T Nation

Lower Back Fatigue

Hello!

For 15 days now, after my last session with heavy deadlifts, my back has been feeling weird. It’s a feeling of fatigue, accompanied by a little stiffness and pain in the morning. This subsides during the day, but the feeling of fatigue/weakness is constant. I have not been doing deadlifts since, but I have done some light squats for low volume. No matter what I do, it doesn’t seem to go away or get worse. It’s constant. I have been stretching a lot, and it gives some immediate relief, but it comes back rather quickly.

I have been trying to focus on my lower back prior to this, with RDL, hypers etc… I also had three heavy weeks of lifting with PRs both in the squat and deadlift before this happened.

Does anyone have ANY idea what this could be? I’m starting to get a little worried…

I appreciate all replies!

Would you consider yourself a beginner, intermediate, advanced, or elite athlete? Heavy is relative, what poundage are you using?

[quote]CroatianRage wrote:
Would you consider yourself a beginner, intermediate, advanced, or elite athlete? Heavy is relative, what poundage are you using?[/quote]

Thanks for the reply. I would consider myself between intermediate/advanced.

Those weeks I had a squat PR, 440x1. I also had a PR in deadlift, 573x4. I went heavy several weeks in a row, heavier than I have ever done before. But I have never felt this way in my lower back. And I’m on my 17th day without deadlifts now, just did some light squatting.

Wouldn’t be a bad idea to back off a bit in intensity and volume for a couple more weeks. Minor sprain/strains should start feeling better in 4-6 weeks from onset. If it lingers beyond that get it checked out. Nice work on the PRs.