T Nation

Lower Back During Squats/Deads

hey guys, all positive comments will be much appreciated. I’ve been doing powerlifting training for a while now but theres something thing thats been really annoying and frustarating me. 1. I can’t perform Squats with a wide stance like I want to (i’m not completely sure why, maybe flexibility). and 2nd for some reason when I get into parallel my lower back rounds, it des the same in the start position for Deads. Anyone got any ideas on how to improve these things?

Sounds like you have tight hips / poor mobility.

[quote]animus wrote:
Sounds like you have tight hips / poor mobility.[/quote]

And what can I do to resolve this?

daily stretching, mobility drills. massage. do you have pain in your hips at all after running or leg days,

[quote]sofia86 wrote:
daily stretching, mobility drills. massage. do you have pain in your hips at all after running or leg days,
[/quote]

Not really, but then again when I have leg days I have no choice but to use a shoulder with stance, if I attempt to use a wide stance even with light weights it hurts.

Hip and hamstring mobility. Look up tons of mobility work, stretch, and just practice the stances you use with just the bar or bodyweight and keep pushing yourself down little by little in the right position.

[quote]Bailey H wrote:
hey guys, all positive comments will be much appreciated. I’ve been doing powerlifting training for a while now but theres something thing thats been really annoying and frustarating me. 1. I can’t perform Squats with a wide stance like I want to (i’m not completely sure why, maybe flexibility). and 2nd for some reason when I get into parallel my lower back rounds, it des the same in the start position for Deads. Anyone got any ideas on how to improve these things?[/quote]

Hey man, love the attitude, I’m a guy who prefers to keep things positive.

First, it does sound like a flexibility mobility issue. I’d highly recommend this warm up, it should cover all your bases.

I’d also add in some extra hip stretching, like a back foot elevated hip stretch to help you get to parallel, this really helps when you squat wide.

question 2

If your pelvis is rounding, that’s generally a sign of tight hamstrings. The above warm up should cover it, but it may be worth adding in some other hamstring stretches for a few weeks until it stops happening.

My question for you: Why do you feel to do powerlifting training you have to squat wide?

It’s your call all the way, and from your avatar, you’re clearly no stranger in the weightroom. Also, I know you watch a lot of Dave tate’s stuff, I’ve seen you post his videos, Daves awesome, but he has a strong background in multi ply lifting, and the only time I feel this squat style is appropriate is when you’re in gear.

The obvious argument is that you take advantage of stronger muscles by squatting wide.

My response, you may never get below parallel, and if you do, it will take crazy flexibility.

I simply feel the wide stance is meant to be used for parallel and above parallel squatting.

If that’s what you want, all the power to you, this sport is whatever you want to make it.

Personally, I think this is the best squat I’ve ever seen, and I want mine to look like it… that’s just my personal opinion though.

He doesn’t go crazy deep, but he sinks it.

Hope my answers helped man, let me know if you have any other questions at all

I squat raw (never lifted in gear, ever) and moved from a conventional stance (which was already strong) to pretty f’ng wide and over a few months, put over 100 pounds on my squat. It takes way more flexibility and mobility, which is a challenge. I also think I was built way better for wide stance, so it varies I believe. But, no, wide squats are not just for multi-ply lifting. The best thing I did was just hold onto the power rack, get in my stance, and squat as low as I could without pulling. Hold it, relax, and keep letting it sink until I hit depth. Do that several times a day and you’ll get it.

[quote]Larry10 wrote:

[quote]Bailey H wrote:
hey guys, all positive comments will be much appreciated. I’ve been doing powerlifting training for a while now but theres something thing thats been really annoying and frustarating me. 1. I can’t perform Squats with a wide stance like I want to (i’m not completely sure why, maybe flexibility). and 2nd for some reason when I get into parallel my lower back rounds, it des the same in the start position for Deads. Anyone got any ideas on how to improve these things?[/quote]

Hey man, love the attitude, I’m a guy who prefers to keep things positive.

First, it does sound like a flexibility mobility issue. I’d highly recommend this warm up, it should cover all your bases.

I’d also add in some extra hip stretching, like a back foot elevated hip stretch to help you get to parallel, this really helps when you squat wide.

question 2

If your pelvis is rounding, that’s generally a sign of tight hamstrings. The above warm up should cover it, but it may be worth adding in some other hamstring stretches for a few weeks until it stops happening.

My question for you: Why do you feel to do powerlifting training you have to squat wide?

