Lower Back Pain with SGHP

CT and all,

I’ve been having some intense lower back pain while doing SGHP’s, and more specifically it seems to come on when the weight is descending. Anyone else experience this? The pain has been so severe at times that it hurts to even stand. My form feels quite decent but I’m not sure if I am trying to stop the weight with the help of my lower back once it descends or what. Any help would be appreciated.

@jt Months ago I had a similar issue. The day after SGHP, i could not get out of bed. My lower back was in so much pain.
I posted the question also and dont remember the response. I had to layoff of anything that put strain on my back for a few weeks.
I worked around it. The doctor said it was a muscle spasm. I guess that means strain. I bought a belt and started using that and it helped a lot.

In the end, I remembered what I did differently that day that i hurt my self. I was yanking the bar, AND, I was trying to focus on a VIOLENT HIP DRIVE. That was the big mistake. I was consciously throwing my hips forward as hard as i could and yanking the bar at the same time.
I concluded that was the cause of my injury. Since then I went back to basics, which for me, is to just do what comes naturally. I found as a teen,(from my learning the throws and pitching and batting) that my body developed a natural tendency towards using the different parts of the body firing in a specific order will impose the greatest force/speed/explosion into the task at hand. I only had to be conscious of the parts that were lagging or off timing.
I highly suggest giving your back a rest. The back seems to heal fairly quickly.
All the best
dom

@JT: I would bet it’s form related. One of my favorite things to do for Olympic Lifts and variations I got from Wil Flemming. If you stand straight up, chest up, shoulders back then bend the knees slightly (starting position on Pendlay videos for California Strength on YouTube) that is you starting position. Hold a kettle bell (DB or plate if you don’t have a KB) and push the KB back by pushing your hips back…in other words the only way to make the KB move is by RDLing the way back with perfect posture and then bring your hips forward to the starting position.

I like a nice rymthmic rocking motion. Don’t do this in front of a mirror. Close your eyes & really feel what it’s like to do the movement. When you do this right your weight is on your heels and your toes rock up some. I like to warm up with that or do a few reps before each set if my form needs work (at least from a good hip movement aspect).

I’ve done with with a broomstick or PVC on the back of my head & tailbone too (obviously no KB here) but I feel it’s a good way to reinforce good posture with hyper extending the lower back which is what sounds like is going on. Hope that helps.

Very helpful gents, I’ll give these a try meself

Thanks for the help guys its much appreciated. I will probably have to lay off them for a week or so and focus on my form and posture.

You’re welcome…heal up & be a technique perfectionist…that’s one thing I try to really focus on & honestly I’m more in tube with my focus & workouts than ever…results much better too

Tune*

I had this initially. I just drastically widened my grip almost collar to collar. The wider grip required less weight so less force on back but I gained more muscle in my rear delts as a result.

[quote]sput79 wrote:
Tune*[/quote]
ditto sput
nicely done!

[quote]nickj_777 wrote:
I had this initially. I just drastically widened my grip almost collar to collar. The wider grip required less weight so less force on back but I gained more muscle in my rear delts as a result. [/quote]

This is interesting. I feel like my grip is already wide enough. And what does not help is the gym I use, only one in my small town, has a barbell where there is no more grip area on the ends of the bar by the collars, if that makes sense. Plus they don’t let you use chalk, Anytime fitness gym, so keeping my grip out to the collars is pretty tough.

[quote]jtbrown0511 wrote:

[quote]nickj_777 wrote:
I had this initially. I just drastically widened my grip almost collar to collar. The wider grip required less weight so less force on back but I gained more muscle in my rear delts as a result. [/quote]

This is interesting. I feel like my grip is already wide enough. And what does not help is the gym I use, only one in my small town, has a barbell where there is no more grip area on the ends of the bar by the collars, if that makes sense. Plus they don’t let you use chalk, Anytime fitness gym, so keeping my grip out to the collars is pretty tough.[/quote]

This may be one of the few legitimate reasons to use lifting gloves.

[quote]nickj_777 wrote:

This is interesting. I feel like my grip is already wide enough. And what does not help is the gym I use, only one in my small town, has a barbell where there is no more grip area on the ends of the bar by the collars, if that makes sense. Plus they don’t let you use chalk, Anytime fitness gym, so keeping my grip out to the collars is pretty tough.[/quote]
get sheiko leather straps.
just do it!

