Lower Back Burn / Squats?

I have an issue, my legs can push more, but my lower back burns after every set of squats. It’s not an injury, feels like lactic acid build-up. I’m fine during deadlifts.

Any ideas and what I should be doing to strengthen it? Is it possibly form related?

[quote]Z-Man wrote:
I have an issue, my legs can push more, but my lower back burns after every set of squats. It’s not an injury, feels like lactic acid build-up. I’m fine during deadlifts.

Any ideas and what I should be doing to strengthen it? Is it possibly form related?[/quote]

If it is truly an issue of lower back weakness or a low lactic acid tolerance in the low back (not sure if it works like that) then perhaps some higher rep work for that area is in order. In either case, it can’t hurt. Back raises, good mornings, reverse hypers, etc. might do you some good if your lower back is what is holding you back.

-MAtt

[quote]Matgic wrote:
Z-Man wrote:
I have an issue, my legs can push more, but my lower back burns after every set of squats. It’s not an injury, feels like lactic acid build-up. I’m fine during deadlifts.

Any ideas and what I should be doing to strengthen it? Is it possibly form related?

If it is truly an issue of lower back weakness or a low lactic acid tolerance in the low back (not sure if it works like that) then perhaps some higher rep work for that area is in order. In either case, it can’t hurt. Back raises, good mornings, reverse hypers, etc. might do you some good if your lower back is what is holding you back.

-MAtt[/quote]

What he said, plus stay away from leg press as it could exacerbate the problem. Also, throw in Romanian Dead lifts and Rack Pulls.

it could also be your form. Do you rest the bar really high up on your traps (like on your neck)? Try to get it nice and low. Also, make sure you’re sitting back into your squat, not leaning forward too much.

The more forward lean you’ve got and the higher the bar, the more leverage the weight is putting on your low back and hips. Maybe try front squats, they tend to keep you more upright and might take some of the strain of the low back.

[quote]m0dd3r wrote:
it could also be your form. Do you rest the bar really high up on your traps (like on your neck)? Try to get it nice and low. Also, make sure you’re sitting back into your squat, not leaning forward too much.

The more forward lean you’ve got and the higher the bar, the more leverage the weight is putting on your low back and hips. Maybe try front squats, they tend to keep you more upright and might take some of the strain of the low back.[/quote]

Totally, work a Zercher squat for a couple of sessions and see if it resolved. Do a search on here to find out proper form, etc.

Also, as posted above, good mornings, reverse hypers and Romanian DL’s help tremendously.

B.

That’s incredible. Who gets a burn in their lower back? I’m pretty sure that’s a lifting first.

Ironically I get it when I jog at a slow pace. Doesn’t happen when I use anything resembling sprint form though.

Also happens to me during a LONG set of squats (20 rep), but that is to be expected.

Simple solution - reduce your reps and lift heavier.

[quote]m0dd3r wrote:
it could also be your form. Do you rest the bar really high up on your traps (like on your neck)? Try to get it nice and low. Also, make sure you’re sitting back into your squat, not leaning forward too much.

The more forward lean you’ve got and the higher the bar, the more leverage the weight is putting on your low back and hips. Maybe try front squats, they tend to keep you more upright and might take some of the strain of the low back.[/quote]

I used to get terrible lower back pain from squats as well. But after doing the things spoken of above it went away. I think the pain is the combined result of lower back weakness and poor form. I added many of the deadlift variations to my routines and paid close attention to my squat form. After a while my lower back became my strong point and the pain dissapeared. Good luck.

Unless it’s really holding you back you may just consider working through it too assuming proper form. It’ll go away as that area becomes stronger which squats will do. I’m not saying to discount what’s been said, but maybe it’s not as big a problem as it seems if it isn’t forcing you to sacrifice form in which case it may even be unsafe with squats.

–Tiribulus->