T Nation

Lower Back DL Pain

I did deadlifts the other day and I think I did them wrong this time around. My lower back hurts likes a bitch!

It’s not muscle soreness, I know what that feels like. It’s in my spinal area. Should I be worried? I want to keep working out hard, but maybe I should take a few days off and wait until everything gets back to normal.

Any chance of permanent damage?

I did that a couple times when I didn’t have good form. I’d say wait it out, the pain should be gone within a day, otherwise, maybe check out a doctor. Do you wear a weight lifting belt? If not, you may want to consider investing in one to help prevent these type of back issues.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

i agree the belt at this point wont do anything but probably encourage bad form

to the OP

review your DL form once again…read the Cressey artciles on the deadlift, practice your form without weight for a couple weeks, keep training hard but just do deadlifts with the bar only working on form for a while.

i agree with Alteredstate on seeing a good chiro, and also with mag mobility, everyone should be doing those the drills in that DVD pre workout. If the pain persists or gets worse id do this:

Buy a foam roller-the hardest one you can find

also pickup a tennis ball
go to youtube and search Cressey Performance and do the Foam rolling and tennis ball tissue work demonstrated.

when you sleep try putting a pillow under your knees and sleeping on your back.

getting some ART could help as well if you have some adhesions/scar tissue

-take fish oil

consider a deep tissue massage

these things in combination have been working really well for me lately…I have what seems to be a shit load of scar tissue right above my glute around the QL. Sometimes i will wake up and there will be a big ass bump right in that area. its like the tissue accumlates there over night or something…im not sure, its quite odd

anyways fix the problem now, or else things could get potentially bad

Does it hurt when preforming the lift? Deadlifts tweak my back, they always have and always will. The day after going all out there is some tightness right above my ass but with foam rolling, stretching, and mobility drills, it goes away.

Unless the pain intensifies while doing the movement(after a nice long warm up), keep at it and give it a week or two. If it’s an injury you will know it, otherwise it’s just your body telling you you are an asshole(happens to me all the time).

It is probable nothing. Don’t worry about unless it hurt for more than a few days. I would be will to place money on the fact that you either have no abs strength or you are not using your abs. In either case, your lower back is probably rounding a bit.

Firstly, you need to see a physio about the problem so they can assess it. Secondly, If its disc related, you should stop lifting free weights until you get the all clear. Disc problems are hard to train around any they a particularly prone to worsening if training continues. This may seem like the worst thing in the wolrd, but i wish I had done it when I felt my back ‘tweak’.

I went to my GP and she gave me these rough anti-inflamatries which completedly got ride of my pain. worst thing in the world. one month later i wound up with a herniated disc and was unable to get out of bed, drive or work let alone go to the gym. Core training/activation has been the one thing which has enabled me to start lifting again as well as a lot of flexibilty training to ease the pain.

Also, belts are good when performing really heavy lifts in the gym, but back injuries are not generally acute, meaning one bad lift wont necessarily cause it. they are chronic and develop over a long period of time if the individual has poor core strength and coordination.

Ps Im an exercise physiologist, so I know a bit about injury and training, and please dont listen to Analog_kid

[quote]AlteredState wrote:
BoS wrote:
I did that a couple times when I didn’t have good form. I’d say wait it out, the pain should be gone within a day, otherwise, maybe check out a doctor. Do you wear a weight lifting belt? If not, you may want to consider investing in one to help prevent these type of back issues.

How will a back belt encourage your muscles to get stronger, when it is doing the work for them?

Belts are not a good idea unless you are lifting a shitload of weight, IMO.

Better to have your kinetic chain assessed and corrected. Do some mobility and activation work - see magnificent mobility DVD for ideas.

In the mean time see a good chiro.[/quote]

I think that’s stupid. Your back is nothing to fuck around with. I use a belt, it’s not doing any work for me, it’s just keeping me in check and helping me not round my back and screw me up for life. It doesn’t matter how much weight you’re lifting, if it’s hurting your back, you need to improve form and maybe have a little support.

Whatever, do what you want, but, there’s nothing fun about not being able to move or bend without hurting just because using a belt limited your workout, or so they claim.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Its not stupid. I agree with AlteredState. A belt isn’t necessary unless you’re planning on using a shit load of weight.