[quote]domcib wrote:

[quote]nickj_777 wrote:

just do it!
[/quote]

I’ve been using just cotton straps, or whatever the normal straps are made out of. Do they make that much of a difference?

[quote]domcib wrote:

[quote]nickj_777 wrote:

just do it!
[/quote]t

I’ve been using just cotton straps, or whatever the normal straps are made out of. Do they make that much of a difference?
[/quote]
for me they did. like nite and day. my gym’s bars are smooth at the ends from being on the hooks/rack so much

[quote]domcib wrote:

[quote]domcib wrote:

[quote]nickj_777 wrote:

just do it!
[/quote]t

[/quote]
for me they did. like nite and day. my gym’s bars are smooth at the ends from being on the hooks/rack so much[/quote]

Where did you get your Sheiko leather straps?

[quote]domcib wrote:

[quote]domcib wrote:

[quote]nickj_777 wrote:

just do it!
[/quote]t

[/quote]
for me they did. like nite and day. my gym’s bars are smooth at the ends from being on the hooks/rack so much[/quote]

Ya I agree with dom.I ended up ripping 2 pairs of the cotton ones mid pull.It scared the hell out of me and could of turned out pretty bad haha.They are fine for awhile,but when you’ve broken them In and the weight gets heavy I just don’t trust them.

[quote]jppage wrote:

[quote]domcib wrote:

[quote]domcib wrote:

[quote]nickj_777 wrote:

just do it!
[/quote]t

[/quote]

Ya I agree with dom.I ended up ripping 2 pairs of the cotton ones mid pull.It scared the hell out of me and could of turned out pretty bad haha.They are fine for awhile,but when you’ve broken them In and the weight gets heavy I just don’t trust them.[/quote]
never tore the cotton ones. but the leather really seems to be able to give me a much better grip. they are thinner, and much more comfortable. and they fit around my wrist wraps really well. just an overall real good experience!!

[quote]domcib wrote:

[quote]jppage wrote:

[quote]domcib wrote:

[quote]domcib wrote:

[quote]nickj_777 wrote:

just do it!
[/quote]t

[/quote]

Ya I agree with dom.I ended up ripping 2 pairs of the cotton ones mid pull.It scared the hell out of me and could of turned out pretty bad haha.They are fine for awhile,but when you’ve broken them In and the weight gets heavy I just don’t trust them.[/quote]
never tore the cotton ones. but the leather really seems to be able to give me a much better grip. they are thinner, and much more comfortable. and they fit around my wrist wraps really well. just an overall real good experience!!
[/quote]

Do you think the leather straps would help keep your hands from sliding in toward the middle of the bar? That is one problem that I am having when I do multiple reps. I use cotton straps. When doing HDL work I have to adjust my grip after every rep or two. Also, I have had to start wearing batting gloves (which are in abundance around my house) and putting a layer of cloth athletic tape over my calluses to keep from tearing them open. I think this is also a result of hands sliding in.

CT and all,

I’ve been having some intense lower back pain while doing SGHP’s, and more specifically it seems to come on when the weight is descending. Anyone else experience this? The pain has been so severe at times that it hurts to even stand. My form feels quite decent but I’m not sure if I am trying to stop the weight with the help of my lower back once it descends or what. Any help would be appreciated.[/quote]

I had this same problem, not the same extent, but it still hurt. I was using improper hip action and had my stance too wide. Since I started using better form and narrowed my stance up I have had no problems. I was taught in high school football strength training to initiate a power clean by popping the bar with my hips violently. I was using the same action to start the SGHP. That may be proper for a PC but not for a SGHP. CT straightened that out for me. I narrowed my stance to slightly inside shoulder width. I feel it helps me drive the bar up with my legs. No more lower back pain and my numbers on the lift have went up too.

[quote]OldOgre wrote:
Do you think the leather straps would help keep your hands from sliding in toward the middle of the bar? That is one problem that I am having when I do multiple reps. I use cotton straps. When doing HDL work I have to adjust my grip after every rep or two. Also, I have had to start wearing batting gloves (which are in abundance around my house) and putting a layer of cloth athletic tape over my calluses to keep from tearing them open. I think this is also a result of hands sliding in. [/quote]

Don’t batting gloves have a leather palm? I would think that would have enough grip.

I’ve been trialing using Mechanix gloves recently; I have knurling for my first two knuckles and smooth bar for my outer knuckles, and that combination was causing a lot of blistering. The gloves help save my hands.

I then use some nylon rubberized straps when I get to that point.