Lower Back Sprain?

5 days ago was performing a snatch grip rack pull. Weight wasn’t really heavy, could have did 10 reps. But somewhere around the 6th rep going up I tweaked my lower back and immediately dropped the weight. Now my whole lower back is locked up… Doesn’t feel like a muscle strain or sprain but on the lumbar region. No shooting leg pain or anything.

But my back now sits in a posterior pelvic tilt I guess to protect itself…

Does this sound like just some over stretched ligament damaged or something disc related?

I can’t even sneeze without hurting myself…

I would have it looked at, my guess is that you have a slipped disc. Do you have a foam roller?

I have a PVC pipe I use for one… From what I researched though, herniated discs usually cause radiating pain down the legs… I don’t have that. Just a lower back that hurts and locks up where I felt the twinge. Either way, hope its nothing serious and I wille be ready in 3 weeks…

Smh…how did this happen :confused:

if i used a pvc pipe for my soft tissue work i suspect my muscles would cramp up to protect themself rather than being coaxed to relax.

get a massage if you aren’t able to go gentle with yourself.

the lumbar region is tricky.

i learned most of my lumbar problems came from my quadratus lumborum. foam rolling myself on my side (very gently) helps.

can you curl up fetal? into a ball. give yourself a big hug? (seriously - i’m thinking about gently coaxing / stretching it to posterior pelvic tilt). what kind of pain and can you be more specific about location?

[quote]alexus wrote:
the lumbar region is tricky.

i learned most of my lumbar problems came from my quadratus lumborum. foam rolling myself on my side (very gently) helps.

can you curl up fetal? into a ball. give yourself a big hug? (seriously - i’m thinking about gently coaxing / stretching it to posterior pelvic tilt). what kind of pain and can you be more specific about location?[/quote]

Well my lower back is really swollen right now and a lot of my normal mobility is lost… I can do what you describe to a certain extent then I can feel slight discomfort / pain where I injured it… It feels like this injury is like a really bad sprained ankle, but on my lower back. No real intense pain now, just really swollen no mobility. I can posteriorly pelvivic tilt but not really go into anterior pelvic tilit. It seems at this point it’s the inflammation causes the most discomfort and tightening my back up.

[quote]alexus wrote:
if i used a pvc pipe for my soft tissue work i suspect my muscles would cramp up to protect themself rather than being coaxed to relax.

get a massage if you aren’t able to go gentle with yourself.
[/quote]

It’s not that bad once you get used to it… At least it wasn’t for me

I will try that stretch thanks

[quote]alexus wrote:

get a massage if you aren’t able to go gentle with yourself.[/quote]

It’s not that bad once you get used to it.

I will try that stretch thanks!!

I would suggest investing in a foam roller, not only might it help you determine where the problem area is for this issue, but it will help prevent further issues

Employ conservative measures for now: NSAIDS, stretches, rest, etc. u don’t want to aggravate what could be a herniated, or worse, a ruptured disc. Herniated it ruptured disc wont necessarily impinge on your nerve, causing sciatic nerve pain down the leg. Lay off deads and squats for a while to let it heal and the herniation to recede, if it’s herniated.

If things don’t improve after a few weeks only an MRI and X-ray will show any herniation or rupture. I hope for your sake thus isn’t the case. I ruptured my L4 L5 few years ago and had a discectomy, where they simply cut out the herniation. I ruptured it a second time last January and my heavy weightlifting days are over. I can do machine weights, but I’m not even 50 yet. So cherish your lower back and protect it with good health and good form.
I wish you well.