Lower Back Pain After Deadlifts

Hey guys, I have a problem, after any deadlift training ( especially High Reps ) the right portion of my lower back starts to hurt and this pain continues during the week. Could this be dangerous? What can I do to prevent it?

It could be a problem with your SI joint, that’s pretty common. Releasing your hip flexors will help if that’s the case. Either way, keep a neutral spine position and brace your abs.

Post video. Also X2 with this ^.

Side to side muscle imbalance.

When someone says they have pain in the lower back after deadlifting my mind immediately jumps to weak hams.

What do you DL, your stance and your RDL please?

I had the same issue with conventional deadlifts (same side as well). I switched to sumo deadlifts, and life has been grand ever since. There was a bit of a transition, but at this point, I will never go back to conventional.

If you don’t want to switch, one thing I can think of is the bottom of the lift. Do you touch and go (or even bounce)? If you don’t set up properly at the bottom by letting it sit for a second and reset, your form might be an issue.

Or, you can try deadlifting barefoot, which will bring you closer to the floor.

It could be related to your abs and hips. If those are working properly then I would think your lower spine/back shouldn’t hurt even if your form begins to break down. Posting a video will help better evaluate the problem. You can also switch to mat pulls or sumo for awhile to place more emphasis on your hips and give your lower back a break.

Here is the thing guys, I tend to bounce a lot and I dont think that my hams are that weak, and I always deadlift barefoot and conventional.

I put ice yesterday to that area and the pain went away for a while but it is starting to hurt again.

This could seriously be from almost anything having to do with your form. If you’re bouncing a lot, I would guess that you’re probably jerking the weight and you may be slightly right side dominant so it’s twisting and pulling on that side.

[quote]bigscarymonster wrote:
This could seriously be from almost anything having to do with your form. If you’re bouncing a lot, I would guess that you’re probably jerking the weight and you may be slightly right side dominant so it’s twisting and pulling on that side.[/quote]

Although it’s all but impossible to give good advice on this kind of thing via the Internet, this would be my guess as well. It is extremely common for people to be stronger through their right hamstring and glute max (as opposed to their left) due to the asymmetrical nature of many systems throughout the body.

Try slowing down your reps and focus on feeling your left heel as well as using your left hamstring and glute. It may help,

Do you use mixed grip? If so, do you supinate your right hand?

I had this as well, then it turned out to be a slight bulge in the disc. It it’s persistent, consider an MRI.

Switch to sumo as mentioned above, definitely felt better and never going back to conventional, especially if you have the pulling rod technique

Also make sure your lower back is conditioned, high reps reverse hypers/ extensions.

Stretch the glutes too.

Thanks for your tips guys now my lower back doesn’ t hurt anymore!

[quote]TheChosenOne98 wrote:
Here is the thing guys, I tend to bounce a lot and I dont think that my hams are that weak, and I always deadlift barefoot and conventional.

I put ice yesterday to that area and the pain went away for a while but it is starting to hurt again.[/quote]
stop bouncing your deadlifts and learn how to deadlift properly
read starting strength