The whole idea behind using a belt is to aid in increasing intra abdominal pressure in order to to stabilize the lower back. You’d be better off learning how to brace you’re abs and using bridges and its variations, palloff presses, and other exercises that emphasize core stability.

I agree that the back is nothing to fuck around with. I hurt my back in December and could barely bend over to tie my shoe laces. 6-7 months later, I’m back squatting and deadlifting almost pain free. No belt. Emphasize hip mobility, soft tissue work, activation of the right muscles, and core stability and you’re golden.

In my opinion, a belt may have its place in very heavy loads. However, if you have a unstable core, you’d be better off building it up rather than trying to cover your weakness with a belt.

While I can’t say I’ve studied chiro for 4 years like AlteredState, I’ve read enough studies about what belts do for your firing patterns (as he mentioned) to convince me to not buy one. Heck, T-Nation had a big article about that a few months back if I recall correctly, very comprehensive.

Bottom line is, almost nobody should be using a belt on a regular basis. Especially not people who need, more than anything else, to encourage proper form without artificial support.

I wrecked my back a while ago. This is what I did to get better.

1.) Foam Rolling
2.) Lots of time off compressive loading
3.) Foam Rolling (quads, hams, hips, glutes)
4.) Went to Cressey Performance (lucky me)
5.) Single Leg Work
6.) Core work (planks and variations)

Hope its all better soon man; these can linger…Don’t be stupid.

Lastly; I was stupid alot; I took 3mo off compressive loading, did some stiff legged deadlifts; was back at square one (at home with an ice pack).

Just stretch your self out, most likely your psoas, adductors are the culprit, then open up your hamstrings and glutes you should be ok. But you probably need to lighten the weight and straighten your back.

[quote]dlonra wrote:
<<Secondly, If its disc related, you should stop lifting free weights until you get the all clear. Disc problems are hard to train around any they a particularly prone to worsening if training continues. This may seem like the worst thing in the wolrd, but i wish I had done it when I felt my back ‘tweak’.>>[/quote]

Me too.

I also wish I had known about foam rolling, glute activation, hip mobility, and core stability when I got injured. Those are the things that fix it and enable you to lift again. Carefully.

[quote]AlterEgo721 wrote:
I did deadlifts the other day and I think I did them wrong this time around. My lower back hurts likes a bitch!

It’s not muscle soreness, I know what that feels like. It’s in my spinal area. Should I be worried? I want to keep working out hard, but maybe I should take a few days off and wait until everything gets back to normal.

Any chance of permanent damage? [/quote]

When I first started deadlifting and doing good mornings, my low back (erectors) would hurt for 5-6 days after a hard session. Not really a painful hurt, just a very sore hurt. I recall it being hard for me to stand on my feet for more than a 1/2 hour without having to sit down.

It would hurt to sit up straight and flex my low back. I was using good form, but i believe it was my posterior chain that was just weak over all. I still get sore after deadlifts, rdls, and good mornings, but not nearly as sore.

As long and you are arching your low back (not rounding) as hard as you can, you should be relatively safe. Also make sure you are using your glutes and thrusting your hips forward with them (your glutes are key).

I would however make sure you don’t go super heavy too soon. Work up to it. No need for a belt in my opinion unless you are powerlifting or going for a 1 rep max. Even then, I don’t use a belt. For a beginner to intermediate, I believe it can cause a lot more problems then it is worth. Hope this helps you.

For an informed opinion on the use of belts for heavy lifting, Dr Stuart McGill has a paper on his website that is very objective.

In a nutshell - no belt except for max effort attempts. However, if you have been using a belt for some time, do NOT stop using it cold turkey with the same weights.

[quote]Jakebambeeno wrote:

When I first started deadlifting and doing good mornings, my low back (erectors) would hurt for 5-6 days after a hard session. Not really a painful hurt, just a very sore hurt.>>[/quote]

Please note that the OP specifically said it is NOT muscle soreness he is experiencing, but spinal pain.

There is a huge difference between the two.

[quote]andersons wrote:
Jakebambeeno wrote:

When I first started deadlifting and doing good mornings, my low back (erectors) would hurt for 5-6 days after a hard session. Not really a painful hurt, just a very sore hurt.>>

Please note that the OP specifically said it is NOT muscle soreness he is experiencing, but spinal pain.

There is a huge difference between the two.

[/quote]

Yeah, I know. Just wanted to make sure he wasn’t confusing his spine with his erectors. Anyways, just sharing my experience.