes I just don’t have the money.
[/quote]

Thats very true about the numbers.

I hear ya mate. Although ive never had the patience or brains for uni, my friends tell me its hard going. I imagine most of your calories are coming from alcohol. If your 16 stone odd, on a non optimal diet, you must be doing something right!

[quote]Maiden3.16 wrote:
Does it really matter what the “primary mover” is?

Most people who do deadlifts do them to get a big back, they dont do them to get big legs. it definatly is a movement that uses both.

why not just research good form for the movement and worry about that? i cant imagine guys like efferding and j.jackson sitting and having arguments on what the primary mover of the deadlift is. they just work on good form and pull some weight.[/quote]

Dude with big back says do deads for back…Ima do deads for back.

For me normal floor deads and rack pulls for back and SLDL’s for hammies,glutes,low back.

I didn’t read the thread but what the guy meant by you don’t deadlift with your back is:

Your erector spinae muscles stabilize your spine and keep it straight.
You do the actual lifting with your hips/glutes/hamstrings.

So, don’t try to lift the bar with your lower back. Use the lower back to keep your spine neutral.
Use your hips/glutes/hamstrings to lift the bar.