Lower Back Symmetry

Due to starting tennis at a young age and playing for over 15 years (at least thats why I think why…) I literally have no left side to my lower back, no mind muscle connection either. Only ever get a pump on the right side whilst doing lower back extensions, lying leg extensions (front ways), deadlifts and shit.

Any good tips or thoughts to isolate one side over another, good oblique work as well as ways to build up the mind muscle connection?

EDIT sorry for the huge picture, no idea how to resize it (?)

Try doing a few sets of high rep side bends (20 reps) leaning slightly forward as well as sideways 3 or more times a week. Do equal sets and reps on each side. It should balance it out.

Hope that helps :slight_smile:

[quote]furo wrote:
Try doing a few sets of high rep side bends (20 reps) leaning slightly forward as well as sideways 3 or more times a week. Do equal sets and reps on each side. It should balance it out.

Hope that helps :)[/quote]

Cheers will give it a bash

Single leg G H R?

[quote]Ct. Rockula wrote:
Single leg G H R?[/quote]

I train in my garage with an incline bench, rack and bars and some bands. Anyway to do it with the minimal equipment?

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:

I train in my garage with an incline bench, rack and bars and some bands. Anyway to do it with the minimal equipment?[/quote]

Damn.

I will have to get my sketch pad and protractors and shit out to come up with something for ya…

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:

I train in my garage with an incline bench, rack and bars and some bands. Anyway to do it with the minimal equipment?[/quote]

Damn.

I will have to get my sketch pad and protractors and shit out to come up with something for ya…[/quote]

In all honesty when I saw you had posted on this thread I was expecting you to write FST-7 lol

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:

Damn.

I will have to get my sketch pad and protractors and shit out to come up with something for ya…[/quote]

In all honesty when I saw you had posted on this thread I was expecting you to write FST-7 lol[/quote]

I meant FST7 single leg G H R.

It was implied.

Definitely single leg reverse hypers

need a ball & a bench for this one

this guy is pretty brilliant, maybe you could use your incline bench and bands to rig up something like this? one leg band reverse hypers?

[quote]Most Major wrote:
Definitely single leg reverse hypers

need a ball & a bench for this one

this guy is pretty brilliant, maybe you could use your incline bench and bands to rig up something like this? one leg band reverse hypers?

[/quote]

Thanks very much dude will give both options a try!

This might help you feel it.
My right shoulder is painfull so yesterday i only felt my left side(hamstring, glute and lower back after 3 sets.
First set i just raised and hold about 60 sec. Rested about 55 sec. On a regular lower back extension where we end up horizontal not the one where we endup about 45 degrees.

Second and third sets regular repetitions but not going down all the way to maintain tension i only go down about 60 percent of the potential mouvement.
The trick is i was doing all this holding 20 pounds pressed on my torso ,only with my left arm,
Hopefully with enough sets/weight holded only by your left hand/arm you will feel it.
If not try first doing leg press to pre-exhaust your glutes and hamstrings and finish with lowerback extensions has described.

You might have to do it every other day for 2 weeks but it was a really strong definitely 1 side feeling i got so i would bet it should work. You might keep your right hand behind your back to make sure it is not working even unintentionally.
All the best!

Have you been checked by a professional for any structural issues? Sometimes a slight lateral off-curvature can set up a major muscular imbalance.

Other than everything else suggested in here, something like a kettlebell windmill might help. You can use dumbbells, hold a plate, or even just hook a band under your foot and on the raised hand. You can probably improvise something. It’s the movement that matters.

(skip to 1:15 or so for the actual demonstration)

Yeah, you kinda look like you have scoliosis. Might want to get that checked. But, the best thing to do if you have it is make your back really strong.

What DD said about scoliosis, the photo strongly suggests it, although it might just be an odd angle or pose.

Also, check out a very recent article about back raise variations.
Back raises are way easier to perform and setup then what is posted above, even in a minimalist home gym.
And they produce a very reliable pump to sharpen the mind-muscle connection.

Lie on your bench while your partner/gf/son/dog sits on your calves.
Try out the unilateral back raise to target the waek side.

Thanks for the suggestions guys really appreciate it.

And when I went to the physio regarding a disk bulge the last couple of years they mentioned it looked like I had mild scoliosis but I had done well with it because of training. They were never too interested in why my lower back was so imbalanced so I never made the connection.

Any problems with scoliosis down the line does anyone know?

If your problem is old and likely deep and not a big problem you might be wise to learn to live with it. Correcting it would be a plus but the cost in time pain and more might not be worth it. Our body is allways searching for some balance, equilibrium and harmony. Trying to make a major improvement is a sure way to disrupt your actual “imperfect” balance. Nobody is perfect, your imperfection is visible. You might leave a painfree situation and move into some serious long term pain. If you are pill free an allmost pain free think twice before rocking the boat.

A second opinion might be wise but i could suggest you many relaxing stretching options and you might hate me in some weeks, months and or years.
Well this is the best advice i would give to my brother.
All the best!

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions guys really appreciate it.

And when I went to the physio regarding a disk bulge the last couple of years they mentioned it looked like I had mild scoliosis but I had done well with it because of training. They were never too interested in why my lower back was so imbalanced so I never made the connection.

Any problems with scoliosis down the line does anyone know?

[/quote]

I have it and it doesn’t really stop me from doing anything.

Thats good cause I have no pain or discomfort what so ever with it anymore.