Lower Back Injury. Suggestions on if What I'm Doing is Correct?

Hi Jim/all. I’ve been doing 5/3/1 for a while and was recently half way through phase 4 optional insanity feeling absolutely great and fit! Unfortunately I injured my lower back at work I am absolutely gutted! I went to the gp as soon as possible he said it’s my lower back and it’s aggravating my sciatic nerve. I could barley move or walk with back spasms. He gave me painkillers and anti inflammatory tablets and told me to rest. I however could not do this so booked into a chiropractor the same day. He said it’s an acute injury. It’s a l4-s1 (I think it’s an s not a 5) discal irritation/prolaspse with associated thoracic fault. (I can’t make out if it says fault or not but this is the closest word I can think of it to be) dysfunction and muscular spasm. That Is the Chiropractors analagogy. Anyway he did what he does cracked my back etc and gave me exercises and said stay away from the gym, gutted! I stayed away for a few days then did some reaseach and found a few things. Basically I can do dips, pull-ups, single foot cable squat and row, spine supported crunches, floor press. Basically I found a few articles. I have obviously been taking it very easy in the gym. But are these the correct type of things to be doing to try and maintain some strength and training pedigree?? Sorry, id like to add after the chiropractor cracked and stuck the pins in my back( I forget the correct term apologies) I could walk better the next day and improved again after the next appointment. I’m getting my energy back however I know if I move to quickly or sharply or train like I was the problem will come back and worse. I am having another week off work unfortunately as I work in construction (not ideal with this type of injury) . Am I doing he right thing to maintain some training fitness or could I be doing anything different and also could anyone add any input to what I can and should be doing? Thank you very much for reading and any replies, all will be greatly appreciated thank you.

Don’t do those drugs they gave you and go to the gym. You f up your lower back and you will pay for it the rest of your life. No gains at the gym are worth a life time of being in pain.

Ok thanks. I think it’s hit home now you’ve put it like that.

When you feel like you’ve healed up a bit go workout but don’t even take asprin let pain be your guide. Since this is your lower back jump on some of the machines that take your back out of the equation work on calves, delts and hamstrings. Biceps at the preachers bench.
It could be fun figuring out exersizes where your lower back is not in play. The big 4 are definitely out since they compress or put pressure on your spine but chinup, pullup, cable lat pulls all stretch the spine. I’ll bet you could come up with a killer workout while your lower back heals.
Best of luck to you.
Are you planning on doing any peptide or hgh to help the healing?

You told him not to take anti inflammatories, as suggested by his doctor, but are suggesting he takes HGH and peptides? Also, pull-ups can aggravate the lower back, as can cable rows.

Signed,
A guy with chronic back pain.

TAKE your anti inflammatories.

Ice regularly.

Rest and take some time off from the gym.

Do some spinal decompression like hanging from a pull-up bar for a few seconds at a time.

Get a massage, or some acupuncture.

Once you’ve hit the recovery phase, glute work, hamstring flexibility and strength, and abdominal work will all protect your lower back from further injury.

Man can’t you read?
I said don’t go to the gym on pain killers it will mask the pain and you can injure yourself more.
I only asked if he was considering peptides not recommending them. what’s the matter with you is english not your first language?

Dude, you said when he’s ready to go to the gym, to halt an anti inflammatory regimen. I’m saying don’t. And you asking if he’s considering HGH/peptides is unnecessary, as is your recommendation to do certain exercises that can aggravate the lower back.

Seek out a good sports physiotherapist, they can diagnose injuries, massage and prescribe exercise. Might be expensive but likely worth the money.

When you’re a feeling a whole less pain, and more of a discomfort, after you’ve seen a professional. Consider this EOD or pre workout:

Foam Roll:
As much pressure as tolerable 30s on tender/tight areas
Hip Flexors, TFL

Stretch:
Hip Flexors, Quads
2x 30s each

Activate:
Side Lying Leg Abductions 2x 12 each leg
Deadbug 2x12

Integrate:
Glute Bridge (BW) 2x12
Overhead Squat (BW) 2x 6

This should help your back feel like its carrying a whole lot less load by releasing your hips a bit. This is probably one for the future though mate.

Thanks very much for that mate. My back is feeling much better after chiro and having time off work and the gym, I’m walking much better, near enough normal, and the pain has gone. However I know not to go back to how I was training before and need to go easy when I go back to work on Monday as I can feel a nagging in my lower back. It’s basically telling me if I move to quickly or lift something to heavy whilst bending my back will surely go again. But I will keep seeing the chiro and doing the exercises he has recommended and look into developing the areas discussed when I am able to. Thanks for the responses.

1 Like

I’m glad that you are better.

I was just about to suggest massage but I see you got it sorted out.
I had stubborn back and neck pain for a while once, and massage took care of it in single going.

Right ok I go for my stage 1 review tomorrow st the chiropractors. I’m back in the gym (with ciros say so) doing pull ups goblets squats, dips. I see that glute strength, hamstring strength and flexibility and and ab work has been mentioned to protect my lower back in the future. (My chiro also said I could ohp and bench again however start light! ) my question is, would glute bridges with a barbell work for glute strength, Romanian deadlifts (starting light) for hamstring strength, I’ve found some stretches for hamstring flexibility (any that you know to work would and mentioned are appreciated). And hanging leg raises for ab work/ strength. Do these excercies sound like the best bang for my buck for my needs? Thanks

Yes, that sounds great. But I’d recommend the basics (something like my previous comment) first. Don’t run before you can walk, eg do at least a few weeks glute bridging body weight before you start to progressively overload and use weight.

EGs of how to progressively overload GB w/o weight: more reps, more sets, longer isometrics, shoulders elevated, feet elevated, single leg