It’s your call all the way, and from your avatar, you’re clearly no stranger in the weightroom. Also, I know you watch a lot of Dave tate’s stuff, I’ve seen you post his videos, Daves awesome, but he has a strong background in multi ply lifting, and the only time I feel this squat style is appropriate is when you’re in gear.

The obvious argument is that you take advantage of stronger muscles by squatting wide.

My response, you may never get below parallel, and if you do, it will take crazy flexibility.

I simply feel the wide stance is meant to be used for parallel and above parallel squatting.

If that’s what you want, all the power to you, this sport is whatever you want to make it.

Personally, I think this is the best squat I’ve ever seen, and I want mine to look like it… that’s just my personal opinion though.

He doesn’t go crazy deep, but he sinks it.

Hope my answers helped man, let me know if you have any other questions at all[/quote]

Thanks for your post. I’ve also read some of your stuff and you seem like a pretty smart guy. By the way thats not me in my avi thats kind of the back ive always wanted haha. And don’t get me wrong, I don’t feel the NEED to squat wide, its just that it looks like it could acually be easier to reach parallel once I get the flexibility part down (looks like less distance to travel). I’m raw at the moment but I have no idea what the futureholds for me. I think once I get a few more years of powerlifting training under me then i’ll think about buying gear. I will be buying the Slingshot after xmas though. I actually just went on youtube and saw videos of guys at Westside doing max effort wide squats and just thought “sh*t I want to do that!” haha

hey man, as long as it’s fun, that’s all that really matters

[quote]LittleThuggie wrote:
I squat raw (never lifted in gear, ever) and moved from a conventional stance (which was already strong) to pretty f’ng wide and over a few months, put over 100 pounds on my squat. It takes way more flexibility and mobility, which is a challenge. I also think I was built way better for wide stance, so it varies I believe. But, no, wide squats are not just for multi-ply lifting. The best thing I did was just hold onto the power rack, get in my stance, and squat as low as I could without pulling. Hold it, relax, and keep letting it sink until I hit depth. Do that several times a day and you’ll get it. [/quote]

I did the same thing man, then I started getting depth calls at meets.

If you can pull it off, more power to you

[quote]Larry10 wrote:

I squat raw (never lifted in gear, ever) and moved from a conventional stance (which was already strong) to pretty f’ng wide and over a few months, put over 100 pounds on my squat. It takes way more flexibility and mobility, which is a challenge. I also think I was built way better for wide stance, so it varies I believe. But, no, wide squats are not just for multi-ply lifting. The best thing I did was just hold onto the power rack, get in my stance, and squat as low as I could without pulling. Hold it, relax, and keep letting it sink until I hit depth. Do that several times a day and you’ll get it. [/quote]

If you can pull it off, more power to you[/quote]

Oh, it was definitely the hardest part of powerlifting for me. I would pick an easy weight, but one that was still heavy enough to hold me down - usually 315 or so - and just do reps where I’d let it sink me kinda slow til I got below parallel. Every warm up would also have to revolve around those squats I talked about before. Things like that, lunges, split squats, etc. It’s just something you have to do ALL the time and NEVER stop lol.

[quote]Larry10 wrote:
hey man, as long as it’s fun, that’s all that really matters[/quote]

Don’t get me wrong, I love powerlifting training. I might have abit of a mental block about it too because it’s been frustrating me for a while. It’s just one of my goals to squat wide. I’ll get there eventually I just wanted to know what I could do to help it. The squat is by far my worst lift.

[quote]Larry10 wrote:

If you can pull it off, more power to you[/quote]

Oh, it was definitely the hardest part of powerlifting for me. I would pick an easy weight, but one that was still heavy enough to hold me down - usually 315 or so - and just do reps where I’d let it sink me kinda slow til I got below parallel. Every warm up would also have to revolve around those squats I talked about before. Things like that, lunges, split squats, etc. It’s just something you have to do ALL the time and NEVER stop lol. [/quote]

This is excellent advice in general, not just for squatting wide.

[quote]Bailey H wrote:

[quote]Larry10 wrote:
hey man, as long as it’s fun, that’s all that really matters[/quote]

Don’t get me wrong, I love powerlifting training. I might have abit of a mental block about it too because it’s been frustrating me for a while. It’s just one of my goals to squat wide. I’ll get there eventually I just wanted to know what I could do to help it. The squat is by far my worst lift.[/quote]

Hopefully the advice above helps man, I squatted wide for a while, and I enjoyed it, I hope you do too