T Nation

Lower Back Posture

So I have noticed that after lifting for some time my lower back has develeoped sort of a natural arch when I stand. Is this proper posture? You hear about people saying your back should be straight and all that but mine isn’t.

My upper body posture is fine but like I said my lower back has a natural arch in it. Is this just from frequently having a slight arch for doing lifts (squat, bench press, deadlift, etc)? Or is there something out of whack?

I guess what I’m talking about is anterior pelvic tilt, and I’m not sure If I have it.

Pics would be good. The lumbar spine has a natural arch to it (look up any anatomy site or even wikipedia for a picture), but as for what’s acceptable or not, we’ll probably need a side view picture of you.

[quote]238 wrote:
Pics would be good. The lumbar spine has a natural arch to it (look up any anatomy site or even wikipedia for a picture), but as for what’s acceptable or not, we’ll probably need a side view picture of you.[/quote]

^ This. A subtle arch is ideal, a more pronounced one may still be acceptable. Pics please. And try to do them the way you really stand.

Heres the pic, I hate posting pics on the internet but whatever. This seems to be close enough to how I stand, unfortunately close enough to my overall body mass as well…

Pelvic tilt, definitely. Combined with upper back rounding (IF this is really how you usually stand, including the shoulder position). Two things: stretch your hips flexors EVERY day - and incorporate face pulls into your routine.

Damn I was hoping it wasnt. If I do the face pulls and stretching, along with some correctional stuff by Bret contreras will this go away quickly? Also will it stay fixed or will I have to continue to do these stretches and correctional exercises indefinitely? Thanks for the help though

If the tilt is a result of tight hip flexors, you can fix that within weeks if you’re lucky. the upper back… you’ll have to see about that. Cheer up, it’s nothing life-threatening.

Haha yeah I know I guess I just don’t want it to get any worse. Now I just have to figure out how to fit this into my routine. I would just throw it in at the end of my pull day but I already probably have too much volume… Ill figure it out. Any idea how his could have happened? I have a few theories that relate to my own training but I’m not really knowledgable enough in this area to pin it on something

the hip tilt isn’t necessarily related to training - in fact, quite a few sedentary people have it. Sitting a lot doesn’t help :wink: the upper back rounding can also be related to working at a desk but the fact that most “big” movements are push dominant doesn’t help.

Yeah I’m a student so I do a pretty good amount of sitting. I don’t have the best posture when I sit anyways (hunch over). Would fixing that help? Also am I correct in saying that I have a minor degree of APT? What happens if I don’t correct it? Also an unrelated question while the pics up (I don’t plan on posting any more pics) I should prlly continue with bulking right?

stretching your hip flexors and consciously trying to walk tall will go far. Funnily enough, Squats and deadlifts really helped improve my posture.

Concerning the bulk: personally, I think a bulk should be over when your abs disappear completely. It’s a matter of opinion.

Thanks I’ll keep in mind the walking tall tip. I’ve been deadlifting but can’t squat for the fast 20 weeks or so cause of a surgery. I’m wondering if this has led to the APT? My abs are pretty much disappeared, the top two still kinda poke through on an empty stomach haha. It just kinda sucks cause I’m collecting some fat in the lower abs/hips but still relatively small overall. Thanks for the help though

[quote]bulkNcut wrote:
Thanks I’ll keep in mind the walking tall tip. I’ve been deadlifting but can’t squat for the fast 20 weeks or so cause of a surgery. I’m wondering if this has led to the APT? My abs are pretty much disappeared, the top two still kinda poke through on an empty stomach haha. It just kinda sucks cause I’m collecting some fat in the lower abs/hips but still relatively small overall. Thanks for the help though [/quote]

In spite of what peole tell you, getting big takes time and stuffing yourself / getting fat only helps to a certain point. Getting stronger is way more important than gorging yourself. (I know Professor X would slay me for saying that but it’s true)

Haha yeah I don’t know much about X’s points of view but from what I’ve read he would disagree. So from that quick glance of my size do you think I have room to continue the bulk without getting too fat? I know its a terrible pic to judge by im just looking for a estimate. I’m 6’2 213 right now

I should prlly mention I’ve been gaining about a lb a week for 16 months now. However 5 of those months were messed up do to serious health issues. (I lost about 12lbs in the beginning and at the end of 4 finally got back to where I was before then kept going. Started at 139